Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?  (Read 2557 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:21 pm »

I realised when a random worker and a child fell into magma due to a cave-in accident, and my only thought was 'meh'.
And again when a similar accident flung a few children into the chasm, one lost forever and a few being maimed.

Now there's a farmer who's fallen from caved-in constructions TWICE, being badly injured each time, all before he grew up.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:11:03 pm »

I love all of my dwarves. Love them to death with cave ins and magma!

Seriously though, I hated them when I realized that they wouldn't butcher the bodies of sentients. Seriously, all of that valuable goblin meat just rotting in the fields, feeding the bugs! DEMANDS 1/1: Goblin Tallow Roast.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »

I can't bring myself to hate my dwarves :| I keep my popcap at 100 and by the time migrants stop coming I know each and every dwarf and they're all nicknamed. And with temporary residence excluded, I spoil the hell out of each and every one of them.

Not to say that I haven't screamed at my monitor before. Sometimes love is tough.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »

Actually, the analogy between real life and DF is sometimes a little too close for comfort. My first love affair with DF came to an abrupt end when I got my first goblin snatching incident - a few months after my first child was born. Gave the game up on the spot, and didn't look at it again for half a year.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »

When I discovered that they hated me. Always doing stupid things to upset me like channel the square they're standing on, or wall themselves in a corner and starve. And I can't even just let those idiots die or it will make all their distant relatives incredibly angry and !!boop!! end of fortress.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 08:10:41 pm »

I got tired of migrants and constructed a bridge to keep them out. Wanting to let the trade caravan in, I didn't lock it up entirely. Instead, when the migrants came, I ordered everyone inside and started to switch the bridge on repeat.
Now, this is when I understood:
The dwarves started entering my fortress. The bridge went up, down, up, down, flinging about half of them into a huge pit, where they would explode on contact with the ground.
And I laughed.
Oh how I laughed.

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:55 pm »

I got tired of migrants and constructed a bridge to keep them out. Wanting to let the trade caravan in, I didn't lock it up entirely. Instead, when the migrants came, I ordered everyone inside and started to switch the bridge on repeat.
Now, this is when I understood:
The dwarves started entering my fortress. The bridge went up, down, up, down, flinging about half of them into a huge pit, where they would explode on contact with the ground.
And I laughed.
Oh how I laughed.
'
I am going to try this. If I put cage traps in the pit will the dwarves be caged?
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:07 pm »

Well, my pit was 10 z-levels high. The dwarves instantly burst into many, many pieces when they hit the ground. However, if you have a pit maybe 5 z-levels high with cage traps at the bottom, any unconscious dwarves will be caged. I'm not sure about what height would be the best.
Another idea would be to just have the pit be 1 level high, and wait until the dwarves go berserk, at which point they will be instantly caged; any melancholies will just die. But acceptable losses, neh?

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

I think it's less a question of "hatred" and more along the lines of "complete apathy."

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 08:52:30 pm »

Yay! Now I can finally open a dwarf zoo. :P

"And on the left we have a Urist McMcPeasant of the  'Migrant' family."
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Macuahuitl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 09:32:57 pm »

I love my original seven and useful (haha) immigrants. Lye makers, cheese makers, fish cleaners and the like are sometimes forced to live on a lower floor lovingly decorated with floodgates and strange levers. I don't like those ones.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »

Well, my pit was 10 z-levels high. The dwarves instantly burst into many, many pieces when they hit the ground. However, if you have a pit maybe 5 z-levels high with cage traps at the bottom, any unconscious dwarves will be caged. I'm not sure about what height would be the best.

3-4z is pretty good for minimal harm, maximum capture. Can't remember if 3 works but 4 definitely does, guaranteed. And for the record, the same is possible for elven traders :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:42:29 pm by Retro »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »

This gives me a great idea. Make two fortresses: One for the useful people, and one for the non-useful people. All the worthless fish-dissector migrants get drafted and stationed on a 10x10 bridge. The bridge lever is pulled, and they fall down one z-level into the lower fortress. In the lower fortress, the dwarves are forced to eke out a living on a handful of farming tiles producing plump helmets. The non-farming dwarves spend their entire lives churning out thousands of stone crafts, which they throw into a pit that leads back into the main fortress. When there are too many dwarves, the excess useless migrants starve. Also, you can make them all meet in a 1x1 meeting area. They will become the best friends of each other, and when one goes berserk, you can watch the delicious, delicious tantrum spiral.

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 09:47:55 pm »

I started to hate them when I had triple digit idlers and two dozen glass makers on a map with no sand, after drowning eleven of the buggers... >.> bastards... So I decided to forbid all the food and flood random sections of the fortress.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 10:54:11 pm »

I don't hate them.
I do, however, feel nothing (if you know what I mean) for anything that isn't my favorite.   ;)
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!
Pages: 1 [2] 3