Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?  (Read 2549 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »

I hate some and love some.

Migrants are the worst. I regularly draft them, station them on my drawbridge, and raise the bridge while cackling wildly.
Normal dwarves are still pretty bad. If a few die, I fear the tantrum but don't really care about the dwarves themselves.
Useful dwarves, like woodcutters, are valuable. I am upset when they die, but I can always make more, right?
The best dwarf I've ever had was a mason. Logem, I believe his name was. He was legendary, created probably 80% of the statues in the fortress he was in. My dining hall was legendary because of him, I had rooms lined with dozens of statues because of his excellent skill.
One day he ventured out and was killed by a goblin.
I was crushed. I wanted to make the greatest mausoleum ever, possibly an entire z-level with colored floors in the shape of a hammer. Statues abounding, his favorite things scattered around. Unfortunately my fortress was overrun before I got a chance... sigh.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »

I started to hate them when I had triple digit idlers and two dozen glass makers on a map with no sand, after drowning eleven of the buggers... >.> bastards... So I decided to forbid all the food and flood random sections of the fortress.

I've learned to just utterly ignore whatever their stated supposed job is.

I assign labors to dwarves based upon their preferences first (like green glass?  Congrats, you're either a glass blower or a gem engraver!  Like rope reed?  Weaver/clothier/dyer!) and whatever else I need to fill second.

Even if it's something like armorsmith, I don't care, I just give dwarves jobs based on what they would be happiest with, it helps ensure no tantrums, and a happy-happy fort.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Enola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 01:20:37 am »

I had such a moment just right now. After the first large goblin siege, which killed 4 of my 7 legendary champions (yay for walking into a barrage of crossbow bolts one by one), it just went downhill. Half of the population suddenly was unhappy and one by one went into a spiral of tantrums and insanity with even more casualties. In a matter of less than a season, I lost like 30 dwarves with no signs of that spiral stopping. Guess it's time to start over.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:04 am »

What I plan to do in my next fortress is to wall off a population of dwarves who don't have friends with the others, and create a pure food mini-fortress in there. If disaster strikes, they can leave and have years and years of food to spare.

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 09:11:39 am »

All dwarves are equal, but some are more equal than others.
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:31 am »

This gives me a great idea. Make two fortresses: One for the useful people, and one for the non-useful people. All the worthless fish-dissector migrants get drafted and stationed on a 10x10 bridge. The bridge lever is pulled, and they fall down one z-level into the lower fortress. In the lower fortress, the dwarves are forced to eke out a living on a handful of farming tiles producing plump helmets. The non-farming dwarves spend their entire lives churning out thousands of stone crafts, which they throw into a pit that leads back into the main fortress. When there are too many dwarves, the excess useless migrants starve. Also, you can make them all meet in a 1x1 meeting area. They will become the best friends of each other, and when one goes berserk, you can watch the delicious, delicious tantrum spiral.

I do something similar, except have a surface fortress and a below ground, proper fortress.

The original 7 dig deep, then seal themselves off from the outside world completely. Their descendants create the underground utopia, never seeing the light of day above.

Above ground, and in a very shallow fortress, only a few Z levels deep at most, are the rejects. Those late comers just wallow in filth. No defenses. Just a meeting zone, a small farm, and a well.

Goblins regularly come and slaughter everything. Its also underground so the bones remain.

Sadly the blood and vomit does not also remain forever.  :(

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 04:03:33 pm »

This gives me a great idea. Make two fortresses: One for the useful people, and one for the non-useful people. All the worthless fish-dissector migrants get drafted and stationed on a 10x10 bridge. The bridge lever is pulled, and they fall down one z-level into the lower fortress. In the lower fortress, the dwarves are forced to eke out a living on a handful of farming tiles producing plump helmets. The non-farming dwarves spend their entire lives churning out thousands of stone crafts, which they throw into a pit that leads back into the main fortress. When there are too many dwarves, the excess useless migrants starve. Also, you can make them all meet in a 1x1 meeting area. They will become the best friends of each other, and when one goes berserk, you can watch the delicious, delicious tantrum spiral.

I do something similar, except have a surface fortress and a below ground, proper fortress.

The original 7 dig deep, then seal themselves off from the outside world completely. Their descendants create the underground utopia, never seeing the light of day above.

Above ground, and in a very shallow fortress, only a few Z levels deep at most, are the rejects. Those late comers just wallow in filth. No defenses. Just a meeting zone, a small farm, and a well.

Goblins regularly come and slaughter everything. Its also underground so the bones remain.

Sadly the blood and vomit does not also remain forever.  :(

Now I have to do this myself.
Pages: 1 2 [3]