Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?  (Read 2554 times)

Elijah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:45:24 am »

What was the precise moment you knew you couldn't care less about those little nasty dwarves? For example when you were so tired of children, you decided to let them taste magma.

I went into the "hating them" phase when I found out all my little minions were naked, as the clothes slowly wore off, and I didn't make any clothing industry.

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did you understand you hated all those dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:02:12 am »

I love each and every one.

Azulth

• Bay Watcher
  • No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:55 am »

The very first day I saw those little smiley faces.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:59:22 am »

They may be naked, alcoholic, dysfunctional, suicidal, brain-damaged lemmings, but damnit, they're MY resources slavish minions throng of worshippers naked, alcoholic, dysfunctional, suicidal, brain-damaged lemmings!  And I'm going to exploit them restrict their freedom to kill themselves squeeze every drop of blood from that stone protect them!

----

edit: Basically, years of playing SRPG games with characters who level up over time has taught me that you never, EVER accept a casualty for any reason. XP must never be wasted.  I don't care how stupid or pointless or easily replaced the XP is, you don't let it go to waste!  No fatalities, no glaring mistakes, happy dwarves only, FINAL DESTINATION!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:02:06 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Boatmurdered

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:02 am »

The day I realised that my population was topping 88, and due to a lack of assigned beds, they decided that it was ok to sleep in the barracks or prison.

More recently, when building a wall, none of the dorfs decided to see what was behind, and they walled in my mayor, who's one of the founding seven.

Also, when I have one worker who cancels nearly every task because he's still in pain from a fire imp burning his eye out 5 years ago, and passing out at horrible moments.
I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:52 am »

Basically, years of playing SRPG games with characters who level up over time has taught me that you never, EVER accept a casualty for any reason. XP must never be wasted.  I don't care how stupid or pointless or easily replaced the XP is, you don't let it go to waste!  No fatalities, no glaring mistakes, happy dwarves only, FINAL DESTINATION!

Oh I wish I could shake that one of while playing df.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: When did you understand you hated all those elves?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:42:39 am »

still have not reach that level of hate but seeing barrels and barrels of rope reed clothes made me realize how much a lost cause they are in trading...
I wish those kobolds traded in my current fort they give such great loot for thieves.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:40:09 pm »

They may be naked, alcoholic, dysfunctional, suicidal, brain-damaged lemmings, but damnit, they're MY resources slavish minions throng of worshippers naked, alcoholic, dysfunctional, suicidal, brain-damaged lemmings!  And I'm going to exploit them restrict their freedom to kill themselves squeeze every drop of blood from that stone protect them!

----

edit: Basically, years of playing SRPG games with characters who level up over time has taught me that you never, EVER accept a casualty for any reason. XP must never be wasted.  I don't care how stupid or pointless or easily replaced the XP is, you don't let it go to waste!  No fatalities, no glaring mistakes, happy dwarves only, FINAL DESTINATION!

Yes!  Exactly that, this is my answer too, only Kohaku said it way better than I would have  ;D
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Elijah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 03:55:51 pm »

Yes you're right. I experienced that firstly with X-COM, then with the Tales of Lodi, another SRPG finalfantasy tactics alike.

Anyway, that doesn't stop me to continue hating them. In an earlier game, my first miner married with the mayor. I was so excited. Then a fire imp, when I accidently found a magma pipe, killed the miner. The magic went away, and I made the his wife get killed in the same way, slowly burning to fireballs. The smell of burned meat and clothes lasted in the whole fortress for the years to come...

Comrade Ankh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:24:10 pm »

Never. Or, well, I haven't yet. I'm still in the phase where any dwarf I find a reason to hit gets caged and released in the unicorn pit. Until then, they're all my beloved little snowflakes.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

I don't hate my dwarves. I love them. Each single one of them. I love them to death.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 05:39:41 pm »

I love all the little bastards.
Except the lye makers...

never the lye makers

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 05:40:09 pm »

I have not yet reached this point, but that may be due to my tendency to abandon my fort at first sight of migrants.
:P
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »

I used to suffer from the "Let none suffer ill!" problem, but I've recently awoken to a different form of gameplay.

It's all about the engravings.

If one of your dorfs suffers terribly or dies in an interesting way, you might just get a cool engraving about it. So I welcome casualties - not in the all-out magma-wash, but some interesting tale, getting pin-cushioned by goblins or going mad and getting brained by your fortress guard.

Not that I don't love my dorfs - I just see them more in a god-like rather than paternal way. Let them go forth and make interesting tales, complete with triumphs and ignominious defeat. Let them achieve glory for my fortress.

And then I abandon and start a new one, and their annals are written in the history of my world.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.
Pages: [1] 2 3