Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104484 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13200 on: November 04, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »

Yes, and that avatar is called Rumrusher.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13201 on: November 11, 2016, 02:05:40 am »

(click thumbnail to expand)

Just milling around at the freezing top of the world with new peasant dwarf hunter Num Muddyboots the Wanderer of Rivers, who I believe was given the correct personality facets to ensure a somewhat consistent AI response. But who knows, as I'd have to play him for a bit before retiring to see what changed. I had a test character with above average patience and fairly low assertiveness produce the odd behaviour of slowing down his speech when agitated. Didn't really think a no stress, emotionless dwarf could get antsy. So that month of fortress life really did something quite unfortunate.

He visits the northernmost fortress surrounded by glacier. Sometimes better than taiga is tundra. It's a world of very little light.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the way up to the northernmost human city/town, there's a stop at a waterfall in mid-morning. Spent a few days trying to gauge when the river would freeze over before taking the plunge.
The express emotions screen is useful to check up on whether you've incurred any trauma. So far Num has not been struck, or killed sentients, though he has fallen out of a two trees while collecting branches. Neither instance incurred enough damage to trigger trauma. While it's a great exercise to run a character who never gets hurt, roleplay-wise pain and injury are important. How resilient can a character be, if they've never fallen down? Conor McGregor was wrong. Winners may only think about winning, but smart, durable losers think about how they lost and what they can gain from it. While it is possible to produce clean, precision injury, it's also incredibly artificial. You can always find a biter, wait for small appendages to get targeted and let the hit roll in to scar up without the danger of infection. So yeah, antiseptic as well as contrived.

The first of the nude elves in a town rife with abandoned buildings:

The local hammerman gives somewhat useful info, and so bandits are expected.

But it's actually one of these towns…
where everyone lives in the walls of the keep.

Yet another reason why seaside towns are just better than landlocked towns.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13202 on: November 12, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »

Just finished clearing out my very first
and now I'm hauling a ton of
back to a reclaimed fortress of mine so that my dwarves can forge sweet, sweet weapons of war.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13203 on: November 14, 2016, 10:25:57 am »

You trip over the oak branch!
You lose balance!
Your head slams into an obstacle!
A chunk of diorite breaks loose by the impact!
The chunk of diorite hits your head, crushing the skull!
You lose consciousness.
You have bled to death. [FINISH]

Disclaimer: This didn't actually happen, but I thought it was pretty funny.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:36:44 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13204 on: November 14, 2016, 10:38:10 am »

the head exploding into gore from the fall probably what would happen than giving adventurers a way to mine rocks with their heads.
so uhh my current adventures have been halted at the moment, mostly messing with conversations and getting around not being able to get hearthspersons do to my no fame playstyle.

some how noticing there is a option to make someone a tavern keeper in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:41:39 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

tehepicwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13205 on: November 15, 2016, 02:19:59 am »

My sworddwarf, Vabok, "The Beard of Insight," was going around the area today when I learned of a criminal organization in a nearby town called Gildedspoons. I never took on criminals before, so I thought it would be fun to slash their heads off. Vabok had around 50 kills at this point from going on rampages in Hillocks and killing bandits, and was an adept sword user. My adventure as a heroic-mass murderer was going well, but for some reason I couldn't find any metal armour for the waist down. Not a single soldier dwarf had the armour I needed.

With this setup, I went to Gildedspoons with my three companions: An axedwarf, a hammer man, and a crossbow man. I realized that I didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do to find the criminals. I searched it up on Google and still didn't know anything. With boredom setting in after a hour, I went to find the lord of Gildedspoons. I decapitated him with a single swift stroke. I proceeded to murder his consort and all of his loyal soldiers. The battle was over, with a crapton of corpses, severed arms, severed heads, and a criminal organization still on the loose. Oh well. Nonetheless, I did what anyone would do: Claim Gildedspoons as my own.

Of course, once a rampage begins, it must continue. I walked out of the building and into the market. I decided to try killing the merchants, which didn't end well. I underestimated the number of merchants in the market, and let me just say that 30 pissed off guys with knives are pretty scary. None of my companions had metal armour, so even silver knives made quick work of them. My companions fought their absolute best. After all, they were being mobbed by a raging stabby storm. The axedwarf furiously severed as many limbs as he could. The hammer man bashed many heads in. The crossbow man sucked, so he was reduced to going melee. However, despite their best efforts, death was coming. I think the crossbow man was the first to go down. After falling to the ground during the battle, the merchants jumped upon him and tore his body to pieces. The axedwarf was furiously fighting, but exhaustion settled in and his drop in speed was his end. The hammer man survived longest out of my companions, mostly because he and Vabok were fighting back to back like badasses. Unfortunately, one of the merchants landed a decisive stab in the middle of the hammer man's chest.

Now, Vabok, the lord of the town was the only one left to face the merchants of his own town. Vabok's killcount went up by nearly 15 in this one marketplace conflict, but still the merchants came. At this point, I realized that this situation was unwinnable, so I tried running. My lack of metal boots came to bite me. One of the merchants slashed Vabok's right foot, severing the motor nerve. It was over, so in order to continue ruling Gildedspoons, I had Vabok retire. Thus ended Vaboks adventurer life, with a killcount just short of 80.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13206 on: November 15, 2016, 08:24:24 am »

Wanted to test the nature of mannerisms given Toady's FotF reply--whether they were indeed a thing introduced when you rolled your character, and/or introduced via behavior versus a character's facet, and if a mannerism could be expunged by changing behavior.

So I retired Num to read his thoughts. Despite being a hardened individual due to witnessing/causing multiple wolf deaths, being a 3rd degree stoic with zero anxiety, incredible calm and idiotic fearlessness, the mannerism triggered was (oddly enough) licking his lips when nervous.

Would complete apathy and indifference remove the tic? I unretired him and took him through a sentient killing spree that involved the death of a few semimegas and 4 bandit camps, then retired him again. While he no longer cared about anything anymore, he was still prone to that nervous tic.

The only other facet that could be the cause was assertiveness. He had a need to cause trouble yet had the 2nd lowest level of assertiveness or the lowest. I added that to see if it might keep him from conversing with other dwarves if he made it to fortress mode. Perhaps conversational passivity, along with privacy paranoia, and unwillingness to change ideas would result in an unchanging character.

I suspect the when stating values, despite being non-assertive may have been the cause for that tic. Made a very quick fort yesterday with the basics and began retiring various adventurers with different facet value set ups. Largely the right combination of facet and value seems to result in the presence or absence of mannerism, but a small facet tweak is like a wrench in the works.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13207 on: November 15, 2016, 01:33:24 pm »

Wanted to test the nature of mannerisms given Toady's FotF reply--whether they were indeed a thing introduced when you rolled your character, and/or introduced via behavior versus a character's facet, and if a mannerism could be expunged by changing behavior.

So I retired Num to read his thoughts. Despite being a hardened individual due to witnessing/causing multiple wolf deaths, being a 3rd degree stoic with zero anxiety, incredible calm and idiotic fearlessness, the mannerism triggered was (oddly enough) licking his lips when nervous.

Would complete apathy and indifference remove the tic? I unretired him and took him through a sentient killing spree that involved the death of a few semimegas and 4 bandit camps, then retired him again. While he no longer cared about anything anymore, he was still prone to that nervous tic.

The only other facet that could be the cause was assertiveness. He had a need to cause trouble yet had the 2nd lowest level of assertiveness or the lowest. I added that to see if it might keep him from conversing with other dwarves if he made it to fortress mode. Perhaps conversational passivity, along with privacy paranoia, and unwillingness to change ideas would result in an unchanging character.

I suspect the when stating values, despite being non-assertive may have been the cause for that tic. Made a very quick fort yesterday with the basics and began retiring various adventurers with different facet value set ups. Largely the right combination of facet and value seems to result in the presence or absence of mannerism, but a small facet tweak is like a wrench in the works.
That's really interesting. I never thought a tic would form like that. I was shocked to see my own retired hero fall into a fit of melancholy. I was even more shocked to read in his thoughts 50 different occasions when he felt "grim satisfaction" after ending a monster's life. It's kind of depressing watching my own adventurer, a God among men responsible for cleansing the world of Angels and Demons alike, fall apart from all the gruesome scenes he's witnessed. It reminds me of a person's comment in a different topic about how you can't control your adventurer's tears and someone responded by explaining that they cry because they are forced to witness gruesome acts of murder done by their own hands, which they have no control over.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13208 on: November 15, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »

That's really interesting. I never thought a tic would form like that. I was shocked to see my own retired hero fall into a fit of melancholy. I was even more shocked to read in his thoughts 50 different occasions when he felt "grim satisfaction" after ending a monster's life. It's kind of depressing watching my own adventurer, a God among men responsible for cleansing the world of Angels and Demons alike, fall apart from all the gruesome scenes he's witnessed. It reminds me of a person's comment in a different topic about how you can't control your adventurer's tears and someone responded by explaining that they cry because they are forced to witness gruesome acts of murder done by their own hands, which they have no control over.
yeah kinda why I play adventure mode kinda pacifically and just sight seeing and crafting and performing, less likely to ruin an adventurer's life
also their needs if not kept up will stack unhappiness on them asking about the adventurer's current emotion on subject or in general helps tell the player what their adventurer is feeling.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13209 on: November 15, 2016, 02:53:51 pm »

the head exploding into gore from the fall probably what would happen than giving adventurers a way to mine rocks with their heads.
so uhh my current adventures have been halted at the moment, mostly messing with conversations and getting around not being able to get hearthspersons do to my no fame playstyle.

some how noticing there is a option to make someone a tavern keeper in adventure mode.
I took control of one once, started serving drinks, swore that I would mutilate anyone I see attacking a tavern keeper in the future, that shit is hard!

Also, I learned a handy sorta-shortcut: grab your general_ref.nemesis, direct yourself to that and you can hit your unit/histfig entries, plus toggle the adventurer/active/retired flags. I would write a script using this but I'm still missing ui_advmode for linux 64 bit and my attempts at figuring out how to use edb to find it were not enlightening, and I would want the script to include the point/run tricks in the various modes.

With that you can go in to nemesis.unit.occupation and set the tavern keeper/monster hunter/scholar/etc roles, add the relevant world.occupations.all entry, include any necessary nemesis.figure.entity_links regarding positions and membership.

Sadly making yourself a monster hunter doesn't add any convo options that I've seen.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13210 on: November 17, 2016, 08:16:42 am »

Some values/facets are just shifted around either for roleplay reasons, influencing the presence or lack of needs and for triggering mannerisms.

Here's the result of the abovementioned character who's never said a word to any NPC or performed any meaningful action aside from movement.
As you can see he has 1 quip about the weather and 3 mannerisms. The quip's only there because stoicism was only first tier. Otherwise there's wouldn't be any mention.  The 3 mannerisms seem to have been assigned at character creation, but are also baffling in that they appear to be random. Sometimes it seems a character gets them and sometimes they just don't.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: November 17, 2016, 12:39:39 pm »

so testing something out with fort mode and seeing where would a guest go once they walk out of the site.

and uhh wow looks like they instantly travel to another town give or take under 2 weeks between retiring the fort and all.
and the site is pretty far away too.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13212 on: November 17, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »

Probably doesnt take two weeks to travel that far, npcs travel at the same speed as adventurers but dont have to stop to eat, drink, or sleep. Or take time to cross rivers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13213 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:10 pm »

Edit:  Meant to write this in the Fort thread, sorry!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:53:20 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13214 on: November 19, 2016, 09:12:44 pm »

Yeah, I was just playing a goblin from a goblin civ, and I walked into a library. The place was crawling with human and elf doctors, astronomers and all sort of scholars, shiving each other like there was no tomorrow. I walked in, picked up a scroll made out off forgotten beast leather (wonder if it was from a whole FB, or skin from a severed limb), read it, dropped it atop a pile of blood, elf vomit and the elf which produced those, and walked into the inn/bar next door. Literally next door. Guess that's what they call "small town charm".

After drinking some wine I talked with my companion about my emotions (I like to make my adventurers do that when they had a drink too many, btw) and there were like 3 pages of "verbally struggle against great horror after seing X die". This adventurer's description said that she literally never made emotional connections with any being. Either the alcohol changed that, or I should have made her humourless. Or more hateful. Wonder what traits we'd have to combine to get remorseless killing machines.

And yeah, hearing and old adventurer saying mastering throwing or tracking or bonecarving wasn't satisfactory sure sucks.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 1104