Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104887 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12900 on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:35 pm »

Those fort dorms are great and seemingly endless.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: August 18, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »

I decided to forget about the bandits and such and let an adventurer I do later take care of them, I want do deal with the big beasts. One of the caves that a giant lives in causes the game to crash whenever I get near it, this is, rather annoying, but I'll get over it, probably.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: August 18, 2016, 07:34:08 pm »

I'm clearing a vault as a legendary hammerman with a masterwork platinum war hammer.

Why didn't I pick sword.

Seriously, my three methods of killing are:
1. Choking from behind
2. Smashing the neck
3. Jumping at the enemy until they roll off a ledge
Awful.
Platinum is quite soft, which affects how well you can smash bones if I remember right. Try going for an iron or steel hammer and drive those ribs into the lungs. Or better yet, next time use a mace! Those things cause deadly internal bleeding and compound fractures.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: August 18, 2016, 08:53:28 pm »

Platinum is quite soft, which affects how well you can smash bones if I remember right. Try going for an iron or steel hammer and drive those ribs into the lungs. Or better yet, next time use a mace! Those things cause deadly internal bleeding and compound fractures.
Huh, didn't know that. I do usually use a mace, but maces apply twice the force over twice the area vs. a hammer.

Anyway, I tried and failed to kill the demon many times. I am savescum-scum. Instead I went and trained on the only bronze colossus in the world and became legendary in like six more skills, which bumped my stats up to superhuman. Then I killed the demon easily. It was rather disappointing.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: August 19, 2016, 03:07:38 am »

Due to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) suddenly being mad at updating my Starter Pack, i've lost my saves and game. Good news: i've found backup saves. Bad news: Adventure save was when i just entered the hamlet.

I received same quest about bandits, but now bandit camp was located to the southeast. Arrived, dealed with bandits, and looted iron helm and bronze short sword. Headed to the nearest hamlet and reported to local lady, and suddenly i started to think. "What i am doing? Why i am helping people? This supposed to be murderhobo campaign, but turned into some Batman shit about beating and biting bandits to the death!" And thus, murderhobo mode was activated.

I told my companions to stay where they stay, but instead they went into local hall. I've tried to make them stay away, but they're still were going to the building, so i dropped further attemps to make them stay outside. My first target was crossbowman, but my companions slaughtered him before i tortured him to the death.

My next target was lady, i've tried to bite off her middle fingers, but man, i missed almost 20 times, trying to just bite and latch on her middle finger on the left hand. So i strangled her and then bited off her middle fingers, putted those fingers in my quiver, and started to bash lady in her neck with my quiver.
Spoiler: Result (click to show/hide)

Then i grabbed my pick and commenced CEP (Candy Extraction Protocol), but CEP was unsuccessful.
Spoiler: CEP (click to show/hide)

After clearing first room, i proceed to the northern room, where i finded some kids.
Spoiler: HELLO, KIDS! (click to show/hide)

I attacked kid to the northwest, i strapped both my weapons, and broked ankles of this kid. And thus, CEP commenced once again, this time it was successful. Too bad that my companions didn't let me torture other kids.
Spoiler: CEP 2 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:00:06 pm by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: August 19, 2016, 10:34:43 am »

Ahahahahahhh !! I finally did it ! :P

Now, back to gen. a new world because this one is now boring !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: August 19, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »

Darn it.  I took on a Roc and died.  But I am pretty sure I took a limb off before death.  Also I did dump a bunch of coins in a lair before I was killed, so I know where some treasure is for future adventurers.  And, if I ever need some used weapons and armor fit for a Dwarf...well, I know a corpse that does not need their's anymore.
Too soon?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12907 on: August 19, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »

A year has passed and the world has entered the age of legends, weary from her year long travels Maria the mountain goat woman decided to retire in an abandoned town she claimed for herself.

Thus begins the adventures of Asmel dwarf of The Fresh Dagger, a dwarven civilization brought to ruin by years of war with the goblins. Asmel decided to avenge her ruined nation and bring devastation upon the goblins, and anyone else who gets in her way.

Asmel started her quest in a mountain halls deep underground and journeyed to the surface, she looked for the nearest goblin patrol and attacked it and did battle with them, but she was no match for them at this time, before she was able to escape she had sensory nerves in an arm severed and got a silver bolt in her upper body and upper left leg. When she fought the goblins again she lost her nose got the motor nerves in a hand severed and later lost the hand and received many new scars.

Later battles were much easier despite her handicap and she later decided to recruit some dwarves to lend her a hand. There were not many options in the area so she resorted to recruiting some drunks and quickly armed and armored them, the first group she had did not last long, of the three she had only one survived but was without the use of an arm, she took this dwarf back to his home and retired him from her services, it was for the best.

The two new dwarves I got will hopefully do better, I had them train a little bit against some wildlife so they hopefully wouldn't be instantly destroyed.

edit: In the end many companions joined Asmel and they all died, Asmel also succumbed to death after she was mauled to death by dingos while she slept.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:15:47 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: August 20, 2016, 02:21:07 am »

Ended up at another shrine. Vadane Sprayedleaps the forest titan is a humanoid made of mud. Beware its webs!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kamuk is a level 9 speardwarf versus the level 6 dodge of the titan. Against the last web titan, he was a level 8 speardwarf and I opted to skip melee and shoot. So he tries his luck and  empties 25 mountain titan bone bolts, 18 iron bolts, and 25 granite bolts into the muddy wall that is Vadane Sprayedleaps. If I recall correctly, the last mud titan from a past run took well over 100 shots, but those were all metal arrows. Bad prep, eh? Well, at least it was grounded.

The wise thing to do here is leave, ammo up and return to pelt it to death, but I'm getting a bit bored with Kamuk's run and am kind of hoping he'll either win or die so I can regen a new world with new reactions. Kamuk commits to going with a multiple z-level combat and climbs 2 z-levels up and swings from column to column until he's close enough to throw various edged weapons at Vadane Sprayedleaps.
None of them land any significant damage, which in the case of an inorganic would be some type of shearing. Past test world anecdotal experiments seem to suggest a few things for successful melee versus web titan or FB. Always ground it first. Grounding by shooting/throwing a missile at the foot or leg will take its walking speed from 1.000 to .500 and prevent flight or climbing. When you're close enough, the titan needs to shoot so you can have your 30 tick cool down window to land your attacks. You'll need to jump to evade the web stream if you're sprinting towards the titan on the same z-level, along with likely around 6-7 ticks to close the one tile distance at 1.6 speed. Or you'll jump down from above to close for melee. Jumping's tick cost at this time is unknown. Dodge costs you 6 ticks to move to an adjacent tile. Jump moves you 2 tiles. I vaguely just go with the idea that jump takes about a third of the 30 tick cool down window. Either way, I think you really only have 2-3 swings before it shoots again, so you need a legendary weapon skill to make up for the possible drop in accuracy and potential lack of squareness on landing the attack.

Kamuk can't trigger the titan's web shot as the titan is inactive. Inactivity is inconsistent and unreliable, so I'll presume it's  active and aggressive. If it hasn't shot, it will on its next turn if you fail to kill on that swing. It's either turn around and sneak away or just go with whatever happens. Kamuk jumps on top of the titan:
It's just luck that it shoots as he jumps, but it also rolls away once Kamuk lands, so he's lost 6 ticks along with whatever the jump cost him. Still, better than not shooting at all. Then, non-aggressiveness kicks in, more luck, and 8 stabs go by before it is struck down.

So what's the take away? Level 9 spear sucks? Must be level 15 (legendary)? Likely it's just the old conventional wisdom: axes/picks versus inorganics. And even if tedious, move around to trigger the web shot rather than go for broke. Test jump in the arena for tick count. Retest a modded DF2014 world versus webber just to fine tune it. Or just be lazy and gamble.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 10:42:41 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: August 20, 2016, 02:26:28 am »

Ahahahahahhh !! I finally did it ! :P

Yep, I confirmed a while back that such things will eventually happen. And that if you introduce stronk races into the world, era transitions will occur in worldgen too.

Leave it to the mantis guys to still leave that and other "I have proven this bug is defunct" issues open despite being active in discussing them with me previously.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12910 on: August 20, 2016, 08:49:54 am »

The Fatal Fate

Companions:
Kusut Marblesuppers (The Craven)
Ushus Beachscholars (The Unlucky)
Ekul Namedskulls (The Beloved)

The Story:
In a World led by Goblin invasions, who have extinguished the Elves and almost all Dwarven too, the Humans had a hard life. Titans roaming the lands, gigantic beasts and night creatures who terrorizes the Hamlets and Towns of mankind. And not to be scoffed at ,bandits and criminal organizations, who pillage and plunder whole Hamlets, abducting children to raise thier numbers or to pinch money or goods from the parents. Tar Kisswarm lived in one of those hamlets, he lost his parents early on but was adopted by the Lady of the village Pastgrow.

To show his graditude towards the Lady, Tar decided to become a recruit early on, to protect his mother and the townsfolk from any bad influences. He trained every day, til he finally was old and strong enough to be called a true Maceman Soldier. He also became a hearthperson of the Lady, as she was basically his mother. The local smith also trained him in the meantime, getting him skilled in the way of metalwork. Kusut and Ushus came and stayed in Pastgrow in the early year of 249. Since they were lightly experienced soldiers, they quickly managed to join the keep as Hearthpersons of the Lady. In midwinter of 249, Ekul, who is a talented swordsmaid, joined as a hearthperson aswell. Tar and Ekul became close as friends and often trained together.

The Lady called for Tar and gave him his first task as a protector of Pastgrow. He bowed towards her as she said, "You must kill the night ogress Zimesh Ashdeaths the Sable Murk, my dear son.  This night creature threatens our people with its very presence.  Seek your foe in the lair of Shadegraves.  This vile fiend has killed nine in her lust for murder! Our hopes travel with you and your group of chosen soldiers." After recruiting Ekul, Ushus and Kusut for his quest, he then got some supplies, including a bunch of iron and silver bars. Tar brought the metal bars to the local smith, so they could create armor and weapons for him and his fellows.

After a week passed, the armor and weapons they created were ready to serve thier new owners.
Tar called for his companions, so they could get ready to begin thier journey to the lair of the night creatures.

As soon as the last piece of armor was equipped, they went off into the dangerous woods to find and slay the Night Ogress.
They made quick progress as the woods seemed to be calm for the moment, but suddenly they were ambushed by five giant dingos!
The Archer, Ushus, stepped in front to have a better aim at the enemy. One arrow was shot but missed the dingos slightly and as he was about to aim at them a second time, they were already too close. Tar Ekul and Kusut hastly charged into the creatures to defend thier friend but, the giant dingos were faster as they ripped his hands apart. Kusut managed to behead one of the dingos who was attacking Ushus. He charged at the next one as he saw his friend, ripped apart and clearly dead. He then was overcome by terror and fled into the wild, while Ekul and Tar took out two more giant dingos together. One of the Creatures ran off too as it saw it's pack loosing members.

The last giant dingo was slain and Kusut found his way back.
As he surely was witnessing his friend's death, he wasn't the only one. Tar and Ekul weren't really mad at him though, as they sort of understood how he felt. After they burried Ushus in the woods and butchered one of the giant dingos for food, they went on with thier quest.

Near the lair, Tar decided to rest for the night so everyone could calm down and be fit for the coming fight, as it would't be an easy one. The woke up as the sun was rising. After a fine meal, they went off together to the beasts lair.

As they went down the ramp, Ekul tripped, fell and landed in between 3 Ogresses. Tar and Kusut rushed down to help her as she was immediately attacked by them. In fear of seeing another friend get ripped apart, Kusut was overcome by terror and ran off. Meanwhile, Tar managed to kill one of the Ogresses. A badly injured Ekul crawled behind Tar, who blocked the only way out. The Ogresses kept swinging at him with thier bare hands, but he managed to block most of the hits. He screamed at Ekul to get out, but she didn't listen. The only way he was able to convince her, was with showing how he really felt about her. Ekul sat there, breaking out in tears while "The Beloved" answered, "I love you... too."
She managed to crawl out of that deadly place, leaving her now official loved one behind as he wished.
Tar was able to put up a long fight, giving Ekul as much time as possible to escape, but suddenly he fell. Hitting the ground, he was stunned and lost the grip of his silver mace. After one last attempt to block a hit with his shield, the night Ogress who was once thier goal, grabbed his mace and struck Tar down by bashing his head in.
The fate of Ekul and Kusut lays in unknown, as they may have survived.

hehe, I like this.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: August 20, 2016, 10:23:58 am »

So, I just noticed a little exploit. You leave an empty barrel at a tavern. Once you fast travel offloading everything, upon your return to the tavern, you'll find that your empty barrel now has 40 units of whatever libation the game chose.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: August 20, 2016, 10:27:39 am »

So, I just noticed a little exploit. You leave an empty barrel at a tavern. Once you fast travel offloading everything, upon your return to the tavern, you'll find that your empty barrel now has 40 units of whatever libation the game chose.

Pbbbt. Still harder than the usual exploit of dumping a barrel out, then refilling it from the resulting pool on the ground.

Though this could logically get a variety of drinks.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: August 20, 2016, 11:14:41 am »

Pbbbt. Still harder than the usual exploit of dumping a barrel out, then refilling it from the resulting pool on the ground.

Though this could logically get a variety of drinks.
His exploit the tavern keeper will serve people from. Your exploit the tavern keeper won't touch it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: August 20, 2016, 11:17:37 am »

His exploit the tavern keeper will serve people from. Your exploit the tavern keeper won't touch it.

True, but the only good booze is your booze. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1104