Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104946 times)

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12885 on: August 15, 2016, 09:24:14 pm »

Bugi Blueknight the Gloomy Drinker (Acquired title after slaying 8 goblins raiding a town; they were being "Harassed" by the bandit group out of Insectsteals), a Human Spearman, with two companions - both Dwarven peasants, acquired from a fort because they were bored with life there. Equipped one, Kubuk Walledzenith, with a warhammer, due to her having incredible muscles. The other, Rakust Sealroom, with a sword.
Bugi began life as a peasant of no renown, in a town with a keep. He began with but a bronze spear and copper shield, with goblin bandits terrorizing the town outside his door. Killing them, he followed the others into the keep, and found a dead man scattered in pieces in front of the doors. Entering, he killed several Goblins and raided all the equipment he found. Bugi decided he would stop this madness, ending the oppression these goblins brought into the town. This Human civilization could take little of this punishment; the town he resided in was its largest settlement, and toward the end of his adventures would indeed become the capital of the civilization, the seat of the Law-giver for the civ. And after that... he would rid this world of the evils brought by the dragons, colossi, rocs, and other beasts, with raids on the bandit groups scattered throughout the lands to fund his ventures. After all, their things were not really theirs; they were stolen, and they would do far more good in Bugi's hands than those of the bandits.
Poorly equipped, he then returned to his house, found food, and searched the town for a companion. Finding no one willing after several days, he set off on a journey he considered hopeless: he headed to the lair of a roc, with little hope of killing it, but there were no other locations in reach - the nearest civilized site, the fortress Mirrorstop, was out of reach for daytime travel, and the bogeymen would kill him if he went farther. Reaching the roc's lair, he crept inside, and upon finding the rock, stabbed it in a leg. Luckily, the large bird passed out from the pain immediately, though it took nearly 5 minutes of stabbing to bleed it to death, as his pitiful skill and low-quality spear would not allow him to deal killing blows to such a large creature.
Night was falling; certain he would die, he set out as fast as he could for the fortress, leaving behind two spears he had brought as throwing weapons, after getting yet more evidence of their ineffectiveness. But, crawling slowly through the mountains, he made it. Nothing attacked, though midnight was upon him when he reached the gates. Upon taking shelter inside, he went in search of companions. Finding two willing peasant dwarves, he used some of the roc meat he had acquired to trade for a copper spear and a copper warhammer, the only weapons to be had at the fortress's meager trade depot. The next day, he set out, armed with more knowledge of the surrounding area, to attack Insectsteals. He would liberate the village from this scourge, or (far more likely, should he admit it to himself) die trying!
The camp was deserted upon his arrival; two Goblin Wrestlers fled when he arrived. Looting the camp for some gear, he equipped both himself with armor and weapons, and the dwarves with weapons, for nothing the goblins had was superior to their clothing, nor was the armor their size. Stupid goblins looted Human armor, but nothing their size. During this adventure, Kubuk ran off, and came back after killing Arstruk Toothpicked, the goblin warlord of this camp. Bugi was never certain just where the goblin fell, but Kubuk came back uninjured, Arstruk the victim of a lucky strike, perhaps, for neither dwarf had any weapons skill to speak of. The deed done, the companions returned to the town, killed off several goblins at the keep, the last raiding party Arstruk had sent, and looting the rest of the equipment to better arm the dwarves. Then, they set off to clear more camps, each one easier than the last, until they found a Goblin Warlord, a Swordmaster. She was exceptional with the use of the sword, matching Bugi blow for blow, coming closer than he liked to think to killing him - even cutting off his right ear when he missed a parry. But he gained skill quickly, and would not be undone by a mere Goblin. A fast strike to the head was followed by minutes of waiting for the goblin to die, while killing the remaining Wrestlers in the camp. Finally, Bugi returned and, taking her masterwork Iron Two-Handed Sword, he beheaded her from the neck. Giving the sword to Rakust, he gave her masterwork Copper Shield to Kubuk, in the hopes it would serve him well. Leaving this camp, they were set upon by a pack of nearly a dozen wolves; all fell to the two dwarves, except two who made the mistake of charging Bugi. Suffering many, many bruises, Rakust perhaps regretted his foolish charge into their midst; however, its effectiveness could not be denied. Returning to the town, the three rested; then, they set out to destroy a "lurking villains" camp at Goder. Not knowing what creature might inhabit this camp, Bugi guessed at kobolds. He was right. All of them died as he crept (actually just walked around and stabbed them, they didn't try to attack whatsoever unless they survived the starting throat- or head-shots) around their camp, lunging high with his spear to bring them down silently. Or nearly so. Their stash of loot was barely worth touching; had they not been bothering villagers, Bugi would have called it a waste of time. But they had been, so he had killed them. Oh his quest to cleanse the world, nothing would be omitted. Perhaps next he would attack a jaguar that had killed at least one human or dwarf from the surrounding areas ... it was close enough to be an easy journey, or he could continue on to the next villages. If he did, he would visit the Dwarven fortress in the southern reaches of the world known to him; perhaps there he could find the fine steel weapons and armor they were renowned for, for Mirrorstop had disappointed him badly. On his way, he could kill other beasts of which he had learned, as he had talked with many knowledgeable men and dwarves, who knew much of the world. But for now, he would rest some more in his town; without the nightly Goblin attacks, it was quite pleasant, even if he could find no more Humans willing to join him; all the Human-sized equipment he had found would surely allow him to outfit a second Adventurer in excellent gear, with excellent weaponry.... If only....

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: August 15, 2016, 11:11:15 pm »

Well, I seemed to have made the region I started in rather peaceful, legends viewer shows me there are a few minor things to deal with but other then that it's pretty peaceful, I killed a bunch more things, kobolds, giants, ettins a dragon a hydra and 11 night trolls that were all hanging out together. I went down to a large peninsula in the south populated by elves, I had come to deal with a giant and a cyclops, I had also wanted to deal with the kobolds living in a cave in the area but there didn't seem to be an entrance to said cave.

I met the cyclops I planned to deal with and stabbed her in the eye blinding her, I told her of my first great success in my battle against the bronze colossus and I ask her to join me on my adventures as a joke expecting her to turn on my immediately... she agreed and hasn't turned on me, so now I have a blind cyclops following me on my adventures, I'm not 100% sure but I think it has something to do with her being blind, it seems it cannot last as she eventually did turn on me when I tried to see if she'd dance with me, I did however get her to stay as my companion once again, I don't expect this to last long, but it amuses me to have a cyclops as a companion even if it's only temporary.

I traveled with the blind cyclops some more, but it seems that she will occasionally turn on me, so I will unfortunately have to put her down, rest in peace my not so friendly friend, I wish things could of gone better between us but it has to be this way.

Darn it, now I feel a little sad, I really wanted to dance with the cyclops and have her as a companion, this game does weird things to me.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: August 16, 2016, 02:00:02 am »

Okay, after going to nearest hamlet and gathering some companions, i've went to the south and found kobold camp. I wanted them to suffer, but my stupid slaves companions attacked kobolds and they got all the glory for themselves, not even sharing with me. Then i went to the east, i crossed a river, and decided to sleep. Then at the dawn, i was ambushed by...GIANT COUGAR RECRUITS?!

Spoiler: The Horror! (click to show/hide)

I swear, i didn't modded anything, aside from removing skill rust in the main raws.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12888 on: August 16, 2016, 02:11:03 am »

Yeah, that's just what notable animals are called whenever they ambush you, due to them lacking innate weapon skills.
Same with crocs of various sizes - for modded creatures that have innate weapon skills they'll be labeled as w/e weapon skill they have highest, even if they're unarmed.

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: August 16, 2016, 06:20:55 pm »

The Fatal Fate

Companions:
Kusut Marblesuppers (The Craven)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ushus Beachscholars (The Unlucky)
Ekul Namedskulls (The Beloved)

The Story:
In a World led by Goblin invasions, who have extinguished the Elves and almost all Dwarven too, the Humans had a hard life. Titans roaming the lands, gigantic beasts and night creatures who terrorizes the Hamlets and Towns of mankind. And not to be scoffed at ,bandits and criminal organizations, who pillage and plunder whole Hamlets, abducting children to raise thier numbers or to pinch money or goods from the parents. Tar Kisswarm lived in one of those hamlets, he lost his parents early on but was adopted by the Lady of the village Pastgrow.

To show his graditude towards the Lady, Tar decided to become a recruit early on, to protect his mother and the townsfolk from any bad influences. He trained every day, til he finally was old and strong enough to be called a true Maceman Soldier. He also became a hearthperson of the Lady, as she was basically his mother. The local smith also trained him in the meantime, getting him skilled in the way of metalwork. Kusut and Ushus came and stayed in Pastgrow in the early year of 249. Since they were lightly experienced soldiers, they quickly managed to join the keep as Hearthpersons of the Lady. In midwinter of 249, Ekul, who is a talented swordsmaid, joined as a hearthperson aswell. Tar and Ekul became close as friends and often trained together.

The Lady called for Tar and gave him his first task as a protector of Pastgrow. He bowed towards her as she said, "You must kill the night ogress Zimesh Ashdeaths the Sable Murk, my dear son.  This night creature threatens our people with its very presence.  Seek your foe in the lair of Shadegraves.  This vile fiend has killed nine in her lust for murder! Our hopes travel with you and your group of chosen soldiers." After recruiting Ekul, Ushus and Kusut for his quest, he then got some supplies, including a bunch of iron and silver bars. Tar brought the metal bars to the local smith, so they could create armor and weapons for him and his fellows.

After a week passed, the armor and weapons they created were ready to serve thier new owners.
Tar called for his companions, so they could get ready to begin thier journey to the lair of the night creatures.

As soon as the last piece of armor was equipped, they went off into the dangerous woods to find and slay the Night Ogress.
They made quick progress as the woods seemed to be calm for the moment, but suddenly they were ambushed by five giant dingos!
The Archer, Ushus, stepped in front to have a better aim at the enemy. One arrow was shot but missed the dingos slightly and as he was about to aim at them a second time, they were already too close. Tar Ekul and Kusut hastly charged into the creatures to defend thier friend but, the giant dingos were faster as they ripped his hands apart. Kusut managed to behead one of the dingos who was attacking Ushus. He charged at the next one as he saw his friend, ripped apart and clearly dead. He then was overcome by terror and fled into the wild, while Ekul and Tar took out two more giant dingos together. One of the Creatures ran off too as it saw it's pack loosing members.

The last giant dingo was slain and Kusut found his way back.
As he surely was witnessing his friend's death, he wasn't the only one. Tar and Ekul weren't really mad at him though, as they sort of understood how he felt. After they burried Ushus in the woods and butchered one of the giant dingos for food, they went on with thier quest.

Near the lair, Tar decided to rest for the night so everyone could calm down and be fit for the coming fight, as it would't be an easy one. They woke up as the sun was rising. After a fine meal, they went off together to the beasts lair.

As they went down the ramp, Ekul tripped, fell and landed in between 3 Ogresses. Tar and Kusut rushed down to help her as she was immediately attacked by them. In fear of seeing another friend get ripped apart, Kusut was overcome by terror and ran off. Meanwhile, Tar managed to kill one of the Ogresses. A badly injured Ekul crawled behind Tar, who blocked the only way out. The Ogresses kept swinging at him with thier bare hands, but he managed to block most of the hits. He screamed at Ekul to get out, but she didn't listen. The only way he was able to convince her, was with showing how he really felt about her. Ekul sat there, breaking out in tears while "The Beloved" answered, "I love you... too."
She managed to crawl out of that deadly place, leaving her now official loved one behind as he wished.
Tar was able to put up a long fight, giving Ekul as much time as possible to escape, but suddenly he fell. Hitting the ground, he was stunned and lost the grip of his silver mace. After one last attempt to block a hit with his shield, the night Ogress who was once thier goal, grabbed his mace and struck Tar down by bashing his head in.
The fate of Ekul and Kusut lays in unknown, as they may have survived.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:09:07 am by Malakor »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:57 pm »

I continued my journey across the land to cleanse it of its evil, many megabeast and semi-megabeast have fallen even a titan has fallen an amber panther with deadly spittle. Yet so very many remain, and so very many bandits and criminals remain as well, I knew I decided I would need even greater skill to prevent myself from falling in battle, so I had lopped the limbs off of a bronze colossus and trained my striking, kicking, biting and shield skill to legendary also increasing my dodge as the colossus made pathetic attempts to push at me.

Once I deemed my skill gain sufficient I went away killing more beasts even finding a roc that inhabited a fortress (which was a pain to find) and a family of four cyclopses, It is unfortunate that they had to die, but they were a threat to civilization so it had to be this way. I also entered a vault and took much divine metal, by the power of modding I was able to break it down and armor and arm myself with it, the divine metal being black metal. I eventually realized I was just taking down great beasts and ignoring the various criminals that plagued the land. The great beasts of this area are no more so I might as well deal with the criminals while I'm here.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Candlefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: August 16, 2016, 09:33:52 pm »

My Monarch Butterfly woman killed a hawk-like titan by breaking its wings while the fight was really high in the air.
Now that I'm proud of this achievement, I'm sure the game will do this back to me at the first opportunity.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: August 16, 2016, 10:09:44 pm »

Now that I'm proud of this achievement, I'm sure the game will do this back to me at the first opportunity.

You're catching on quick. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: August 17, 2016, 03:21:54 am »

After dealing with giant cougar recruits, i went to hamlet, located to the east. I received quest to deal with bandits to the north, so i have to went back, to the direction where i started my adventure. I was ambushed by hyenas, they managed to take down my bowman, but me and my slaves friends won the fight. When i arrived near the bandit camp, i using Shift-o, gave my slaves brothers-in-arms order to stop following me and stay. In camp there was only three people, two are regulars, they we're sleeping, so they didn't pose any threat to me. But their leader (which had lady consort title) was awake and she had crossbow. I grabbed her crossbow and gained possesion of it, she started to attack me. In the middle of fight, i grabbed her both hands, locked and breaked her wrists and she didn't passed away from pain, just like the first bandit leader (pain from broken bones probably got nerfed in 43.03)! After trading some punches and scratches, she surrendered, so i demanded all of her clothes. She refused the demand (cuz clothes is much more valuable than your miserable life!) and i grabbed my +iron pick+, candy mining protocol commenced. After 5 strikes in her lower body, i finally spilled her candy and striked it! Then i bited off her middle fingers and leaved her to die, i had regulars to deal with. I bited off first regular's middle fingers and shaked his neck, he bleed out. I did same thing to second regular, but i also bited his/her hands off (don't remember gender of this one) and he/she (you guessed it!) bleed out. Currently i'm looting the camp, hoping that i'll find something valuable.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:23:20 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: August 17, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »

Kamuk left  Sweptbegun, taking the northern road to the town of Coastpolish. On the road north, Kamuk caught the odor of cooked flesh and followed its trail to a static asterisk.
(click thumbnail to expand)

It was a hulking horror bridegroom recruit. Not a true night troll. Just a converted spouse. At first while hanging from a tree branch, Kamuk took a few bolt shots from 1 z-level up, before switching to melee.

Coastpolish has seen better days:

But there was still civilization thereabouts, even outcast civilization:
At the Chestnut Dumpling, Kamuk asked human tavern keeper Rismal Touchbrigade about the surrounding area. He received directions to the shrine of Rabab the Ugly Cat the marsh titan, one day NW. On the way would be Osplu Matchedlarge the Free Spurt the hydra. The rest of the information involved bandits, an ettin and a werefox.

He'd seek out the hydra and the titan after visiting the town's keep. There he meets macedwearf Shorast Kolusan and offers the gift of mountain titan leather armor.
There isn't much else to do except descend the stairwell. The catacombs led to the sewer and then to a sewer exit.

One day northwest, after felling Osplu Matchedlarge the Free Spurt the hydra, Kamuk finds Rabab the Ugly Cat the marsh titan, gazing into the distance. Even crickets get the blues. A bit of inspection reveals:

So, Rabab's  organic, not too tanky, with the head as the control center. Kamuk has the steel spear for the headshot, but only lvl 8 in skill, which is two levels above the titan's dodger skill. He'd need legendary to provide the best odds he could get the kill after letting Rabab shoot web once, during the cool down interval for web. So, Kamuk plays marksdwarf. It takes about 12 bolts:

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: August 17, 2016, 07:17:10 pm »

I'm clearing a vault as a legendary hammerman with a masterwork platinum war hammer.

Why didn't I pick sword.

Seriously, my three methods of killing are:
1. Choking from behind
2. Smashing the neck
3. Jumping at the enemy until they roll off a ledge
Awful.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: August 17, 2016, 08:31:57 pm »

Is #4 awful, or is the whole thing awful?

I'm genuinely interested in using weaponized awful to kill a foe.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: August 17, 2016, 09:03:09 pm »

The whole thing is awful. I suppose the closest thing to weaponized awful would be the time when I beat 11 bandits to death with a clod of mud.

The vault was broken, so I'm going to fight the demon. It's in a hamlet because it was captured in battle, then escaped.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:32 pm »

Along the coast, east of the shrine of Rabab the Ugly Cat the marsh titan, was the town of Parchhood.

Kamuk was returning north as he had left a fair collection of bolts in one of these towns. He did take a bit of time to do a bit of random fast travel canvasing, triggering a zoom-in leading him to the shrine of a bronze colossus.

Kamuk did mostly follow the usual routine of big critter combat. Using dodge to rotate around the charging enemy, only attacking when the colossus was still charging towards Kamuk's last position. He did take an unnecessary neck initial head shot, as opposed to staying with leg/foot, then zeroing on the head.
Everyone's  mileage will vary, but I tend to dislike training off a bronze colossus' level 15 XP. It's really great XP, the best there is it seems, and Kamuk did work the equally dairy-filled "Archer's Exploit" several times this run, shooting at point blank range to defend versus the unanswered 8-10 NPC attacks, but you can often find yourself eating too much cheese. So Kamuk finished the colossus as quickly as possible.

Kamuk headed north again to build a stopover camp. The process was filled with interruption encounters with various creatures. Giant alligators were rightfully slaughtered, but the shame was in the death of a sponge man. Kamuk and this sponge man had gotten along quite well at first and then one night that very same sponge man was listed as an encounter. Kamuk could have slowly moved away from camp to fast travel, hopefully to unload the encounter, but the tedious possibility of having to fight bogeymen, zapped that as an option. Bogeymen are never really exciting. Because of laziness, that sponge man met its end.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:53:31 pm by peasant cretin »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12899 on: August 18, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »

So, I retired my Primal (race of plant creatures with multiple castes) fort, Naturewraith, after 3 years or so - decided to make a Gorloc swordsman, Salun Shaderogue, from a nearby civ and steal the artifacts from the fort.

I hired two mercs as assistance, the High Elf hammerwoman Fiawon Hailedprisons and the Iron Dwarf Murimir Pointbrims, a markswoman.

Since the Primals are hostile by default, their animals are as well, and uhh, it resulted in this heartbreaker. Dammit Murimir.

Lots of the rooms had merchants and other visitors hiding in the corners. I'm guessing story-wise something drove the Primals here insane and they just started trying to kill everything that wasn't them.

I managed to find the artifact grate, Scaldedmaster or Baromkalarch, still in the Mason's workshop, but the other artifacts weren't in the workshops and weren't in the stockpile either. Still, since the grate was weighing me down too much, I left it until I was on my way back.

Unfortunately, my treasure hunting expedition was cut short when I decided to go into the dormitories - bad idea. I picked a fight with an infested swordsman and died in a single blow. I'll try again later to get the artifacts.
I went there again as a draconian - unfortunately didn't find any of the artifacts besides the grate and a bone throne that I was unable to remove, as I had placed it in the temple. Most of the rooms were covered in copious amounts of blood, gore and vomit, with items scattered everywhere. Aside from the trip through the dorms, where both of my companions died, it was mostly uneventful. I did recruit a gorloc spearman who was in one of the rooms, though.
As I was going back, I got ambushed by several primals from that fort - they were in the vicinity of a nearby village's mead hall, for some reason. A geist wrestler was also there, fighting with them. I managed to take them out, although my companion died during the ensuing battle.
A bauxite codex was on the ground near the site of the ambush - again, no idea why, but I still took it.

My current goal is to reach a large city and pawn off all the stuff I found.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1104