Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105121 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12840 on: August 05, 2016, 09:58:37 pm »

Kamuk left Oakhut and headed east to his coastal camp Paddledwellings where he crafted an aquarium.

It was transported to the tavern in Primtown, as every tavern should have something for the blank drunk stares besides the music and poesy.

Slightly north of Primtown was his eastern camp Fieldapple. Kamuk made the journey to sort through his inventory and to expand it. A few mornings later, lugging 175 metal crossbow bolts, it was time to head southeast to the next bandit camp. That morning was filled with snow.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The bandit camp was led by a chieftess who owned a weapon that was of the +second improvement tier+. As tier determines combat skill, she wasn't worth fighting. She also wasn't interested in opening the route to her own death. Kamuk exchanged words and left for the hamlets just below the camp. There he gathered additional bolts, likely coming in at 300+, his speed dropping to under 0.250 walking. He'd drop this quiver during the two hamlet bandit encounters and the one night troll world gen set piece outside of town.

The oddness here is when using (l)ook I would scroll up or down z-levels using the (<) or (>) keys, yet for some reason I always assumed you had to be on the same z-level to inspect the critter you were scouting. Well, personal stupidity won't ever find its end. At some point, I'll redo the scouting write-up and add in the new info along with the AI activation for crawling ambusher.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:01:08 pm by peasant cretin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12841 on: August 06, 2016, 05:28:07 pm »

Been playing as a peasant elf bard, visiting hamlets with my troop of woodworkers who want to escape from a coming invasion and another bard who I had to impress quite a bit. We played and recited poetry for the lords of hamlets, the bandit chieftess who lorded over my previous adventurers, and a tavern in a nearby town. I've become known as a talented poet among other things, and the other bard even fought and killed a giant alligator, with our help. Won't accept the crutches I made for him now that he's been grounded, because they're a "rude bauble." The lords still appreciate the tale of our heroic deed, though.

On my way to a second town to the north, we are ambushed by a bandit crossbowman. Upon trying to talk to him, he shoots me point blank, spilling my guts! I'm doomed! The bleeding is so minor it might take hours to succumb. I can either play one last song, before saying goodbye to my companions, or find some cheap exploit that can save me. My spells testing reactions come to mind.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: August 06, 2016, 08:00:05 pm »

You're fine, just drag your guts around, see if you can hit people with them!

NukethewhalesMO

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12843 on: August 06, 2016, 08:35:34 pm »

First I spent the better part of the afternoon creating a custom civ comprised of blatantly overpowered, flying metal people who don't need to eat, drink, sleep or breathe while also having a level 6 innate skill in throwing, spears and ranged combat. I named them Valkyries for obvious reasons. During world gen, they got into a bunch of wars with the elves and humans, dominating the humans in most of the wars while pretty much genociding the elves.

I made a Valkyrie adventurer and trained up dodging, fighting, wrestling, armor user and observer to legendary by grabbing an owl and pressing [.] for an hour or so. Then I threw rocks at the ground until my throwing and archer skills were legendary. My next task is to finish wiping out the elves. Or maybe I'll start cleansing the world of goblins.

Assuming I survive this one-man genocide mission, I'll retire this adventurer and create a human adventurer with the goal of hunting down and killing my current adventurer. If that's successful, I use the human adventurer to try and genocide the Valkyries who make up the biggest chunk of the population in this world.

I love this game.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: August 07, 2016, 06:39:55 am »

So... Well this happened. Had no idea it was even possible.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: August 07, 2016, 07:42:37 am »

Ah yes, the gelding strike,  uncommon but amusing, one time a companion of mine gelded a man, with her teeth.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12846 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38:39 am »

These just get more painful each time I see them. Especially when it happens with a type of weapon I haven't seen getting a gelding blow before.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12847 on: August 07, 2016, 09:43:31 am »

Kamuk fought a dragon conventionally. Kamuk's armed with wooden shield and steel spear (the only metal risk). Armor is yak, helm is elkbird, and leggings and low boots are pond grabber.

Did the usual prep of leaving behind all metal items and liquid holding containers (aside from the steel spear) in a nearby meadhall, and the all-important swim before a fire encounter.

The lair was 1 z-level in height, so no Bumber Multiple via climbing. Here's the sequence:
Had forgotten about the corridor as choke point idea. Optimally, Kamuk should have dodged 1NW  into the corridor after he spoke to the dragon, waited for it to move 1N, then dodged again 1W to use the corridor as a choke point so as to limit the dragonfire to only one direction and one tile destination. There in the corridor, auto-defense shield block works like a door. But yeah, the old fashioned way still works too, there's just the chance of boiled metal…

Later, after some fending off a pack of wolves, Shield User hit legendary (lvl15) and a bit later after a run-in with bogeymen, Dodger hit legendary as well. This was followed by another titan made of steam (shot by crossbow) and a night troll in the next town (head spear).

Kamuk fought a second dragon. The lair here doesn't have a long corridor. The only way to defensively benefit from a choke point was to use a multiple z-level approach by luring the dragon toward the entrance with Kamuk on the surface z-level and the dragon on the underground z-level. The dragon breathes diagonally from the underground z-level at the surface z-level. The auto-defense shield block here works like a hatch cover and the dragonfire is blocked as there's only one direction and tile destination; there can be no spread up onto the surface z-level.
This time around, the lair being so out of the way, Kamuk left all his metal gear and liquid containers by a tree some distance away from the lair entrance.

In more exciting news, Kamuk was able to drive off some bandits in a hamlet near the dragon's lair without killing any of them. Just a quick beating and tales of lizard killing.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12848 on: August 08, 2016, 03:23:26 pm »

I created a adventurer to find my last abandoned city.  He did...poorly.  He had a follower, was loaded up with crab meat he had killed while traveling along a beach but, once he moved inland, ran into a pack of wolves just a few days west of where the ruins would have been.  He did kill one of the wolves but they overwhelmed him.  His follower I think, after a few shots of his bow, ran away.

So I made another adventurer - did my best to select his skills, and so on.  But he got lost, traveling the wrong way.  He crossed a continent before I figured he was lost.  He learned to climb out of rivers he fell in, he lived on melons, oranges, and pineapples, and he fled most dangerous animals.  He also killed a tiger he could not outrun (and also lived on it's yummy flesh).  I forced him to head back north to try to find the ruins - and a pack of hydras got him.  He killed three of them but they still took him out. 

Still I am learning.  True, I am cheating a tad as I generated this world without bogeymen.  But I am learning.   :D

Still, I think Fortress mod is easier for me.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: August 08, 2016, 03:55:42 pm »

Well, my adventurer bled to death. Afterwards I checked legends mode again and noticed that an entire civilization has been, effectively, wiped out. They have two hillocks left, out of maybe a dozen, both of which I'm pretty sure are controlled by bandits.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12850 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:02 pm »

I created a adventurer to find my last abandoned city.  He did...poorly.  He had a follower, was loaded up with crab meat he had killed while traveling along a beach but, once he moved inland, ran into a pack of wolves just a few days west of where the ruins would have been.  He did kill one of the wolves but they overwhelmed him.  His follower I think, after a few shots of his bow, ran away.

So I made another adventurer - did my best to select his skills, and so on.  But he got lost, traveling the wrong way.  He crossed a continent before I figured he was lost.  He learned to climb out of rivers he fell in, he lived on melons, oranges, and pineapples, and he fled most dangerous animals.  He also killed a tiger he could not outrun (and also lived on it's yummy flesh).  I forced him to head back north to try to find the ruins - and a pack of hydras got him.  He killed three of them but they still took him out. 

Still I am learning.  True, I am cheating a tad as I generated this world without bogeymen.  But I am learning.   :D

Still, I think Fortress mod is easier for me.

A pack of hydras? Thats some serious bad luck there. And I frankly don't consider removing bogeymen to be cheating. How could a civilization form if roving death machines prowl the night like they do? They just don't make any sense.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12851 on: August 09, 2016, 12:54:07 pm »

Doing much better.  Well, kind of better.  Made a third adventurer - Dwarf with a battle axe, a shield, and a skill at poems.  He picked up two followers after reciting some poetry for a room of humans and elves and then started south.  He stayed close to the coast and one of the followers got lost crossing a river.  Anyway, killed a few animals.  A cougar, some crabs, then ran into some dingoes.  A pack of them. 

Of course the second follower got trapped on the other side of a river before this happened.  So I ran.  But the dingoes kept up.  So I kept running and turning to fight only when one of them was close enough to hit.  So after a few minutes of this one bred to death.  Another collapsed, too tired to keep up with me.  Soon only two were left so I turned and killed them.  I butchered one and started a fire, for comfort, and went to sleep. 

In the morning my lone follower was waiting for me - better late then never - and I had dingo flesh for breakfast.  We continued on our journey.

And we ran into wolves.  So I tried the same tactic.  I ran.  My follower, it turns out, can't run as fast.  The wolves attacked the poor human - page after page of wolves attacking the human as he fought back with his spear.  Have no idea if he lived or not - I fled.  Now my character is on a beach, with a campfire, as I decide how to survive in the harsh land and try to find the ruins of the city I wish to explore.  I am not sure where I am as now I have found snow and my water becomes ice during the night which I am sure was not happening before.  Not sure if I am too far south now.  But I plan to go easy with this adventurer - find a town if I can and trade in some skulls and skin and extra meat for money.  Survival-wise Adventure mode is easier than UnReal World.  I just hope I don't run into any were-creatures or vampires.

I just wish I was not lost all the time.   ::)

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: August 09, 2016, 08:21:31 pm »

So i thought being a horseshoe man would be interessting. (skilled Wrestler hero)

I started in a human hamlet, just went off traveling thru the wilds.
I figured for some reason i can't "walk" into water/river tiles, so i jumped into one, to figure if i even can swim.
Apparently i didn't see the alligator below me, but he saw me. He bit me in the head right away, fractured my chitin.
After shaking my head so hard that he ripped it off, i decided to never ever jump into a river again. (Not to mention that i was dead anyway)

Today i can say i learned a lesson.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12853 on: August 09, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »

I learned I need followers to act as bait for wolf packs.  After running about for days, living off the land, trying to stay near the beaches, watching the cute sea otters run about, eating yummy crabs...er..and plums and cherries and learning to kill at a distance with rocks and staying away from animal people (don't want to piss off a animal person when I happen to have a skin from the animal it is named after) my third adventurer ran into a wolf pack.  I killed a few before going down.  Oh the horror.  I tried to run and did try to target their limbs but it was too many, too fast. 

First, I really need to learn how to find my way around my world.   ???

Two, one of my problems is I like to build my Fortresses as far away from the Mountainhome as I can - gives it a frontier feel.  But it means I have travel a whole continent (or more) of sand dunes, icy wastes, thick jungles and dangerous, sometimes giant, animals to find it.  I even have a exported map showing where it is.  But I keep getting lost.  Stupid me - I had to pick a large map and let is have 900 plus years of history.    >:(

The wilderness has far too many...well..wild animals in it.  Some are tasty.  The shellfish would go better if I had butter....er.  But those packs of predators REALLY cause me problems.   :P

I need to collect more followers next time.  How can I explore the ruins and expand on the legend that was my short lived Toyland if I can't get there!?!?!   :)   

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: August 09, 2016, 10:29:07 pm »

Yeah, at least we learn and make progress!

Currently I'm playing as a Mantis man, which feels a little overpowered since his arms are basically like swords. Though its fun too!
I wandered around til i found a cavern, so i went in to encounter the creature living in there!

Well after i went down about -100z deep i found a expansive cavern, roamed around, killed an thin cave alligator (revenge on the alligators!)
and now i am lost in there. I am down there now for about 3 ingame days an encountered large rats, moles and something calld pond grabber.
Since it would take too much effort to find the way back to the surface i will just continue to go down, til i die. Yay!

EDIT: I made it down to -122z, then i drowned. Hooray, its over!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:40:31 am by Malakor »
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1104