Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102372 times)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10905 on: February 25, 2016, 03:05:32 am »

I attempted again, this time on an elf

Surprisingly, he survived! Only the fat on his hand had gone. Let's see how he handles more...

That'll do it, unfortunately flames aren't as spontaneous as they used to be...
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10906 on: February 25, 2016, 07:22:33 am »

Stupid dorf trick: light campfires to melt the ice walls of a structure on a glacier, then jump through the water before it freezes to gain access.

I can now say I have done this, but I don't know why I felt the need to do it in the first place.

Even if I had known about ice wall melting, they would have abandoned the journey. Reading Uzu's account of his group's ice cap trek was a forewarning. It seems every arctic expedition is filled with insanity, vast stretches of boredom, and meaningless death.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: February 25, 2016, 09:24:59 am »

I don't have to go hunting from this camp, the hunting comes to me. I've got more than enough leather to craft werebeast armor sets and then replacement clothes for everyone later. The place is littered with body parts; it's all I can do to keep it from getting in the house. Every time I leave them waiting to do something without hearing their chatter, they run out and slay some more dingoes, giant dingoes and dingo men. And as physically trashed as they were by giant dingoes at night, they're having no problems fighting them during the day.

I wish they'd clean up after themselves, the dingo men corpses in particular. I don't want the carcasses of helpless and pointlessly slain sapients laying around my home! What kind of party do they think this is?!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:49 am »

Outside of the tavern ¶, The Fruity Teeth, home to our adventuring band, Bim/Nisa/Cerol meet Niri, a grizzly bear woman swordsman:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She joins the group and they share a drink in the streets of Twinklelather. Is this Catten II?

Niri moves at a slow and plodding pace. This is, not so good, and when they have a go at an ettin, it seems Niri chooses the better part of valor or just can't move the three tiles to join Nisa and Cerol. Niri seems discerning, until there's a spat between her and Cerol after a night under the stars. They don't quite come to blows, but there's friction. Cerol seems to carry a grudge against all bears because of his hand. He doesn't quite have the constitution or the will to be an Ahab. Ahab, if anything, thrived under pressure; Cerol seems to wilt. But then, Ahab was >>>singleminded>>> beyond any measure (ah, the singularity of complete devotion), and he hated all whales and quite possibly everything in the sea. Cerol, on the other hand, definitely likes killing small crabs and other harmless wildlife. Nisa and Bim aren't sure what to make of this.

Just to flesh out our core three ad hoc siblings:
-Bim is greatly satisfied because of argument.
-Nisa becomes glum (even though she starts most of these).
-Cerol becomes very bitter. Which is understandable as he avoids all discussion.

At any rate, after the ettin they continue south from the town of Twinklelather to a hillock called Drinkglaze. It's here that they meet a dwarven bard named Thob and a human bard named Tunik in a drinking mound packed with performers. Here Bim spins the tale of 175 arrows and Sunwaxes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Like others in his ranger/forester/longbowmen subculture, Bim values toughness and grace under pressure, so he invites Thob to join up as an entertainer. She also possesses the third required instrument that would enable Bim and Nisa to properly play certain types of music. Bim gives her his wild boar padded jack, a large steel dagger, a bronze buckler, and his iron cap. Thob won't do any fighting, but every entertainer needs the right props to play the role. Tunik, though, is recruited for adventure:

They'll head north to a human hamlet to grab Tunik a shield, helmet and armor and to find a crutch for some poor dwarf bard who lost a foot in world gen. After that, they'll resume the journey south.

dwarffortressftw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: February 25, 2016, 12:17:21 pm »

So, I made a rhinoceros man. He became a necromancer after single-handedly storming a necromancer tower. I killed over 400 people, and then retired him in a dark fortress. Now I have a vampire polar bear man, who is famous for killing a bronze colossus. I'm going to meet up with the rhinoceros man, and we will rule the world.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: February 25, 2016, 01:10:55 pm »

So, I made a rhinoceros man. He became a necromancer after single-handedly storming a necromancer tower. I killed over 400 people, and then retired him in a dark fortress. Now I have a vampire polar bear man, who is famous for killing a bronze colossus. I'm going to meet up with the rhinoceros man, and we will rule the world.

Rhinomen are indeed whuppass in a can, even moreso than moose men, who had been my go-to fuck-em-up species.

Hmm. I should adventure-test that neko species I kludged together for a friend. :V

EDIT: And I go from fighting a giantess to...a zombie? That the best you got? I've already put down TEN of them.

I'll admit, I haven't taken on a zombie wolf, but CDDA logic dictates that the zombie moose I killed was tougher. I mean hell, that thing doesn't even have any kills?

EDIT 2: I'm grilling the guy for more lair info. And the dunce keeps mentioning beasts that I've already killed. Beasts that he SENT me to kill.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:42:06 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: February 25, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »

How does one meet up with the other adventurer? Because when I tried my other adventurer was nowhere to be found and couldn't ask the whereabouts of the other one.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

dwarffortressftw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: February 25, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »

How does one meet up with the other adventurer? Because when I tried my other adventurer was nowhere to be found and couldn't ask the whereabouts of the other one.

The world is of a medium size, which makes it easier. Not to mention, when you are undead, you do not need to eat or sleep, which makes traveling easier. My plan is to retire both of them in a single tavern. They seem to stay put. Plus, a rhinoceros man and polar bear man are very easy to spot.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:49 pm »

The world is of a medium size, which makes it easier. Not to mention, when you are undead, you do not need to eat or sleep, which makes traveling easier. My plan is to retire both of them in a single tavern. They seem to stay put. Plus, a rhinoceros man and polar bear man are very easy to spot.

My drogoths are also easy to spot. Problem is I couldn't find my retired adventurer with the main adventurer even when retiring to another nearby village.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: February 25, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »

Check legends to see if the previous character resettled. If you claimed some site, that's where they'll go, but then you won't be able to recruit them ("My duty is here.") but you could become hearthfolk and retire the second character, then pull the first back out of retirement.

If you don't see them where you retired or a site they're going to, then they're probably a dot on the map, in transit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: February 25, 2016, 02:08:44 pm »

Boooo, why does this guy not know where ANY of the titans or shoggoths can be found? ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:27 pm »

Check legends to see if the previous character resettled. If you claimed some site, that's where they'll go, but then you won't be able to recruit them ("My duty is here.") but you could become hearthfolk and retire the second character, then pull the first back out of retirement.

If you don't see them where you retired or a site they're going to, then they're probably a dot on the map, in transit.

Ahh.. that's why! Well both of my adventurers are hearthpersons for the same lord as to make it easier to find one another. Gonna attempt this again.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: February 25, 2016, 02:30:35 pm »

You know what's fucking lovely? Trying to find a grey lair symbol on the fast travel map, in the middle of a grey forest.

EDIT: On the plus side, this travel blip I intercepted not only includes a zombie fox, but also the zombie wolf I was after.

EDIT 2: Hammering a few zombie ravens along the way. There's one of them left that's taken over a dozen skull-shattering blows from my bronze maul, each time sending it sailing off twenty-odd spaces. Meanwhile all the other ravens have been insta-gibbed from a single hit to the head.

EDIT 3: "Her brain is gone." That explains a lot. Still took four or five upper body hits to pulp it.

EDIT 4: Zombie turkeys and another zedraven. And then as the sun sets, a zombie eagle haunting my intended place to wait out the night.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:04:51 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: February 25, 2016, 03:09:42 pm »

And I'm still having trouble locating/finding my other adventurer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: February 25, 2016, 03:16:50 pm »

And I'm still having trouble locating/finding my other adventurer.

Pretty much have to search every house in the town they retired in. Er. If it's a full-on TOWN and not a hamlet, you might be as good as boned. :V

EDIT: My next objective was yet another mere dingo. This journey took me northwest. Looks to be a more pleasant region. The rivers aren't frozen during the day, it isn't snowing frozen goblin blood, the local fauna isn't 90% undead...anyway, I hit the lair and it was empty, but I found my prey lurking by a river not far from it, just across the water from a pack of coyotes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:31:28 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 1104