Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102275 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10710 on: February 19, 2016, 10:49:09 pm »

Stabbed a bronze colossus to death with an adamantine dagger that was the only thing able to damage it at that moment as my platinum masterful greataxe and shield didn't do squat.
Platinum's nice and dense, but dull. So great for blunt weapons, but not for edge. I'll one up Random_Dragon and say platinum whip!

Btw I don't like whips, but I thought it needed to be said.

Also Droggarth, don't mind Uzu. He's just ornery. His posts though are always worth reading.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:50:53 pm by peasant cretin »

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: February 19, 2016, 11:39:09 pm »

Finally started playing adventure mode for the first time, though I already knew the combat system from the Object Testing Arena.

Decided to play as an elephant man. Wandered around for a bit. I knew there was a necromancer tower in the area so I started to head that way. I was feeling a bit peckish so I strangled an alligator and butchered it. Took all the butchering returns with me. I finally reached the tower and went on a massive punching spree of everything in sight. It then came to my attention that the disembodied skin of the alligator I killed had crawled out of my backpack and started attacking me. No matter how much I punched and kicked it hard in the head it just wouldn't die (And I was playing a very strong elephant man character). I ended up just leaving it "alive" after everything else was dead.

I love this game.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: February 19, 2016, 11:59:32 pm »

Yeah, Uzu even thinks it is cheesy when I hack and punch and dodge and generally survive a steelboned dragon battle and then use those bones to make kickass weapons (and a pile of crap ones), dunno why, it isn't a competitive game, but we've all got different senses for what earning something means I suppose. :p

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: February 20, 2016, 04:08:21 am »

Stabbed a bronze colossus to death with an adamantine dagger that was the only thing able to damage it at that moment as my platinum masterful greataxe and shield didn't do squat.
Platinum's nice and dense, but dull. So great for blunt weapons, but not for edge. I'll one up Random_Dragon and say platinum whip!

Btw I don't like whips, but I thought it needed to be said.

Also Droggarth, don't mind Uzu. He's just ornery. His posts though are always worth reading.

Yeah, Uzu even thinks it is cheesy when I hack and punch and dodge and generally survive a steelboned dragon battle and then use those bones to make kickass weapons (and a pile of crap ones), dunno why, it isn't a competitive game, but we've all got different senses for what earning something means I suppose. :p

Heh, It's alright. Uzu's post thankfully didn't affect me as I happend to read Peasant Cretin's (what's with the name? I don't consider you either a peasant or a cretin) first. Anyway for me personally earning something in a game usually means cheating to have fun my way and that platinum greataxe even with the artifact status was just not all that fun to use (didn't function the way I wanted) so I made it adamantine to have awesome hack ability. I'm disliking my greatsword in the main hand though but in a sense that it doesn't fit my demon's style, however when I imagine that artifact adamantine greatsword as a long and menacing broadsword with Khorne/chaos inscriptions. Oh hell yeah! But a regular long and thin like a claymore.. basically a sharp stick for my demon who yearns to hack, maim, charge and mutilate? Nope.

Really need to try out an artifact platinum maul however.. who knows, might just be my demon's style and as with all male characters in games. I'm getting bored of playing as a male Drogoth (aka demonized Dingoth). The main reason why I started playing Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode was so I could play as a thick-boned muscular/bodybuilder mutant beast woman with feminine features intact.. well, intact for warped self and for my Dingoths/Drogoths as they value gender equality and women who can defend themselves and excel in battle.

This is one of the fine examples of what you never get to play as in 99.9% of single-player RPG games (Legend of Grimrock I&II is the only thing that comes close):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:24:10 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: February 20, 2016, 07:14:36 am »

I raided a vault, mostly to scrap the metal, it's pretty easy if you know stealth attack never miss and the guardian can't do anything against wrestling(also body slamming in a slade building does wonder)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: February 20, 2016, 08:37:35 am »

What's making me onery is that, judging from this thread, adventurer mode has become about nothing but handing yourself whopping advantages and then bragging about what you do with it. You can win a fight by ramping your stats to godhood and pulling an adamantine blade out of your ass -- No shit? How could anyone give a fuck? And Droggarth has only begun adventurer mode and has skipped right past beating the challenge on its own terms, never ones played any of the defined races with their defined benefits and deficiencies, and straight to a self-designed race which he has lavished with superior qualities just to satisfy his amazonian domme fantasies.

Does anyone play the actual game, and learn from it, and become godlike without a Monty Haul package of prizes?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: February 20, 2016, 10:02:01 am »

Uzu, people tend to use this thread to share whatever they've done adventure-wise under whatever the conditions.

If someone is ready (the body is ready?) to play "*super* strict rogue" then they're ready. If someone looks at savescumming as a way to build the perfect were-vampire, that's their choice. If they make wild reactions, then the world explodes in a most pleasant manner.

But the interesting thing is everyone is learning in their own way, using their own path, and they'll arrive at vaguely the same goal which is understanding the game.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: February 20, 2016, 10:31:27 am »

What's making me onery is that, judging from this thread, adventurer mode has become about nothing but handing yourself whopping advantages and then bragging about what you do with it. You can win a fight by ramping your stats to godhood and pulling an adamantine blade out of your ass -- No shit? How could anyone give a fuck? And Droggarth has only begun adventurer mode and has skipped right past beating the challenge on its own terms, never ones played any of the defined races with their defined benefits and deficiencies, and straight to a self-designed race which he has lavished with superior qualities just to satisfy his amazonian domme fantasies.

Does anyone play the actual game, and learn from it, and become godlike without a Monty Haul package of prizes?

In my case I play every game like that. In every RPG I buff all of my stats and whatnot so I can play whatever god-being I want. I've got a mental disorder with anxiety, adrenaline and rage. When I try to play a game fair to get the next skill or get enough coins to buy something.. you see things like that just build up my impatience and anxiety to the point of leaving from my chair and I'm then on a verge of breaking something in real life due to still not having the thing I wanted in game. I play games to escape real life not remind me of real life.

Also, becoming godlike/necromancer in DF by normal means wouldn't really satisfy me as I've read the spoilers of the lore and I'd rather be a custom god-being myself.. but demon who slays the gods. Ohhh... you have no idea how satisfying that would be for me.

Uzu, people tend to use this thread to share whatever they've done adventure-wise under whatever the conditions.

If someone is ready (the body is ready?) to play "*super* strict rogue" then they're ready. If someone looks at savescumming as a way to build the perfect were-vampire, that's their choice. If they make wild reactions, then the world explodes in a most pleasant manner.

But the interesting thing is everyone is learning in their own way, using their own path, and they'll arrive at vaguely the same goal which is understanding the game.

I concur! I'm learning DF through wikis and and by trial-and-error in adventure mode (I'm not a strategy type).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:43:37 am by Droggarth »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:19 am »

Whenever someone 'shares' their character's greatness when they only just got started, all I hear is "My Mary Sue is so Sueish!" That's not entertaining unless it's satire, but you aren't even conscious of how you sound.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: February 20, 2016, 11:06:56 am »

Whenever someone 'shares' their character's greatness when they only just got started, all I hear is "My Mary Sue is so Sueish!" That's not entertaining unless it's satire, but you aren't even conscious of how you sound.

I am conscious of how I sound. Don't bloody presume about me and if you do. Fine, think what you think. I don't give crap.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: February 20, 2016, 11:18:52 am »

It is amusing when an overpowered character allows for shenanigans right off the bat. Or have you never modded bronze colossi to be playable? X3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: February 20, 2016, 11:20:12 am »

I decided to search around for some bandits that were hiding in a tomb. Mid fight a mummy of a dead administrator woke up, killed all the bandits before they came back as undead, cursed me, then killed all my companions. All I managed to do was cut off his left hand. I got the heck out of dodge as fast as I could.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: February 20, 2016, 12:34:04 pm »

Yes on the first two (though how much I learn is debatable :P). As for the last point, I don't Monty Haul, but I've never become godlike either. :P

I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, depriving oneself of challenge seems like depriving oneself of fun (unless, like Droggarth, you have good reason to.) On the other hand, Dwarf Fortress is so open-ended and so intricate that playing god is fun in itself, and Adventure Mode is so unfinished that honest-to-goodness questing is variably fun (though Toady has taken strides in fixing this, recently.)
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: February 20, 2016, 12:35:36 pm »

It is amusing when an overpowered character allows for shenanigans right off the bat. Or have you never modded bronze colossi to be playable? X3
Yes, for an experience so unremarkable that I didn't bore anyone by remarking on it. The character plays as you would expect it to.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: February 20, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »

Then go back to whatever method of fun you prefer, and we'll be doing the same. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 1104