Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102106 times)

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10740 on: February 20, 2016, 10:52:05 pm »

So, starting a new Adventure with a commoner striving to be a famous performer across the land. However... unbeknownst to most people, when night falls, he is a serial murderer that must kill at least one person in the town he is in every time night falls. Unfortunately, since how the game works, I can't just leave their desecrated corpse around without people being able to psychicly tell exactly who killed them, nor can I fashion macabre bone carvings out of their remains, so I'll have to settle for dumping their bodies into the woods and leaving animal bone carvings detailing their demise at the scene of the crime.

He has no skills or attributes for combat (outside of Endurance and Willpower, and Dodge), so I wonder how long he'll last if any form of Fun happens. I also tweaked around his personality values to reflect the kind of things I'd relate to being a sociopath, and ended up with the following.

Pretty satisfactory I'd say. The Bard-ing by day and slaughter by night shall begin tomorrow...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: February 20, 2016, 11:00:16 pm »

Why do I like to bullet-time around?

It lets me survive to record stuff like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, I could survive being in the magma, but that isn't the point, my stuff would burn if I did that... do you know how hard it is to find good quality gloves? As you can see I kept getting hit by the sand and then moving back to my recording spot.

So, what you see there, a mountain with a mead hall on top of it (literally on top of one of the big spiky mountain peaks I posted on here before) which has a view due south of a volcano.

Said volcano has a few houses which spawn hanging over it, and then immediately collapse into it.

This is the dorfiest randomly generated dorf hamlet I've ever seen. Every time an adventurer enters the map it sacrifices part of the population to the volcano god!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: February 21, 2016, 01:54:20 am »

When Bim first started out in Puzzlewheels, before any of those ettins, night trolls, and one hit wonders and all of the stuff from the future, the true goal of the journey was to head to the elven town of Winterstill which had a library, as his dream was to make a great discovery. After Inen Waveclams whose name was tastier than it actually was (no one ate any titan to test this idea), Bim, Cerol, and Nisa departed from its lair, Wavebeans the Earthen Pelt (this appears as the lone Ĺ on the map), which is 1 tile south and 14 tiles west of Winterstill:

The trip took about one day or so and they arrived at night. Because the town was so small with everything centered around the market, they were greeted by a terrible lag:

The most natural thing to do once they dropped out of fast travel was to head to a tavern which worships at the temple of simple carbs, The Chocolate of Breakfast. It's an odd mix since Bim had been going Paleo since he first started out:

The following morning, Bim left them at the tavern and headed to the library which apparently had no entrance. He wandered around a few times and it seems those bibliophiles managed to sequester themselves quite perfectly:

After a bit of dawdling, Bim, Cerol, and Nisa left town in search of a giant. They'll ponder what's ahead as they roam. A great distance SE is an elf town with a library. A great distance west is a goblin fort with a library. I wonder who the next recruit will be. I'm actually a little underwhelmed by the options. Unfortunately everything is so heavily defined by combat professions. Having a performer morph into a weapon user in the way Cerol went from farmer to bowelf is none too appealing. In this world, every entity has [ITEM_THIEF] which means there are thieves about. In true RPG tradition, it'd be nice to recruit one, but thieves don't do anything as of yet. It'd be nice if Toady made it so they'd haul stuff around. Then there'd be reason to tomb raid.

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
  • Totally normal person...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: February 21, 2016, 03:58:47 am »

First time I got to rule a place. I just walked there and there was no lord, I never saw that happen.

Shut up Mom! I'm trying to decapitate some goblins here!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10744 on: February 21, 2016, 04:02:31 am »

Elephant Seal Man. Spawned close to a dark fortress, snuck up behind Gobbo#1, chokehold, Unconscious, 'silently' crack his skull open with his own warhammer. Repeat with variants of 'slit throat', silently making an upper body reduce itself to pulp by punching it. Eventually got noticed and went full Captain America with all the shields I had in my backpack.

First time I got to rule a place. I just walked there and there was no lord, I never saw that happen.
Spoiler: large (click to show/hide)

Wait - The council of kissing?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: February 21, 2016, 09:07:15 am »

I thought I would let another companion turn the Dwarf because I thought I could recruit him back quicker if I wasn't the one to bite him, and because everyone does want a piece of him anyway. The Goblin got him, but I only let him have one piece before traveling away, parking everyone on the side and going back to retrieve him. Which I did easily, but everyone still wanted their piece of him, and I just couldn't get them to stop fighting. So I left the dwarf off to the side instead and made everyone basic leather armor so they could still improve armor use in wereform. That must have given everyone time to cool out, because then they were ready to behave when I ran into the Dwarf again.

I still feel like I'm hand-holding; they can hardly deal with just one twilight brute. The Dwarf is losing an extremity for each lair we visit. And I'm losing patience, so the ones with >7 I simply march through decapitating everyone then go back and count the heads. There's still one lair with 24 brutes, and we're just going to have to wait for night to deal with that.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: February 21, 2016, 01:19:17 pm »

Yep. Though I'll readily admit, there are few things as satisfying as being a living god of war...as a kobold.

I kinda like the idea of kobolds.. even tried to play as one just now. Initiated combat between my buffed kobold demigod and a human lord and it is fun when you manage to hack something off but about 60-90% of the time you're dodging, blocking and doing diddly-squat to him then I managed to damage something that made the human shit his pants and bolt/run away.. fun for others and I see why but I'd rather play as my Drogoth and sprint up to him and bash that fucker's head in. Pardon my french.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: February 21, 2016, 01:21:03 pm »

Though with any character, you eventually reach the same point those modded creatures start off at. Like the kobold vampire I had, turns out a two-handed sword is great for level the playing field. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: February 21, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »

Though with any character, you eventually reach the same point those modded creatures start off at. Like the kobold vampire I had, turns out a two-handed sword is great for level the playing field. o3o

Well, I am having a slight bit easier time with an artifact adamantine greatsword and shield but DF Wanderer mod makes playing a kobold even more of a chore as most of the attacks glance away or get blocked still... yet once the blow is made and the opponent on the ground it's easy to slash the head off. Just did that to a dwarf.. a super kobold hacking off a dwarfs head. :o

EDIT: Okay. Things just got more enjoyable once I got around to what strategy to use due to my small stature. It's all in the testing phase at the moment as the world I'm testing in doesn't even have kobolds in it and I need them to be able to speak with as my test character can't speak.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:06:10 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: February 21, 2016, 03:26:14 pm »

Chopping trees down trees containing your companion isn't hostile, unless one of the logs hits, then they act like it's a thrown weapon. I managed to piss off the Poet enough to go lethal on me that way. The only other companion around at the time was the old lady, and she looked like she wandered off to avoid picking a side ("oo, nothing to see here, but that snowdrift off in the distance is so fascinating that it has my complete attention!") I let the Poet swing on me for awhile, and then when I yielded, she stopped attacking, so that was a good sign. I chatted with her for awhile, recited her some light poetry, which she loves even though she says "I'm am not filled with delight." My whole damn party is just too jaded to show any signs of enjoyment, even though they agree on the value of merriment. In spite of her stolid dismissals, eventually the combat flag dropped off and I was able to ask her to join me to entertain again.

Oh, and I guess I could've mentioned this earlier, a STANCE_CLIMBER is not able to catch themselves mid-fall if their hands are filled. You can grab hold and climb with your hands full (how the fuck did these larch needles get into my hands!?) but if you jump or step off into Open Space, then you're in the hands of gravity. I assume the same if you dodge or get thrown off a ledge. But if it's any consolation, falling damage does improve your Armor Use.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: February 21, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »

I chatted with her for awhile, recited her some light poetry, which she loves even though she says "I'm am not filled with delight." My whole damn party is just too jaded to show any signs of enjoyment, even though they agree on the value of merriment.

Something similar happened with a twist: various tavern goers heard some rakish ribaldry, all were pleased except for the my group's swordself who was not filled with delight. When we went to the next tavern it seemed her feeling had changed completely.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: February 21, 2016, 03:56:30 pm »

Uzu bash is playing White Wolf's Werewolves the Apocalypse: Wrath of Armok? like you're recruiting folks and turning them into were-people.
like I'm shock you're not using fort mode to see if you can create a pure werebeast then recruiting that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: February 21, 2016, 04:08:59 pm »

Yup, I've got stance climbing elves and they gotta have a hand free. I do enjoy raising armor skill by just stepping off of ledges and seeing how far the fall is.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: February 21, 2016, 04:23:47 pm »

Something similar happened with a twist: various tavern goers heard some rakish ribaldry, all were pleased except for the my group's swordself who was not filled with delight. When we went to the next tavern it seemed her feeling had changed completely.
Well, the Poet has been this way for many months, always denying that she feels anything at the time, but a minute later, she may remark on the same thing with pleasure/delight/excitement, etc. It's only been in the past month that everyone else has gotten this way, just consistently blase to any performance (but quick to carp about anything.) Maybe if I convince them of the worthlessness of stoicism they'll stop being too cool to smile, but then they may also complain more often.

Uzu bash is playing White Wolf's Werewolves the Apocalypse: Wrath of Armok? like you're recruiting folks and turning them into were-people.
like I'm shock you're not using fort mode to see if you can create a pure werebeast then recruiting that.
What the heck is a 'pure werebeast'? No one is born a werebeast, not even the children of werebeasts. And why would you find it shocking that I'm not playing fortress mode just to augment adventurer mode? Fortress mode is for broader scope projects than any adventurer. I never embark anywhere near my adventurers.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: February 21, 2016, 06:33:28 pm »

Well, the Poet has been this way for many months, always denying that she feels anything at the time, but a minute later, she may remark on the same thing with pleasure/delight/excitement, etc. It's only been in the past month that everyone else has gotten this way, just consistently blase to any performance (but quick to carp about anything.) Maybe if I convince them of the worthlessness of stoicism they'll stop being too cool to smile, but then they may also complain more often.

What the heck is a 'pure werebeast'? No one is born a werebeast, not even the children of werebeasts. And why would you find it shocking that I'm not playing fortress mode just to augment adventurer mode? Fortress mode is for broader scope projects than any adventurer. I never embark anywhere near my adventurers.
sorry the whole werebeast army thing seems like something I would have done as a side adv project, and figured hey if I was doing this I would had a base of werebeast operations where I can get more recruits from building a light tavern near your adventurers.

on the subject of if there's a pure werebeast or just Beast considering your breeding out the whole transforming back to 'were'.
I notice transformed creatures give birth to creature they currently are than what they used to be. Going from my experiments of dwarfcats/catdwarves the fact they didn't give birth to dwarves when they were cats lead to the idea of transformations are changing the Race of the creature to than altering the body type and descriptions.
it's possible for a pregnant Dwarf woman get transformed into a werebeast then deliver her baby, who would be a werebeast and stay that way even though the mother can revert back.

that said oh god this is evil as hell and seems like someone trying to create the anti-Christ, I'm sorry I brought this up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1104