Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102543 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10635 on: February 15, 2016, 07:52:59 pm »

EDIT 4: So how does an anaconda person wear greaves, anyway?

If DF greaves resemble a cuisse/greave metal pants combo for bipeds, since they weirdly start from the waist down in the raws, an anaconda woman would wear a metal tube? One greave? Well, really a single mail chausse, if that makes sense.

Maybe. Or it could be like hip plates attached to a cuirass, or secured by straps.

Also, I am sorely disappointed in how HEAVY metal armor sized for a snek is.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:03 pm »

zombie nerfs are so bad only animal zombies pose a threat to anyone, but that's mostly because they naturally pose a threat normally than having a boost in zombionics
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: February 15, 2016, 08:24:34 pm »

If DF greaves resemble a cuisse/greave metal pants combo for bipeds, since they weirdly start from the waist down in the raws, an anaconda woman would wear a metal tube? One greave? Well, really a single mail chausse, if that makes sense.

Maybe. Or it could be like hip plates attached to a cuirass, or secured by straps.

Definitely. They could be faulds:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulds_%28armour%29
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:27:57 pm by peasant cretin »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:47 pm »

There could be a bit more armor varieties in this game. A bronze age serpent civilization would probably produce an appropriate analogue to greaves in terms of function and ergonomics, but I imagine coding the cultural units that a credible one could be produced from would have to be quite sophisticated.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: February 15, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »

zombie nerfs are so bad only animal zombies pose a threat to anyone, but that's mostly because they naturally pose a threat normally than having a boost in zombionics
Don't forget Zombie Megabeasts. I've had to fight two zombie Dragons in my current world, and those things take grievous amount of beating before they go down.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: February 15, 2016, 08:52:16 pm »

After making my Dingoth bigger in size as to allow to wear human sized stuff but I discovered that all of the iron, bronze and copper boots/high boots were not wearable, interesting. It confirms that the beast races like my modded dingo man really do have digitigrade legs as I didn't mod it in! Those boots just need an extra greave like thing for the third leg area.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: February 15, 2016, 08:58:03 pm »

After making my Dingoth bigger in size as to allow to wear human sized stuff but I discovered that all of the iron, bronze and copper boots/high boots were not wearable, interesting. It confirms that the beast races like my modded dingo man really do have digitigrade legs as I didn't mod it in! Those boots just need an extra greave like thing for the third leg area.
I'm playing a cougar man and I'm wearing greaves and boots sized for humans. This world was genned in 42.05, is yours .06?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: February 15, 2016, 09:17:54 pm »

I'm playing a cougar man and I'm wearing greaves and boots sized for humans. This world was genned in 42.05, is yours .06?

Aye, it is.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: February 15, 2016, 09:25:51 pm »

Ahah! That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Meanwhile, my next target attempted to ambush me. Good, makes the hunt easier.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: February 15, 2016, 10:06:38 pm »

Not sure why every town that begins as a when a world is first generated always devolves to a # once a character is created and then becomes a + by the time we travel there. Very odd.

Anyways, just to the right of the town + at the top of the map is a lair of a freak mate of twilight.

If safety comes first, any night troll type, even a spouse or a night troll child should be treated with caution, whether fought solo or with a group, which should mean complete metal armor, shield, and a weapon with low contact area and good penetration. But as spouses have been weak in every 42.xx instance my characters have met them in, Bim opts to make the journey just wearing the elk bird padded jack, with no metal armor for protection.

Usually I'll have a melee character using the multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) play Holly Holm to the night troll's Ronda Rousey, drawing it through the choke point of a corridor if there is one, and then doing the same outside the lair. Position-based, single-action, stand and trade tick combat just requires far too much stat parity versus the night troll grab.

As per all lair entries, Bim enters prepared for melee. He sees the distance is too close to create a campfire firewall, so he's ready to drag it up the corridor and into the open. He wonders if Cerol will help:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bim still tries to make a campfire firewall (just to see) and doesn't trigger the safety warning, so it's time to play archer. Cerol apparently has sought refuge in the wild. Bim makes the shot to the leg bringing it down. It's nice that that was one from the first batch of 5 arrows Bim made:
After taking away its speed and charge capacity, Bim leaps over the firewall to finish with melee. The feeling of the freak mate of twilight in terms of stat parity was such that Bim went with single-action, stand and trade and had his dodge set to stand ground:
End stats after:

After Bim rejoins Cerol, they head off to find a giant's lair. There Bim finds two giants:
This scene of everyday domesticity flies in the face of everything Armok holds dear:

But since Bim is a dubious worshiper of his own god, and disdains Armok as he disdains most laws, he leaves them be. Bim is glad he had Cerol wait some distance away from the lair as just one arrow shot would have brought this frail, elderly couple under the sword.

Well, next up is another ettin. Hopefully Cerol can get some work in. He's never used his bow. Bim will load up on arrows at the local mead halls. They really can't do any drinking unless Cerol earns his way.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: February 15, 2016, 10:13:25 pm »

The rain has been non-stop since reaching the coast just before this new island, thawing the ice I had relied on for crossing up to that point. I was running out of time to get a lair or two established before the next moon, so I had to mine my way between the seabed and the aquifer layer to get across. On one attempt, I stupidly dug a staircase up when every wall around me was damp. The entire ocean teleported into my tunnel, and the stress of recalculating fluids for it hung the game interminably.

But after I got through, I found a nice pair of lairs with only 19 Twilight Brutes between them. I'm in their territory now, these guys are packed up to 34 deep in every lair surrounding this elvish civ. There is no room left for any other beasts or even bandits. Because the only civ on this island is the elves, the Brutes are the only ones around who know how to make a decent roof, which is the only break from this damn rain we're going to get.

I'm ready to meet a new civ, wow them with my greatness, arrogate their art forms, and buy a big barrel of their boozables, because their Taverns are all BYOB. Who's got the mugs?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: February 15, 2016, 10:21:49 pm »

Yeah, it drove me nuts having "leggings", "greaves", "high boots", and "mail shirts", so I just renamed them to something I thought was more sensible, upper chausses, upper greaves, lower chausses/greaves (leather/metal~bone), and hauberks.

The towns becoming a + on the travel map is just a bug I think, they go back to the masterwork/# symbols when you move away from them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: February 15, 2016, 10:35:27 pm »

I did not expect it to be this easy. The next night troll I intercepted went down about the same. I also have to be careful about traveling at night. I have boogeymen disabled, so what'll really get me is the fact that the nights here get deathly cold.

And yeah, greaves being worn on the lower body always seemed absurd. I really wish the raw files allowed one to define a root body part or body part category for armor in the raws. Likewise, I wish "is this item left/right flagged" was also raw-tweakable, then I could fix the gauntlet bug. Permanently.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:54 am »

I'm still wandering about my starting area and equipping my human companion who is really useful when it comes to giving directions to places so I gave her all of my iron stuff I was wearing or had on the floor in a fort devoid of activity and this time I'm wondering how to heck am I gonna get my character and my traveling companion across the water.

By the way.. my human companion isn't equipping the boots either. So.. I call bugs on this.

Erhm. one must first remove sandals or whatever is worn in that general area. *facepalm* Anyway.. onwards to discover the riddle of steel and how to cross a sea.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:49:56 am by Droggarth »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: February 16, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »

Erhm. one must first remove sandals or whatever is worn in that general area. *facepalm* Anyway.. onwards to discover the riddle of steel and how to cross a sea.

Good luck with that. Whereas rivers can have bridges, shallow streams, or simply be swam through quickly, seas are...huge. If you truly can't find a land bridge or any other connection to where you're going, only hope is to find the shortest possible patch of sea. Alternatively, if you're in a cold area you can wait until dark and see if the water freezes. That's pretty much the only way you're going to get your companions across with you, unless they can fly. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1104