Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102558 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10620 on: February 14, 2016, 04:52:20 pm »

good news in the old version those zombies would have totally murder the stew out of you. now you just ... kinda constantly murder them in waves wondering why am I doing this.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: February 14, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »

The final Megabeast in the Northern Hemisphere was a Shelled Humanoid made of Galena. Unlike an earlier Titan made of Solid Gold, I was actually able to murder this one with my fists. It also had poisonous spit, but does that stuff ever land? I have never seen a titan or other beast with such a move land a single globule on anything.

Anyway, now i can finally move on to the Southern Hemisphere. Gonna stop by my hometown and see how things are going, say hello to the Lord, and stop by the local volcano to dump some unsavory things inside.

---  Well I just had an interesting remark from a Cyclops. I said gave him greetings, and he responded with "You are a dangerous animal. You are a pleasure to speak with, but now this stands between us." I wonder if this is just a default response (since I've never attempted to start conversation with a Cyclops I have yet to maim), or if word of the Beast slaying Elephant Man is getting around to the very people I'm hunting.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:18:22 pm by Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: February 14, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »

The final Megabeast in the Northern Hemisphere was a Shelled Humanoid made of Galena. Unlike an earlier Titan made of Solid Gold, I was actually able to murder this one with my fists. It also had poisonous spit, but does that stuff ever land? I have never seen a titan or other beast with such a move land a single globule on anything.

Anyway, now i can finally move on to the Southern Hemisphere. Gonna stop by my hometown and see how things are going, say hello to the Lord, and stop by the local volcano to dump some unsavory things inside.

---  Well I just had an interesting remark from a Cyclops. I said gave him greetings, and he responded with "You are a dangerous animal. You are a pleasure to speak with, but now this stands between us." I wonder if this is just a default response (since I've never attempted to start conversation with a Cyclops I have yet to maim), or if word of the Beast slaying Elephant Man is getting around to the very people I'm hunting.
basically the dangerous animal comment is what normally people would say to megabeasts or semimegabeasts, and kinda why peasants are auto-hostile to adventurers who play as them, it overrides all kinds of logic and no amount of pacifism is going to get rid of it. now if said cyclops got transformed into a non megabeast then maybe the AI won't go historical and you can convince them to join you or throw dance parties.

wonder if being a ghost or say a wagon overrides that comment.

edit: okay so giving up on everything else I'm just going to move 2 goblins Plump helmetmen into a fort and stick them in a broomcloset.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:32:54 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »

Basically the dangerous animal comment is what normally people would say to megabeasts or semimegabeasts, and kinda why peasants are auto-hostile to adventurers who play as them, it overrides all kinds of logic and no amount of pacifism is going to get rid of it. now if said cyclops got transformed into a non megabeast then maybe the AI won't go historical and you can convince them to join you or throw dance parties.

That reminds me. Because of being a gigantic scary Animal Man, a lot of creatures and beings that normally are auto-hostile to me are sometimes very chill with me (outside of ambushes anyway), at least when they don't run away in fear. I ran into a group of Harpies while making my way out of the Evil Lands, and was able to strike up a conversation, converse about Values, and even dance a merry jig with them.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »

Genned a 250 yr medium island world for the new reactions in 42.06.

Bim Fieldpebble begins in Puzzlewheels, part of a collection of hillocks at the northernmost tip of the landmass, near an elven town which has evolved into a ☼. He starts as a melee dwarf, which is the usual future archer set-up, as even dedicated archers will always do their fair share of fencing, particularly in lairs.

Still in Puzzlewheels, he picks up an elk bird padded jack and ventures outside to craft a plain bow before traveling to all the hillocks in the area to rummage through various cabinets for clothes. During this outfitting expedition, the conversation in one of the hillocks veers toward very large birds who enjoy politics. Plenty of rocs have taken over various civs and are running amok. In this world, megabeasts (roc, dragon, hydra) were given the tokens [INTELLIGENT][POWER] in the creature_standard.txt. Apparently they've made the most of this and so Bim will avoid these sites for now.

After populating the map with lairs, using spread rumor/ask for directions, it's discovered there's a nearby ettin, who will be the first fight:

While (from behind a firewall) planting an arrow into the leg of a semimegabeast (to cut its speed and remove its charge attack) might be the preferred tactic of archers, Bim opts to just melee with this ettin who seems fairly vocal. This may or may not be a good idea since the gifts of world gen are often unknown until it is too late:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This ettin, however, moves slowly into view, and right there we know a position-based, single-action, stand and trade tick combat will be used. While there's not much !!SCIENCE!! behind this notion, as a fast sprinter may just be an idiot, generally when seeing something with a large gait move over 3 tiles in 10 ticks, it might be better if one hedges bets, to opt to multi-attack with quick attack + dodge away to control distance and ward away the grab attack. This isn't the case here, nor will the lack of metal hand and foot armor become a concern.

This fight which began with an ettin's bold call to yield, ends up being a chase around the lair with the ettin running outside:

Back at a hillock, as Bim sits around crafting bows, graduating to adequate wood crafter and novice bowyer, he enters into conversation with an elvish farmer named Cerol Inashdoren (Cerol Organdiamond):
Before heading out, they go to the drinking mound so that Cerol can say his goodbyes. After all, this farmer-turned-recruit is going off and leaving the everyday behind, and of course no one knows what the future will bring. Here, it seems as though no amount of questioning Cerol would have revealed this:
Drinking mounds have been better on the whole for discovering those unknown facets of an NPC companion's traits, than taverns which are performance-based venues. But then maybe my characters have gone to the wrong taverns. It seems best to avoid recruiting the anxiety prone, those who aren't brave, and those who handle pressure poorly. So, we'll have to see.

They head west. It's off to the elven town which has devolved from a ☼ to a #. First for a drink, then there's a freak mate of twilight in the area. Night troll spouses have been fairly weak in 42.xx, likely because of their sizing (no larger than human) and spears with stab contact of 20 and swords with stab contact of 50 have been able to sever their hands. In other worlds devoted to experimenting and refighting the same fight irrespective of win/loss, it's been noticed spouses can be out grappled. This has happened on a few occasions. However a pair of archers should probably try to get some work in. Archer's grip never trains itself.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:40:23 am by peasant cretin »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: February 14, 2016, 09:02:34 pm »

Basically the dangerous animal comment is what normally people would say to megabeasts or semimegabeasts, and kinda why peasants are auto-hostile to adventurers who play as them, it overrides all kinds of logic and no amount of pacifism is going to get rid of it. now if said cyclops got transformed into a non megabeast then maybe the AI won't go historical and you can convince them to join you or throw dance parties.

That reminds me. Because of being a gigantic scary Animal Man, a lot of creatures and beings that normally are auto-hostile to me are sometimes very chill with me (outside of ambushes anyway), at least when they don't run away in fear. I ran into a group of Harpies while making my way out of the Evil Lands, and was able to strike up a conversation, converse about Values, and even dance a merry jig with them.

Explains quite a lot why wilderness creatures stay indifferent to my dingoth. Anyway, I decided to load backup of the world again because the very notion of killing that dwarf queen and that bookkeeper started to irk me greatly. Ugh, poor sods.. I'm gonna just use stealth and yank something useful from the trading areas. Clearly something is glitched with that queen and the first time I talked with her was after I had a talk with some other dwarf for quite a bit.

"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: February 15, 2016, 01:51:33 am »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: February 15, 2016, 02:57:52 am »

Awesome.

Anyway, I myself are creating a new world since my Dingoths should be at about 80165-140000 in body size going by the recent calculations coupled with me half-arsed understanding of math calculations at hand. At least now when I go against something bigger I'll be more menacing on the battlefield. Once my female warrior beast character has been recreated I shall cue the theme 'Returns a King' from 300 and fight basically in the nude with a shield and an axe and hopefully I'll find a cool/useful helmet and a crimson cloak too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:19:08 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: February 15, 2016, 09:14:57 am »

so uhh the two plumphelmet people are classed as Pets due to I guess not having Talk options or intelligence.
somehow they can perform music in fort mode EVEN though you can't due to their lack of talking.
oh and the Labor option for them seemly Lock out even though I can see and possibly trigger them if I move over to a dwarf and go into the menu that way.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: February 15, 2016, 09:20:37 am »

The full moon caught me way off guard. The wiki said it was on the 11th of Sandstone (since corrected.) Six hours before midnight on the 10th, I was brewing booze on top of a converted troll lair when I transformed. Everyone was still parked inside, still in all their equipment, though the Poet, Dancer and old lady would have shedded theirs at the same time as mine. I had no way of knowing where everyone was situated inside, how close they were to each other.

So I grabbed my pack, knife and shield and jumped off the edge to the nearest border and ran to try to fast-travel before the Goblin or Dwarf got ripped to pieces. Then I stopped and waited for The Moment to appear in either of their histories. I didn't have the patience to wait for long, I sprinted in the direction of their wayfinders. The Dwarf was apart from them in a slightly different direction. His self-preservation instinct is legendary; I know of no Hero who has more of the better part of valor than he has.

When I caught up to them, the ladies were tearing into the unconscious Goblin, and though their attacks couldn't puncture his armor, they were successfully grappling and shaking him around by the teeth. There wasn't a lot of blood, so his damaged limbs were probably due to wrestling holds, but they were still getting arteries opened. I had hoped one of them would turn him so it would be easier for me to re-invite him, but they couldn't get a good bite through the armor. There was no way I could peel off his armor for a direct shot without them destroying him, so I fast traveled to back them out, and made them wait while I did the conversion. He was tough as hell, and even his rope reed tunic blunted my teeth, so I had to strip off all 8 upper body layers to finally inflict The Moment. After that, he was predictably sore at me, so I had to ditch him at the lair and bring the girls back to the other converted lair nearby. He should be cooled down again after the moon wanes.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:03 am »

found out the two mushrooms where males, welp back to migrating a third mushroom to ice cap hell fort.
so there should be 4 citizens 1 dwarf, 3 adventure shroom folks.
if this adventurer kid thing works I might migrate some rhinos or elephant men to help fight off the zombie animals.
edit: okay we got confirmation that you can infact get a ghost out of an adventurer.

now to see if toady fix the whole ghost can't fly bit.
edit: oh uhh looks like adventurers turning into ghosts are like them turning into zombies where it doesn't let you play as them in adventure mode.
well that sucks. because I guess there's NO Flipping way to prove ghost adventurers can't fly now in vanilla.
man what a huge disappointment. 
edit : uhh don't fire arrows at ghosts the game will crash doing so.
edit: okay so I Was looking for the dead plump helmet man's corpse to resurrect but I think the dwarf brew it into ale.
well that would answer the now vengeful ghost of Id.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:01:43 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:30 pm »

Sssilly humansss, count yourssselvess lucky that Toady broke cannibalisssm.

No sign of immediate hazards menacing our hamlet, so maybe I'll hunt down the tower I saw in worldgen and test those zombie nerfs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:37:03 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: February 15, 2016, 04:28:22 pm »

Umm... I somehow managed to make a Roc Terrified! and run away from me.

I can't tell if this is just DF being DF, or if this is an actual thing that should be possible. I don't care that I'm a giant Elephant Man, Megabeasts shouldn't be scared of anything  :-\

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: February 15, 2016, 04:49:34 pm »

Rocs in a nutshell:

Meanwhile, I'm grilling the mead hall's dancer for info on banditos to purge, along with other stuff before I ask the elven lady of this hamlet for objectives.

EDIT: Speaking of rocs, there's one in my world, apparently occupying a ruined fortress. Interesting.

EDIT 2: Well. En route to the lair the lady sent me after, I visited a shrine. Turned out to be a mi-go. A few good smacks and it crumpled easily. It's a good thing that this version of Adventurecraft is right before I made mi-gos able to make multiple pincer attacks, because anaconda women can't jump.

EDIT 3: Among the loot littering the shrine was a human skeleton. Was tempted to recover the body, but too heavy. The alternative is to put it to good use. :V

EDIT 4: So how does an anaconda person wear greaves, anyway?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:00:55 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: February 15, 2016, 07:46:38 pm »

EDIT 4: So how does an anaconda person wear greaves, anyway?

If DF greaves resemble a cuisse/greave metal pants combo for bipeds, since they weirdly start from the waist down in the raws, an anaconda woman would wear a metal tube? One greave? Well, really a single mail chausse, if that makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1104