Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102970 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10440 on: February 05, 2016, 02:34:28 pm »

I had a loyalty-cascade like event when fighting bandits. I had killed a number of megabeasts so I had a lot of fame, so I had recruited about 14 companions, 6 of which had professions like wood burner and brewer. then I happened across a bandit camp. I immediately asked for unconditional surrender.
he refused to answer me(because he was asleep) so started attacking the camp, everything was going smoothly until suddenly two of my military turned lethal on my companions, I ran in and asked them to stop fighting pointlessly, they complied. then 4 other companions went to lethal on us. then more. then more.by this point I gave up on diplomacy and was killing the traitors when I decided "I've gotta leave with the surviving companions" so I left with my remaining two companions, a wood burner, and a carpenter. thankfully the one wood burner was the person I had given the  good quality iron whip.
on the story goes
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: February 05, 2016, 04:56:49 pm »

I've been playing my dwarf swordsdwarf as a forester/ranger. With a bit of help by looking into mods by Deon and Random_Dragon I figured out how to put in a few reactions so that wood bows and rock arrows can be crafted out in the wild. Just doing the normal of framing the combat encounters with firewalls and high volume shooting (required for vanilla bows and ammo) before switching melee when hunting monsters. With beasts and bandits the forester is dropping out of fast travel, sneaking through slow travel until they come into view, exiting sneak, shooting, then bracing for the charge. Just dwarven guerilla warfare, or as much as you can do before it feels like the brokenness of ambush is tilted far too much in your favor.

A thing I was wondering: if your character was fond of books and was still a bit of a travel away from the nearest library, and noticed a tavern bard with an interesting codex, to you trade them? These days I never trade for something I don't know the value of. I mean, you never know if the book that bard was holding was "their book" the book that held all their tales, yet they traded for an instrument neither of you has ever played.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: February 05, 2016, 05:22:43 pm »

Trying to figure out how to play instruments or if you indeed can play them. Wanna get those skills and fighting skills up to become the most magnificent murderous musician this side of Mogadishu.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: February 05, 2016, 05:31:00 pm »

Trying to figure out how to play instruments or if you indeed can play them. Wanna get those skills and fighting skills up to become the most magnificent murderous musician this side of Mogadishu.

In the k-to-talk option, you can start a performance. Musical form if you know of any, then you pick an instrument that's used for that form of music, song, whatever it is.

So, back to forming a monster island.

EDIT: The time has come. Today...we be a pansy elf in a world of sheer terror.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Literally the first thing I'm greeted with is dead trees and the stank-ass of a voracious cave crawler blowing in the wind.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:54:58 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: February 05, 2016, 06:00:55 pm »

It is possible; I have acquired Dabbling skill in 4 different instruments, plus the Wind and Stringed skills which I didn't start with. I think I had to get Proficient Musician before I could use the instruments in my hands, but still no way to play stationary instruments, even with adv-fort.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: February 05, 2016, 06:04:37 pm »

Bah. I'll compose my own music after I murder something. Got a glumprong shield, and since I left my weapon skills a blank slate I might break my spear down to make a copper warhammer.

EDIT: On second thought, if I remember the !!SCIENCE!! I committed ages ago, maces fare slightly better against any undead I might encounter.

"You make a +copper mace+."

EDIT 2: Oh you are not a happy camper.

EDIT 3: Yeah fuck that, I noped out and tracked down the cave crawler instead.

EDIT 4: Oi you! Get down from there! I'm the elf here, hiding in the treetops is supposed to be my shtick!

Screenshot:

EDIT 5: I think the poor thing might be stuck. Or maybe it's already took a couple rocks to the head before I got here.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:36:08 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: February 05, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »

Howling Monster, only one of its kind, and I had to come all the way out nowhere to extinct it. Very nicely situated lair though, especially for the full moon rising soon. Its burrow entry is in the side of a canyon at the far northeast corner of the tile. Roughly 1/3 of the map is 5 zlvls up in the opposite corner. So I can easily build two independent bases, secluded from each other, and take my werelizard clan off hunting without disturbing anyone. I won't try to induct the Goblin this moon; the logistics are too hairy and I don't think I should be distracted from guiding my most recent initiate into the clan.

We're far from any settlement, but there's plenty to do here. In one direction is another forest titan within increasingly savage lands, and a peak I won't be able to resist climbing. To the other direction is unicorns! I haven't seen unicorns since v34.xx, when they were impaling all the elves in the retreats! I could leave here with a full set of unicorn leather clothes, and a bookshelf full of feather wood bound unicorn parchment codices! (Btw, a feather wood bookshelf weights only 1u and holds 120 units of booze; 20 units more than barrels and pots.) The only limit is thread to bind with, unless I can butcher the wool off a satyr's legs.

EDIT: Ah, ha -- feather tree feather thread! I did not know this would work, I just set up a farmer's workshop on a whim and tried to spin thread with feather tree down. And adv-fort is a little buggy with thread spinning, so it'll accept anything as input regardless of how invalid, and then for the turns spent churn out the same thing you put in. You can't spin a silver whip into thread, but you can exercise the skill. I'm surprised this resulted in a valid game object, and you can weave cloth from it.  Cloth value 84; lower than wool but much higher than any other plant cloth. A rope made with it only weighs 2u, compared with 7u for other plant cloth.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:55:42 pm by Uzu Bash »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: February 05, 2016, 09:59:48 pm »

This poor little cave crawler. This is not a cave. This is a tree.

I will liberate you from existence.

EDIT: Blind cave ogre was annoying and of no value due to not letting craft stuff out of its delicious body parts
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:05:35 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: February 06, 2016, 11:10:59 am »

Stumbled upon a shrine. As with all unknown shrines, Bim Fieldpebble the forester (sneaking) crept up to survey the area, just because it was unknown what was living there.

Bim was going to avoid any bronze colossus since he doesn't have steel or the stats for melee, and this is a snowy region where all the rivers are frozen, so there's really no way of escaping by repeat dodge into the water (since colossuses can't swim).

As for titans, it pretty much depends on the titan's body materials, since a meat titan with web or fire-breathing can still be shot at range and bled out.

The area around the shrine had a few level changes and was dotted with trees, obscuring clear field of vision. A "safe" shrine would be situated in a more open space. Because of this, Bim stowed away his bow and switched to shield and sword just to prepare for a potential blitzing charge.

So here are quite a few unknowns which if you're playing a strict rogue playstyle pretty much means you might want to avoid such an area when your character is lower on stats. If you're a gambler and you don't mind rerolling, you go ahead and place your future in the Hand of Fate.

This shrine had a titan with a 360 field of vision. It noticed Bim skulking around like a kobold and approached slowly. This was the first sign that this wouldn't be a rout.
Here there's now the chance of that foot/leg shot.

Coming into view, this (gigantic eyeless) Mockinbird only had a spittle attack. If it had been a webber Bim could only expect death.

So the normal attack sequence, first the foot/leg to drop titan speed and charge:

This titan was a weak damage sponge which required either death by a thousand cuts, major artery, headshot, or in this case lung strikes to cause suffocation.
Bim started with high strength and toughness, but only average endurance, so he became tired during the encounter. There were moments where he had to jump away to create distance, so he could let time pass and let the tiredness pass. The fight gain was endurance did improve from average to above average.

Bim makes a funeral pyre:

End stats:

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: February 06, 2016, 11:56:15 am »

Next forest titan, a gigantic mite -- yet again no titan skin. Beware its webbing! -- so no combat practice for my companions this time. Standard binocular vision, but 3 z-lvls above appears to be out of that range and safe to hide in. I somehow left my pick behind so I wasn't about to hazard a stealth head-shot. Not enough serrated disks, so I sharped rocks until I had 15 masterworks, and pitched those at it until wings and enough legs were broken enough to ground it. He didn't even turn around after I climbed down to 1zlvl over him. After throwing my dagger as well, the best I had was a divine spear with Adequate skill in it. A precise attack pierced the brain.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: February 06, 2016, 05:11:57 pm »

Playing as a human adventurer in a elven civilization (which unfortunately means I have a wooden sword). There's a necromancer tower nearby, which I hope to take over and raise a zombie army to destroy the world.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: February 06, 2016, 06:02:34 pm »

The split-level secluded bases didn't work as smoothly as I thought. Coming back from the opposite side I parked the non-were companions, I went into the burrow to check all the equipment we dropped to see if any of it failed to save properly, like it did at the shrine. The Dancer was right there at the ground level. I didn't believe she saw me, in the dark and facing away, but I hustled off the map and fast traveled.

I then parked the Poet and the old lady a little offsite to try to sneak back in and drop the massive load of animal skins I'd collected in the basement. But I saw a werebeast standing on the plateau where the hatch down was, looked at it, and it was a werelizard Dancer. I couldn't believe it, I thought I was out of there in under 40 ticks with no one with the wiser, but apparently the Poet had a chomp on her in that short amount of time.

So now the Dancer is part of the family. I hastily invited her and ran back to collect the others and get the hell off site. I'm so glad I built a wall dividing the plateau, as it obstructed the view between her and the Dwarf, who was also wandering along the canyon-side.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: February 06, 2016, 09:22:26 pm »

So, I'm venturing into this cave, I hoped to encounter a cave dragon. Instead I found a troll (not useful because I didn't mod them to be usable for crafting) and a cyclops child.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: February 06, 2016, 09:49:48 pm »

I've finally found my way to my first HFS

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: February 06, 2016, 09:59:14 pm »

The weapons are, light shields are useless for bashing and the material properties don't matter for blocking.

Though if you modded weapons to remove the stupid slaps with the flat/pommel strike attacks like I did then the weapons in there are useless too.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1104