Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103741 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10380 on: January 30, 2016, 05:00:17 pm »

I generated my first Medium world, and it looks very interesting and full of variety. Decided to try out an Elephant Man, and boy are these things strong. Going for an unarmed Brawler style character.

One disadvantage of being so large is that my visual stealth is horrendous, and the Bandits I've been facing run away screaming for mercy the moment they so much as glimpse me. That doesn't stop me from being able to Sneak up behind them if they're facing another direction however, which brings funny images of a gigantic Elephant Man creeping through forests and quietly sidling up behind people just staring off into space.

I encountered a vampire in a town, but I couldn't so much as get close to him without him shooting off into the distance like Usain Bolt. I ended up chasing him around Benny Hill style for the better part of two days, before I hired a Crossbowman that got a lucky shot to his leg, and finally caved his head in.

Weremammoths can also stealth, in point of fact. They have light-bending fur.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: January 30, 2016, 07:15:24 pm »

Deposited all the books I discovered and authored with scholars at the civ's library. I hope that means they store it in some historical sense, so that instead of having to repeat my stories personally, historical figures will peruse them their damn selves. Yet for good measure I headed back to the only keep my stories wouldn't be interrupted with a bombardment of bloodshed and horribly broken bodies, and related my greatest chronicles. Due to lag, it took ~2.5 RL hours to finish telling about all the megabeasts I killed, but I also inserted peaks I'd climbed, masterful meals I made out of mega meat, and some of the better works I'd authored. A little after I segued into all the night trolls slain by the whole party, everyone passed out simultaneously. So I finished up in a nearby tavern and skipped town. This civ is now a closed chapter.

One disadvantage of being so large is that my visual stealth is horrendous, and the Bandits I've been facing run away screaming for mercy the moment they so much as glimpse me. That doesn't stop me from being able to Sneak up behind them if they're facing another direction however, which brings funny images of a gigantic Elephant Man creeping through forests and quietly sidling up behind people just staring off into space.
That reminds me of an old riddle that's only supposed to be funny to children: "Why do elephants paint their toenails different colors?" "So they can hide in a bag of jellybeans."

So if you don't see an Elephant Man in your jellybeans, that doesn't mean he doesn't see you. You could be seconds away from death.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: January 30, 2016, 08:39:19 pm »

My favorite use of stealth is climbing up on top of a roof, laying on my tummy, and sneaking up on bandits until they start to rob someone so I can jump up and tackle them out of nowhere.

Noone expects the Adventurer Imposition!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: January 30, 2016, 09:59:46 pm »

My favorite use of stealth is climbing up on top of a roof, laying on my tummy, and sneaking up on bandits until they start to rob someone so I can jump up and tackle them out of nowhere.

There's an idea; how much does crawling improve an Elephant Man's visual stealth, and what's their crawling top speed?

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: January 30, 2016, 10:19:02 pm »

There's an idea; how much does crawling improve an Elephant Man's visual stealth, and what's their crawling top speed?
My elephant Man still has "Worst Possible" visual stealth while crawling, and his top crawling speed is 1.014

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: January 30, 2016, 10:26:26 pm »

"Hey what's that elephant doing up on the roof there?"
'Shaddup you idiot, if he notices you noticing him he's gonna kill us!'

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: January 30, 2016, 10:38:24 pm »

Yeah, I couldn't wait for the answer and tried one in the arena. "Too large for vegetation" and extremely large profile.

From what I can see, Elephant Men don't get any better or worse attributes than humans, but they get worse gaits. Their greatest advantages are mass, base size 201.8k urists, and about that amount in total blood volume. Extremely tough to kill. Gore attack and SWIMS_INNATE are pretty minor compared to those.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: January 30, 2016, 11:09:48 pm »

My Elephant Man Monk has been able to successfully solo a number of Beasts, including Giants, two Cyclops, and numerous Night Creatures. He might meet his greatest challenge yet however, as his most recent Hearthperson order is to conquer the local Necromancer Tower. I have yet to fight post 0.42.05 Undead yet (and I still have nightmares about my horrifying encounter with a 0.42.04 Necro Tower), so I'm gonna be cautious and bring a huge troop of soldiers with me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:59 am »

I've done zombie apocalypses since 42.05 by waking mummies and attacking them (since they won't curse me after I get certain buff items) so they wake the horde.

They aren't as dramatic as they used to be, bodies everywhere, slaughter left and right, now it is a hundred zombies in a pile punching one guy in the head for an hour until he dies.

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: January 31, 2016, 09:33:19 am »

What items prevent curses?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: January 31, 2016, 09:59:35 am »

What items prevent curses?
The Ring of Save-Scumming.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: January 31, 2016, 03:55:53 pm »

I have dealt with the Necro Tower without receiving so much as a single bruise or injury, and my legion of followers contributed nothing to the battle outside of acting as distractions, and then dying. :p   New zombies are definitely manageable if you are prepared for them, and their biggest strength is their numbers, so it no longer feels like you are fighting an army of Megabeasts, but rather just an extremely large group of very persistent animals.

It definitely took forever though... I lost track of how much time it took, but I had to kill 64 Zambambos in all. Most of them died to a single punch to the head, but a few were fairly persistant and refused to go down to repeated bashings (one Gobbo corpse in particular took at least a dozen skull/brain tearing blows to the head), but I found that Scratching/Biting their heads worked well for the resilient ones.

I'm confused however, I've killed all the undead in the area and killed the necromancers inside, yet my Quest is still listed as having not been accomplished. Anybody got any clue what I'm missing?

Edit: I checked around the perimeter of the area, and when I come back, another 60 or so Undead pour out of the tower again! I've killed them all, and there aren't any new necromancers in the tower. Don't tell me I have to keep spawning Undead out of this place until the game runs out of them...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:21:24 pm by Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser »

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: January 31, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »

I'm commissioning a drawing of crouching-elephant zombie-slayer <CurrentYear> leaping from a roof with a spine in his right hand for 35,000 dfbucks.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: January 31, 2016, 06:32:56 pm »

I came upon the first Dark Pits supposedly possessed by the Failed Evils and found only nomadic humans. Just three guys with their warlord, and Pits full of goblin skeletons. Maybe those are the site owners. I could've bundled them into a bonfire, but instead I carried on to their last stronghold, another Dark Pits named Troubledmonsters. According to sources, this should have at least 18 goblins, but that's no indication of what I'm up against -- it could be all soldiers, all civilians or mixed. I watched a few come out one by one and intercepted them on their way to neighboring pits. Maybe I can just take them all out with ambushes.

Much earlier in my adventure, I had recruited a crazed Elite Goblin vampire from another nearby Pits, who vanished on me on the way out. It turns out she was rewarded for her murder spree with an appointment as Administrator of the place. I remembered she had nice gear that my Swordgoblin could use if we're going to storm this Failed Evils stronghold. I visited, watched her slaughter her remaining citizens with help from my companions, then accused her of being a Night Creature, and looted her stinking undead corpse. So that place is now a ghost settlement. The gear wasn't that great, but a few more pieces of bronze armor doesn't hurt.

But the date is creeping up on me, and I only have a limited time before the full moon. If I'm going to initiate this elderly Crossbow woman, I have to figure out a way to split the party three ways and still recover them all later.

Edit: I checked around the perimeter of the area, and when I come back, another 60 or so Undead pour out of the tower again! I've killed them all, and there aren't any new necromancers in the tower. Don't tell me I have to keep spawning Undead out of this place until the game runs out of them...
I think this should've been fixed before, or along with, nerfing them. If the necromancers are all dead, what's creating these undead? Did a wandering member of the cult stop by to park his zombie horde before heading out? Is the slab itself generating them? Having an endless supply of practice dummies isn't so bad, but you can't get any sense of completion out of the ordeal.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: January 31, 2016, 07:36:17 pm »

I think this should've been fixed before, or along with, nerfing them. If the necromancers are all dead, what's creating these undead? Did a wandering member of the cult stop by to park his zombie horde before heading out? Is the slab itself generating them? Having an endless supply of practice dummies isn't so bad, but you can't get any sense of completion out of the ordeal.
What I'm curious the most of is whether Undead count as members of the Necromancer group I'm supposed to kill. I'd imagine not, so the only thing I can guess other than the game being glitched, would be that one of the members of their Necro-fanfic group is out wandering around or on vacation somewhere away from the Tower. I don't even know how I would go about finding members of a group...
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 1104