Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103767 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10365 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »

Tell a story about the lair or the nudist, Feniks, and you can learn about what they were cursed with.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:51 am »

I decided to make a two handed sword users, a la Guts from Berserk.  I trained his wrestling and fighting up to legendary, and decided to go take out a bandit camp, simple enough.  What was out of the ordinary were the disproportionate amount of were beasts in the general vicinity.  Only were-lizards and were-deer.  They were tough, and felt no pain, but once their legs were crippled it was a simple matter of bleeding them out.

The injuries were still starting to pile up for my Guts expy.  A were-deer ( this type of were beast was easily the more difficult to deal with ) managed to actually bite my guy's tongue off, which I thought was pretty badass.

I must've fought about 5 were beasts, and after facing a were-deer again, it appeared i'd met my match.  The thing bit my hand off, followed by my foot.  I didn't pay attention to any of the combat logs other than my own, which were a series of desperate strikes to as many arteries as possible.  Amazingly, the thing bled out before I could.  I fast travelled to assess just how utterly broken my guy was.

I fast travelled and...I was fine.  Completely fine.  My body parts were all there, in fact I had no prior injuries or health warnings.  Weirdly enough, my items were also, I suppose gone, it said they were being "hauled". 

Turns out all those bites from the were-deer weren't for nothing.  I was a fully fledged were beast.

I then spent the next day or so wrestling the crap out of another injured were-deer ( who injured it I'm not entirely sure ), raising my now were-ified guy's stats, which apparently were quite low.  I wanted to see what a were beast with multiple ranks of legendary wrestling could do against bogeymen. 

Night passes, day dawns without event, and I'm a buck naked human, with only a dagger and a backpack.

I'm off to the nearest mead hall to get a sword and some armour, I really don't want this gem of an adventurer to die.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: January 29, 2016, 06:54:42 am »

Wiping out the remnants of the Failed Evils is starting to feel like dirty work. Most of them are civilians, just taking refuge. When there are soldiers, they camp in larger groups, and naturally are equipped and trained for battle. And now that I've cleared all of them from this area, I'm seeing more and more trenches appear around hamlets I'm revisiting. These hamlets aren't under any attack, and I don't see anyone occupying the towers in the trenches.Why would this be happening? Who is building these trenches?

Serrated glass discs are a lot less effective against armored opponents. They're still great as a Misc Weapon as they make beautiful messes, but not great for throwing.

2. Hod do I wake mummy up? I tried bashing the doors stilling treasure and still no sign of him.
Not all tombs have active mummies. They're a lot rarer this version, so the odds are lower. The stakes are still as high, so you'd best be prepared anyway. A mummy's curse will end an adventurer's career.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: January 29, 2016, 08:18:51 am »

Uzu and I disagree on mummy rarity, I think he is just cursed with an inverse-mummy-odds curse because they are REALLY prevalent in every world I generate, and not just the dwarf tombs (I have them build tombs instead of humans) but also in the town tombs with human mummies. I assume every tomb will have one now because 70% is as low an estimate as I feel comfortable with.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: January 29, 2016, 09:07:21 am »

This party was doing so well against night trolls and goblins, but now they're getting tore up by gray langur again. The Poet has gone 2 moons without a scratch, and now she's covered in scars and missing teeth, along with the other two fighters. I've kept the Dancer at a distance from these fights, so as not to throw away another pack mule so soon. I'm not sure this is improving their skills as much as I had hoped, but I'm going to keep marching to that camp in the middle.

I assume every tomb will have one now because 70% is as low an estimate as I feel comfortable with.
It's a good practice to always assume that. Even 1% rate is too high considering that damage they can cause.

EDIT: I can conclude that Crossbowman isn't a vampire, even though she's wearing human bone jewelry and she's a 98-year-old white-haired woman who had a lot of teeth for a 98-year-old (had.) When I passed around overflowing mugs of fisher berry wine, she got as puking drunk as everyone else, and shot to the gut in combat made her nauseous and tired. So I looked her up and it appears she's had a distinguished history of hunting werebeasts.

This partnership between us will become more ironic next full moon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:45:30 am by Uzu Bash »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: January 29, 2016, 06:56:49 pm »

Well, I mean 70% because I see way more than 7/10. It's always nerve-wracking to start out and see some nice gear and pick it up, then there's a trap under it, and then you see footstep !'s in the next room.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: January 29, 2016, 07:11:07 pm »

While I was futzing around with my earlier experiments in architecture at this camp, instead of tanning the 40+ skins in my pack, the head of a gray langur animated and stalked my companions. I have no idea how to kill these things, maybe take off every possible facial feature, but those are almost always Impossible to hit and even harder to excise. But it wasn't capable of doing anything other than giving my companions cheap target practice even unto exhaustion. 4 dozen silver bolts, wasted. I hastily tanned the remaining skins, heads first, and traveled off the nearest edge of the site. There's a camp I need never return to.

Passed again through the good desert, and this time got my feather egg contained right. Last time I mistook them for food items, so when I dropped one on the ground, I didn't notice it was liquid until it was all a smear under the pile of of my equipment that emptied out with it. It's a liquid that eats like a meal, so you can use the pool exploit to keep yourself perpetually fed. I'm going to cook with it and see what it does to the meal value. I don't even need to carry jewels and jewelry now, I can just cook something and trade that for anything, everything, and your daughter.

EDIT: I was mistaken about it being a food, but it does add a lot of value to meals. So instead of carrying cash I could just pull one off the stack.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:23:39 pm by Uzu Bash »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:51 pm »

@all tomb raiders/explorers

Was just wondering:
-Are you sneaking? If so, what is your level of ambush?
- If your game is modded, do you have [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE] token under the entity that builds outdoor tombs?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: January 30, 2016, 12:34:21 am »

I always sneak and pick the lock. These last 13 tombs, I left my companions in the entry to chat amongst themselves, certainly not being sneaky. Then I locate the sarcophagus and figure out how to lure a companion across its radius and get to the exit before I'm surrounded by animated corpses. Then I bring a companion in, mostly navigating around the traps but some are unavoidable and some pathing AI is bizarrely self-destructive. Then sprint across the room, avoiding the coffin while leading my companion into it, and getting as near to the door out as possible.

If no active mummy, we travel to the next tomb. If the mummy rises, my companion gets the curse, dies pathetically, gets reanimated, and then the mummy homes in on me with my late companion not far behind.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: January 30, 2016, 12:45:40 am »

1. So randomly I found a layer that I initially took for giants layer as I went to explore it there was just one lonely human inside after some conversation with him he knows nothing about world around him. The only rumors he knows are the one I told him. He is all naked has nothing on his person. I am suspecting him of beaing werebeast for now I recruted him am I right in my suspicion?

Almost certainly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: January 30, 2016, 03:15:17 am »

I've actually survived pretty long for my first time. Not died yet and I've attacked several bandit camps and survived a few animal attacks. My first fight with bandits nearly killed me, but since then I've gotten full iron armor pretty quickly, and that seems to really improve my survivability. Fought a giant grizzly bear. I thought that was going to be bad, but my archer took it down really quickly with a headshot. My allies seem pretty OP and steal kills a lot.

I've since moved on to the evil glacier at the south, which seems to be populated mostly with polar bear corpses. It seems like they have dramatically more durability than their normal counterparts, which makes sense. It doesn't seem like their attacks are much more powerful, however.

Unfortunately I've not been able to find any epic beasts or titans or anything like that. Part of the problem is that while I made a big world I'm kind of trapped on a southern peninsula and the only way into the rest of the world would be to cross the southern polar icecap, which I recently learned is difficult for two reasons: 1: you can't fast travel :( 2: there's a bug(?) where these wierd blocks of ice wall randomly spawn in square patterns when moving that seems to delete my companions. I might just make a new world with advanced parameters for being more simply connected.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: January 30, 2016, 03:39:39 am »

@all tomb raiders/explorers

Was just wondering:
-Are you sneaking? If so, what is your level of ambush?
- If your game is modded, do you have [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE] token under the entity that builds outdoor tombs?
Never sneak, bash door, yes on undead_candidate.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: January 30, 2016, 08:01:58 am »

In the world where I had dwarves building outdoor tombs (42.04?) I didn't have [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE]. My tomb raiders only had novice ambush, they always picked locks, and snuck in. Human tombs always had the higher instance of mummy than dwarves, but the dwarf tombs that did have mummies seemed to always have human corpses lying around. I think I had mentioned that in the adv questions thread; I believed it may have been because of civ overlap.

A thing I've been meaning to try out is to just (l)ook at all bags and chests when tomb raiding as it's a thing my current adventurer has been doing from sneak when venturing into bandit camps before deciding to attack or to leave (mainly looking for books). I sort of want to run a tomb raider who only has novice knife, swim, ambush, observer, read, and dodge, but carrying no shield. This way we'll see if thief character can pick up some valuables (hopefully gems) without disturbing any mummy, and avoid all soldier/bandit activity. On that note, it's a shame a character created like that registers as a recruit, or really any character not defined by a primary weapon skill. Unfortunately adventure mode seems to presume your main goal is to kill things rather than do things of a whatever nature. Conversations between NPCs and/or yourself have gotten better with expressions of value and emotions, but it's odd that there's still so much talk of some beast engaged in misdeeds.

For something much more marginal: in terms of gear, the majority of my adventurers have mostly preferred iron rather than steel and unadorned unimproved weapons and armor at that. Keeps and some warehouses tend to have more of the plain quality stuff. Mead hall gear is only good for giving to other NPCs. I guess it's just my personal minimalism getting projected onto my characters. I had adopted a pretty clumsy workaround for my first 42.05 character who retired. He removed all his gear and left it in the least laggy tavern, put on clothing he picked up off a bandit before retiring in town. I removed [EQUIPMENT_IMPROVEMENTS] from the entity.txt, but retired characters still return with *<+iron short sword+>*.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: January 30, 2016, 09:36:56 am »

Paid a visit to my lady former companion in her new meadhal, shared stories, danced and sang. She was still carrying all the gear I left her, but she also still had all her injuries. But when I had seen her in wereform, she looked completely restored.

Also settled into the meadhall was the famous Goblin Swordsman I had tried to recruit earlier, but he couldn't be deterred from his duty. Which was there. Where I tried to recruit him from. But here he was, wandering in search of adventure, and adventure is what I had. I stalled on inviting him while I considered which companion I should dismiss in order to recruit him. I already have four characters crawling up my ass so hard I get knocked over every time I turn around, and with a band so large, what glory can I get? If the companions menu didn't cause a riot in the ranks, I wouldn't be so hesitant.

I know I'm going to lose someone in the savage lands, far away from any potential recruits, so ultimately I decided everyone should get a chance. Let's see how long I can put up with keeping five alive and in functional leathers. Hunting for skins should be a lot more fun in savage lands.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: January 30, 2016, 03:48:39 pm »

I generated my first Medium world, and it looks very interesting and full of variety. Decided to try out an Elephant Man, and boy are these things strong. Going for an unarmed Brawler style character.

One disadvantage of being so large is that my visual stealth is horrendous, and the Bandits I've been facing run away screaming for mercy the moment they so much as glimpse me. That doesn't stop me from being able to Sneak up behind them if they're facing another direction however, which brings funny images of a gigantic Elephant Man creeping through forests and quietly sidling up behind people just staring off into space.

I encountered a vampire in a town, but I couldn't so much as get close to him without him shooting off into the distance like Usain Bolt. I ended up chasing him around Benny Hill style for the better part of two days, before I hired a Crossbowman that got a lucky shot to his leg, and finally caved his head in.
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1104