Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wondering about fps...  (Read 2285 times)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wondering about fps...
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:02:50 pm »

So, I just killed nearly 150 dwarves, of which 1/5'th were children and babies. Due to my fps getting under 20.

This was on a 6x6 map.

What should I change in my next start to make sure this won't happen again?

- max dwarves lower? how low?
- map size down? how much?
- I do not want to change temperature and such, they are very much loved.
- A river will not be missing, since I need plenty of water to make weird things.

-- Last map had nearly 150 dwarves on a 6x6 location with a river crossing the entire map. Any needed further information will be given when requested :)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering about fps...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:05:12 pm »

So, I just killed nearly 150 dwarves, of which 1/5'th were children and babies. Due to my fps getting under 20.

This was on a 6x6 map.

- A river will not be missing, since I need plenty of water to make weird things.

-- Last map had nearly 150 dwarves on a 6x6 location with a river crossing the entire map. Any needed further information will be given when requested :)

I'm sure you could do with just 100 dwarf's (or around there). You can probably find all the features you need on a 5x5 or even a 4x4 if you look hard enough/gen a enough worlds. If you want some parameters http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Elvang.

Also, be sure to manage your pet population.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »

Thanks, I was thinking around those value's also. Any idea in what kind of an increase in fps I should think about?

EDIT:
Region 10 in your link has the following; Doe the empty magma POOL fill up again?

Sand
Small Brook
Small Hidden Chasm
Hidden Pipe
Empty Magma Pool
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:10:18 pm by Nether »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:09:26 pm »

yeah... built a pet killing device (1x20 hallway with lever at the end and upright spear spikes, as an added bonus it kills children too).

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:10:40 pm »

What's your system's specs?

Edit: Pools do not refill
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:12:14 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:18:28 pm »

Pentium(R)4 CPU: 3.20GHz
1,00 Gb Ram
Ehm, does it use anything more then that?

Windows XP SP 3
.... Ehm.... Anything else necessairy??

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:20:47 pm »

Do you have a DX10-capable GPU?

Hmm... at 100 dwarfs on a 4x4 site, Maybe as high as 40 FPS?

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »

This was on a 6x6 map.

WIDE CORRIDORS!

They make a massive difference. Atomsmash your stone too. Can you pass us your old save, so we can see what you're doing? Also, I'll tell you the FPS that I get. : )

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:36:55 pm »

Having a large embark space will hurt your frame rate. 6x6 is pretty big. Try a smaller, 4x4 or even 3x3 fort.

Use wide corridors, like 3-4 tiles wide for busy traffic areas.

Put all animals into a tiny pit. No exit out of there, just a little pit, like a dried up pond works fine. They will continue to breed in there but stay confined and don't path very far.

Do not have flowing liquids. Flowing liquids will massively impact your FPS.

Digging ramps or removing stairs for tunneling out sections of the map kill your FPS while the digging is being done. No way around it, just put up with it, or instead rig the section to collapse rather than digging it out one tile at a time.

You can always turn off weather and temperature in the init file. Doing this will drastically improve framerate.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »

This was on a 6x6 map.

WIDE CORRIDORS!

They make a massive difference. Atomsmash your stone too. Can you pass us your old save, so we can see what you're doing? Also, I'll tell you the FPS that I get. : )
I am currently compressing my complete DF map, it has auto-backupsaves so you can look back as far as you want to :D
Currently my dwarves are not really happy as you might have noticed in the first post :D

Will upload and share as soon as compressed (right now at 31% ETA 5 min, then upload. It is a .7z file)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »

Also, you could try to lower your G_FPS_CAP a bit from 20. I personally use value 16, and I have noticed small increase in FPS that way.

Also, wide corridors is suggested. I usually use 7 tiles wides corridors for high traffic, 3 or 5 otherwise.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »

6*6 = 36
4*4 = 16

You lose a few tiles but the map is more than a half smaller!

I'm sure this'll help a lot, plus the hint of using wide corridors!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 03:49:43 pm »

Better yet, use an open floorplan and not have any corridors at all, except perhaps those needed for a chokepoint defense.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 04:04:52 pm »

Better yet, use an open floorplan and not have any corridors at all, except perhaps those needed for a chokepoint defense.
I like this plan. Only a wall is a necessity.

I have no DirectX10 compatible card, sadly.
It is an 256mb x600 ATI card (Hypersomething)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »

I like this plan. Only a wall is a necessity.

I have no DirectX10 compatible card, sadly.
It is an 256mb x600 ATI card (Hypersomething)

Ah, It was a longshot, but had you, you could just use the latest (40d19.2) and use shader mode, which would up your FPS drastically.
Pages: [1] 2 3