Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wondering about fps...  (Read 2269 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering about fps...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 04:37:37 pm »

I don't know if DF even uses a graphics card :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 04:49:36 pm »

40d19.2's shader mode offloads alot of the graphical calculations to the GPU.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:39 pm »

Put all animals into a tiny pit. No exit out of there, just a little pit, like a dried up pond works fine. They will continue to breed in there but stay confined and don't path very far.

about that, wouldn't cats just try to path to the nearest vermin and always fail. wouldn't that burden your CPU even more?
The reward you get for digging holes is a bigger shovel.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »

I've heard so, but also that it would not work on ATI-cards.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »

Well i didn't know you had an ATI card at first.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »

I was not attacking you :)
Well i didn't know you had an ATI card at first.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:18 pm »

No, of course not, i just wanted to clarify. To make sure nobody was confused.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

^^ Would be great though, once that all happens DF may finally speed up once again :D

Can't wait for dualcore/64bit support, although both will probably never be XD

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 05:57:27 pm »

Nah, Native 64 bit support isn't going to do much.

Multithreading, however, would kick-ass.

Still, in the end, the pathfinding code is just going to need to be improved upon, Bottom Line.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:11 pm »

Nah, Native 64 bit support isn't going to do much.

Multithreading, however, would kick-ass.

Still, in the end, the pathfinding code is just going to need to be improved upon, Bottom Line.
Heh, maybe those two can go hand in hand?

I'm going to bed, see ya all later :)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »

Likely Toady will just improve the Pathfinding code.

Once that happens, Multi-threading support will be less beneficial.
The entire thing would have to get a LOT more complex before Toady would start workin' on Multi-threading.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:00 am »

Put all animals into a tiny pit. No exit out of there, just a little pit, like a dried up pond works fine. They will continue to breed in there but stay confined and don't path very far.

about that, wouldn't cats just try to path to the nearest vermin and always fail. wouldn't that burden your CPU even more?

It doesn't matter if the pathing fails, the CPU will retry every step anyway, IIRC every step the program calculates your whole fortress. Putting the animals in a pit makes their pathfinding each step a lot simpler because there are no different paths to calculate.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 02:03:25 am »

Regarding CPUs and DF, I've recently swapped back to my Phenom based system for gaming from my Dell with a Core i7. The reason being that the Phenom-based system is running a better graphics card which just won't fit in my Dell.
I've noticed however that DF has really suffered, with it running noticeably poorer on the AMD system compared to the Intel Dell. After 40 or so dwarves, framerates regularly hitch up every so often, and the graceful lowering of framerate I got on the Intel as fortress complexity increased has a much steeper slope on the AMD.
It's frustrating, as for everything else, my AMD system outperforms my Dell completely and utterly, but DF just isn't enjoyable on it :(
Has anybody else noticed such a sharp difference between AMD and Intel?

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:18 am »

Which, I must add, displeases me with my 5870 greatly.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:32 am »

Seems fairly unlikely that he'd have a dx10-capable videocard mated to a really old CPU. :) Not impossible, just not very likely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3