Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I feel like [s]Hitler[/s] Stalin now...  (Read 9056 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: I feel like [s]Hitler[/s] Stalin now...
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »

Actually, I consider dwarves to be a giant hybrid of Scottish/Irish/German/Russian.

Violent alcoholics that build awesome stuff and kill their own people.

I'm Scottish/Irish/German, and I have a taste for vodka :\ No wonder I like this game.

Now, off to dig secret tunnels underneath a human city, drop the residents onto cave traps one by one, and slowly enslave the entire population.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 07:54:14 pm »

Actually, I consider dwarves to be a giant hybrid of Scottish/Irish/German/Russian.

I'm Scottish/Irish/German, and I have a taste for vodka :\ No wonder I like this game.

Now, off to dig secret tunnels underneath a human city, drop the residents onto cave traps one by one, and slowly enslave the entire population.
Consider your day in Dwarf Fortress made, I made some vodka!
Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:POTATO]
[TILE:233][COLOR:6:0:0]
[NAME:potato][NAME_PLURAL:potatoes]
[DRY][BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]
[VALUE:2]
[GENPOWER:1]
[DRINK:vodka:7:0:0]
[DRINKVALUE:4]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:75]
[CLUSTERSIZE:10]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFSTRING:ability to taste delicious with butter]
Put that into the matgloss_plant.txt file in the raws and you're good to go. I just copied Bloated Tubers and messed with the names and colors...and the frequency. So, enjoy!
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:37 pm »

I did that once, Too make it difficult, it was a hermit challenge too.

I'm using dig deeper though, and the orc's besieged me in the first season.
All the Humans died.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 12:39:49 am »

If you want to compare yourself to a communist dictator, use Mao Zedong/Tse-Tsung/howeveryouspellit. Stalin killed about 2 million of his own people, Mao killed about 4 million. Mao was the communist leader of China after WWII.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

Dwarf Fortress, the game where the amount of fun you're having can be tied to which infamous genocidal dictator you'd compare yourself to.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 02:00:17 am »

What's funny is, I was just thinking of starting a "Godwin's Law" thread earlier today...  Then I see this thread has gone and started itself...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 02:05:02 am »

The thing that separates DF players genociding their servants from real life leaders genociding their servants is that we have a legit reason for it. Our FPS.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 04:30:18 am »

I see stalin as a noble than a DF player, since he wasn't designating walls every where more so asking for mandates and sending hammerers on those who didn't complete them.
now you should feel like [insert any god based idol here] Aka [Iagbih] now she/he/it/them cause so many to deaths all so that fort earth doesn't drop under 230,000^10^10^10 FPS if it does then it gets so laggy.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 05:20:27 am »

we have a legit reason for it. Our FPS.

This was the reasoning behind the One Child Policy.

Edit: Actually, the sad thing is I have actually implemented something like that in game to manage my fort.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 05:28:55 am »

This was the reasoning behind the One Child Policy.
Oh God, sir, you win.
Magma would ruin it, due to its slow movement. Water is quick and just as deadly.
the above statements are partially true, entirely true and entirely false respectively, as well as alternately italicised for distinction.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 05:47:19 am »

Funny, hardly anyone ever mentions the Cambodia genocide (Or Armenian, Kosovo, hell, who knows about Darfur nowadays?). Upwards of 3 million Cambodians died but we will never know- Waged by the communist Khmer Rogue on everybody. The entire world stood by and watched because we, the US, pulled out from Vietnam and wanted nothing to do with southeast asia after that.

Oddly enough the Cambodian people were "saved" by Communist Vietnam invading Cambodia and ousting the Khmer Rouge. They hated each other.

I suppose you can joke about genocide on the internet, but having traveled to Duchau/Auschwitz and then S-21 Tuol Sleng/The Killing Fields is like a doublekick to the balls that lasts for a lifetime. I keep thinking that such visits should be mandatory education to fully understand what humans are capable of.

I posted this before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_GNsG0_jMM

Those are shots I took at the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng's genocide museum, a complex where 20000+ prisoners passed through, of which only 7 survived.

I was in grade school when I visited the Concentration camps in Europe...

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 06:28:14 am »

If you want to compare yourself to a communist dictator, use Mao Zedong/Tse-Tsung/howeveryouspellit. Stalin killed about 2 million of his own people, Mao killed about 4 million. Mao was the communist leader of China after WWII.

If you include starvation, which, lets face it, requires a 1 square room, bed, and door, Stalin could be said to have killed ~20 million. Evidenced by the fact the USSR's FPS boomed. 2.6 to 10 million in the Ukraine alone, which isn't famous for it's soap making.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 09:31:20 am »

I will admit my numbers may be wrong, all I can tell you definitively is that Mao's kill list is larger than Stalin's.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:07 am »

Genocide; It's what's for breakfast
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:08 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:44:41 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5