Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adamantine Strip Mine + Dwarven Contractors  (Read 3933 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Strip Mine + Dwarven Contractors
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

An adventurer can only carry so much before being overloaded and inevitably being killed by wildlife while attempting to travel. Stones are heavy. (And if you're going to dump the world's supply of adamantine into one site, what do you want to carry around a piece of hematite for anyway?)

Anyway, I was just playing with this a bit and it turns out that if you make a 2x2 strip mine site, you're probably going to end up using all of your gold AND lead to make enough bins to hold your adamantine strands.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:00 am »

An adventurer can only carry so much before being overloaded and inevitably being killed by wildlife while attempting to travel. Stones are heavy. (And if you're going to dump the world's supply of adamantine into one site, what do you want to carry around a piece of hematite for anyway?)

Anyway, I was just playing with this a bit and it turns out that if you make a 2x2 strip mine site, you're probably going to end up using all of your gold AND lead to make enough bins to hold your adamantine strands.
What, your adventurers too lazy to carry raw adamantine without bins? You could cheat to make you adventurer legendary. SAve you a lot of time, with super agility.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 04:00:47 am »

Could you imagine a fortress built entirely out of adamantine? the fucking sieges would be insane. Then again your prolly better off using a utility like DTIL to convert stone into adamantine.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 04:20:54 am »

What, your adventurers too lazy to carry raw adamantine without bins? You could cheat to make you adventurer legendary. SAve you a lot of time, with super agility.
better yet have the adventure build as well and save an embark better if you 'hire' a bunch of mason's and workers from other forts to join you. now only if adventures can retire anywhere like a camp utility.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 05:03:26 pm »

They're not to help move it, they're to keep them in relatively the same position when the items scatter between games/visits.  I didn't know about that feature when I tried this out; I spent almost an hour searching and STILL didn't find half of what I'd mined.

Could you imagine a fortress built entirely out of adamantine? the fucking sieges would be insane. Then again your prolly better off using a utility like DTIL to convert stone into adamantine.
The whole point of this is to do all that crazy stuff without cheating.  Besides, you can always build the ramparts ahead of time, abandon/mass suicide, move in the adamantine, reclaim with 200(+?!) dwarves, and admire the chaos.

Think of it:
The last of the dwarves are fleeing, with an army of goblins swift in pursuit.  The arrive at an ancient fortress, abandoned and forgotten by the dwarven race long ago.  Inside they find what their ancestors released the evil that follows them to gain.  They have but a short time to move in before the first of the hordes arrive.  None of them are a soldier by trade, but they've gotten plenty of practice.  They've had to.  Doom was all but inevitable, but now things seem to have changed.  Those smiths that remain are trying to learn the secrets of this ancient metal, but practice sparingly for fear of wasting it.  The mechanics are trying to reactivate all the death-traps that once protected main entrance, but they are so complex and rusted that the repairs could easily take years to finish.  There are more pressing matters now.  Everyone is starving.  Enough food for a few months at most.  The vast canals that fed the mushroom caves are blocked up, so aboveground farming must be risked.  If any humans or even elves have survived, then they may help supply us; but if they demand even a single shining strand from our precious hoard, then THEY WILL FEEL OUR AXES!!!!!
They would get more mercy if they were to ask for a ☼King's Beard Cloak☼!!!
We WILL outlast them...

WE WILL OUTLAST THEM ALL!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:05:54 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »

Think of it:
The last of the dwarves are fleeing, with an army of goblins swift in pursuit.  The arrive at an ancient fortress, abandoned and forgotten by the dwarven race long ago.  Inside they find what their ancestors released the evil that follows them to gain.  They have but a short time to move in before the first of the hordes arrive.  None of them are a soldier by trade, but they've gotten plenty of practice.  They've had to.  Doom was all but inevitable, but now things seem to have changed.  Those smiths that remain are trying to learn the secrets of this ancient metal, but practice sparingly for fear of wasting it.  The mechanics are trying to reactivate all the death-traps that once protected main entrance, but they are so complex and rusted that the repairs could easily take years to finish.  There are more pressing matters now.  Everyone is starving.  Enough food for a few months at most.  The vast canals that fed the mushroom caves are blocked up, so aboveground farming must be risked.  If any humans or even elves have survived, then they may help supply us; but if they demand even a single shining strand from our precious hoard, then THEY WILL FEEL OUR AXES!!!!!
They would get more mercy if they were to ask for a ☼King's Beard Cloak☼!!!
We WILL outlast them...

WE WILL OUTLAST THEM ALL!!!!!!!

that is fucking epic

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 05:31:47 pm »

convert stone into adamantine.
you can do that?! :o
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 05:51:03 pm »

I once built a tower out of silver. I embarked, abandoned and reclaimed with as many silver bars as I could get, then turned metalsmithing on for my 70+ reclaim dwarves and built an epic dwarven tower out of pure silver. Then I reclaimed with all the necessities for running a fort.

Unfortunately, I permanently abandoned the fort later because of the bug that keeps magma workshops from working.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 06:26:09 pm »

convert stone into adamantine.
you can do that?! :o
yah, but that's cheating.  You just put a reaction in the raws if you want to do it, though.

better yet have the adventure build as well and save an embark better if you 'hire' a bunch of mason's and workers from other forts to join you. now only if adventures can retire anywhere like a camp utility.
I actually did that with my fort: I retired at a goblin tower than embarked there.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 06:38:25 pm »

I would turn all the useless pockets of stone into adamantine instead of trying to find that 2% chance for sand/water/magma/bottomless pit/chasm/HFS. It got boring though cause part of the fun is the clowns that boil out.
Pages: 1 [2]