Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism  (Read 10063 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2010, 03:52:14 pm »

I'm putting my foot down here.

This is way off-topic and I'll explain myself to assimilateur over PM. That's all.

ON TOPIC: what's so bad about nobles being mayor anyway? That way the useful dwarves can walk around being useful.
Plus. Mayors are voted into office based on numerous things, among these consoler and pacifier. Skills that not everyone can gain but they are VITAL if your fort goes into a tantrum spiral.

Anyone who is voted mayor is therefore the best man for the job, and if the nobles lack the proper personality trait they won't get to be mayor at all... probably.

if you still have a problem with it because you hate the nobles (talk about nepotism ;)) just use magma.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2010, 03:54:36 pm »

Seriously, calm down and get back to talking about keeping noble children from becoming mayor.

Needs more hammerings.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2010, 03:55:01 pm »

I think the concern is that they'll make idiotic mandates like their family.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »

About using magma, I guess that's the easiest way out. I can totally get behind the reasoning for why people don't want a noble elected mayor. Who would you vote for, a highly-skilled, hard worker, or a socialite?

From a power-gaming perspective, having a noble mayor obviously has its advantages, namely that mayoral duties won't take up the time of someone who's more valuable to you otherwise, as has been said by Aspgren.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

Seriously, I wish I could unsubscribe from this.

We have a subscription option? .. that's the "notify" button right?

I clicked it. It asked me if I was sure that I wanted notifications. I said yes. .. and then I clicked it again. "are you sure you want to disable notifications?" heck yes! was just trying.

So that's your answer. I think.

Thanks, but I meant the "Show new replies to your posts" page.  There's no way to remove this thread from that list now that I've posted here.  I should probably just use the "Notify" function instead, and sometimes I do.

I'm done here too, I don't want to postpone the next version by attracting His attention (:

On topic: Nobles are lousy amirite?  Sorry I've got nothing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:26 pm »

Everyone does that. These are dwarves, remember?

Once you elect Urist McPeasant he'll be like "I sure could use some giant desert scorpion chitin greaves right about now!"
Urist McMother: "son? .. it's .. it's the middle of the night and we live in a glacier"
Urist McPeasant: "THREE PAIRS of them"
Urist McMother: "... but it's impossible!"
Urist McPeasant: "Hammerer ... HAMMER MY MOTHER!"
Urist McHammerer: "JAWOHL!"
I have an art blog now.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:49 pm »

Everyone does that. These are dwarves, remember?

Once you elect Urist McPeasant he'll be like "I sure could use some giant desert scorpion greaves right about now!"
Urist McMother: "son? .. it's .. it's the middle of the night and we live in a glacier"
Urist McPeasant: "THREE PAIRS of them"
Urist McMother: "... but it's impossible!"
Urist McPeasant: "Hammerer ... HAMMER MY MOTHER!"
Urist McHammerer: "JAWOHL!"
...Yeah, good point.

So, we either need magma or dwarves who can use logic.

I vote magma.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »

I vote dwarves who use magma-logic!
Nom nom nom

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2010, 04:47:29 pm »

So, we either need magma or dwarves who can use logic.

I vote magma.
I vote dwarves who use magma-logic!

Someone sig that post! It must be preserved! At the least, it should be moved to Chedarius's sig page.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:55 pm »

Anyone who is voted mayor is therefore the best man for the job,

I think it's based more on how many friends, though consoler and pacifier help with that. It's probably why bed-ridden cripples have a habit of being a mayor, since they apparently befriend every poor bastard who comes to bring them food, water, and the latest issue of BeardBabes Monthly(the magazine that gives even an elf wood!) and to change their bedpan. And no, bed-ridden cripples do NOT make a good mayor.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »

Anyone who is voted mayor is therefore the best man for the job,

I think it's based more on how many friends, though consoler and pacifier help with that. It's probably why bed-ridden cripples have a habit of being a mayor, since they apparently befriend every poor bastard who comes to bring them food, water, and the latest issue of BeardBabes Monthly(the magazine that gives even an elf wood!) and to change their bedpan. And no, bed-ridden cripples do NOT make a good mayor.

No .. I checked some things not too long ago. The mayor seems to be elected due to the combined "points" of his relative skills.

I haven't noticed crippled dwarves making any new friends. One who lost his hand and was bedridden with phantom pains for 10 years hadn't made a single new acquaintance. .. of course this might be a freak occurrence, I don't know.
but if they're healthy enough to make friends they should be healthy enough to conduct meetings. So that'd make them pretty darn good mayors actually.  :) Since they can't get out of bed to occupy themselves with manual labor they always have time to meet with those in need!

(I have yet to have a single cripple being voted mayor)
I have an art blog now.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »

I don't think I've ever had an amputee survive, so I have to ask this: what's the job status of a permanently bedridden dwarf? Is it the same as a recovering one's status, namely resting? If that's the case, it would make holding meetings, or doing any other work for that matter (and let's not forget that even partying is a job in dwarven terms), problematic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:15:50 pm by assimilateur »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2010, 09:21:08 pm »

you know, I've had bed-ridden dwarves drag themselves out of bed for a party before, then head back to bed afterward...  Maybe dwarf parties are JUST THAT GOOD!
Nom nom nom

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2010, 11:50:13 pm »

Keep in mind that dwarves have to leave a party to find booze or food.  And they mate through subatomic spores, so that's out, too.

I'm guessing that high-level dwarven comedians just tell some really AWESOME jokes at parties?

Edit: "Why did the elf cross the road?  To try to outrun the magma AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

aaaahhhh.  It's funny because he's dead."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 05:27:31 am »

I think people naturally reject the idea of the high-born, rich ignoramus who has done nothing for the fort being ELECTED by majority vote over an actual useful, worthy dwarf.  And now it seems that there is no real election, and only skills like liar and flatterer decide who will rule the fort.

Kind of like it was in 2000 I guess...   ;)

I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9