Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Worlds most stupid weapons.  (Read 14190 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Worlds most stupid weapons.
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:54:46 pm »

I present the Davy Crockett. A nuclear morter gun.

http://www.pbase.com/ralf/image/31442384

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/news/16096

I'd like to highlight this paragraph.
"There were, however, problems in the transition from theory to practice. The atomic mortar was generally conceded to be "very inaccurate." Its range was at times limited to 2000 meters, while the bursting range of its warhead was 2,500 meters. "That didn't make the crew very happy," O'Brien noted. Most unsettling of all, he said, was that it put atomic bombs in the hands of hundreds of teenaged draftees. "A crew of four guys running around on the battlefield could initiate World War III." "

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds most stupid weapons.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »

I like this quote much more:

Also in the collection, but not yet displayed, are a pair of earmuffs made by an ex-GI for his daughter out of pieces of Eva Braun's mink bedspread.

"We don't want to be known as a Nazi junk museum," O'Brien told us, explaining his hesitancy to display the earmuffs. But we feel that any place brave enough to display an atomic mortar will come around on the mink 'muffs as well. [07/22/2007]

Earmuffs!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:36:55 pm »

Brilliant.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »

well, the idea wasn't bad, it only had severe technical issues
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:38:03 pm »

I think that radiation is, by itself, a very bad idea already.

This is not DF, turning a 2 and a half kilometer area into nuclear-powered Mordor is not acceptable.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:27:06 pm »

I think that radiation is, by itself, a very bad idea already.

This is not DF, turning a 2 and a half kilometer area into nuclear-powered Mordor is not acceptable.

If its already a all out nuclear war this isn't going to make much of a difference, if I remember correctly half the point was to create a area too radioactive for soviet troops to cross for a few days. Though all the friendly soldiers that receive a lethal dose of radiation might disagree.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:08:00 pm »

And in exchange for a tactical advantage of highly debatable necessity, we lose perfectly good land that people might need several decades after the war is even over.  Right, smart :P

I'm with the OP on this one.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:12:16 pm »

And even if it worked properly, you'd still be having fumbling soldiers hauling around nuclear armaments and loading them into mortars. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »

Reminds me of when I went to the Fort Sill artillery museum.  They have the genuine Upshot Knothole cannon on display.  A soldier stationed on base saw me and my dad poking around it, and he started talking about how awesome a cannon that shoots nukes is, and that it was meant for fighting a contingency war on American soil.  My dad pointed out that if you're throwing nukes at a target six miles away, you've already lost.

He didn't think it was as funny as we did.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:24:14 pm »

They're holding out for a miracle, obviously.  I call it the Grind Gondor's Army to Dust Against the Black Gate and Hope Frodo Makes It Gambit
Shoes...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »

Reminds me of when I went to the Fort Sill artillery museum.  They have the genuine Upshot Knothole cannon on display.  A soldier stationed on base saw me and my dad poking around it, and he started talking about how awesome a cannon that shoots nukes is, and that it was meant for fighting a contingency war on American soil.  My dad pointed out that if you're throwing nukes at a target six miles away, you've already lost.
What kind of soldier thinks using nukes on US soil is awesome?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »

A completely stupid one.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:51 pm »

The main idea behind nukes is that you don't have to fire them. If you start a nuclear war, you end up with Mutually Assured Destruction (and possibly global-scale destruction from nuclear winter), which is a very good reason not to start a nuclear war (unless your an Islamic extremist, since they believe that if they kill everything else they get to go to heaven).

A completely stupid one.

A dwarven one. :P
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 05:32:31 pm »

I guess that the deployed nukes were, ultimately, in the control of the pilot of the plane.  What would've happened if the pilot of the plane had seconds thoughts, didn't want to commit an act of mass murder and just dropped the bomb somewhere else?  I guess they'd be veteran pilots, but it'd still be quite some task to have 100,000 deaths directly attributable to you...

Although putting a nuke in the hands of a few draftees perhaps wouldn't be a great idea.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 05:33:00 pm »

Anyway though yes it would suck to use these weapons but by cold war standards it was one of the better ideas.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8