Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: wait, what?  (Read 2613 times)

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
wait, what?
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:28:54 am »

Ok, so my new fort just had its first ambush and my 2 fisherdudes had to flee, realising they had no escape I drafted them as wrestlers to at least do a little damage.

Unfortunatly for one he got attacked by a zombie cougar as my other dwarf ran into the ambush alone.

5 mins later I come to check on the ambush which is hanging outside my gates yet I still haven't got the second death message and when I come to my wrestler dorf he is still fighting the zombie cougar and although he was outmatched in every single way he was still going strong using a hit and run technique with his broken hand to attack.

8 mins later I come back to find him still doing it with no extra wounds, now this suprised me, he had broken the cougars upper and lower body, just as I came he finished it off.

Have you any underskilled dwarves doing anything awesome?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wait, what?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 05:17:48 am »

Technically unskilled...  I once had a duchess kill four goblins that somehow managed to get loose in her quarters while she was playing with her levers.  But, she was incredibly strong, quick, and tough as a result of strong social skills resulting from being followed around by twelve children at all times.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:23:52 am »

I had a Novice Miner kill a dragon in one hit. Never did figure out how that came about; I think an elven caravan guard had managed to wound it a little (and I must say the way she stood her ground and loosed shaft after ineffectual shaft until it roasted her alive, buying time for the merchants to flee, increased my respect for the elves considerably) and the site of the battle was obscured by smoke from a torched workshop  so it might have lit itself on fire.

Still, quite impressive even with a hefty element of luck.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:55:56 am »

I had a Novice Miner kill a dragon in one hit. Never did figure out how that came about; I think an elven caravan guard had managed to wound it a little (and I must say the way she stood her ground and loosed shaft after ineffectual shaft until it roasted her alive, buying time for the merchants to flee, increased my respect for the elves considerably) and the site of the battle was obscured by smoke from a torched workshop  so it might have lit itself on fire.

Still, quite impressive even with a hefty element of luck.
  Wow, that's some pretty good luck. There can be critical hits that can kill even megabeasts in one hit, and the chances increase as the dwarf, human, or elf gets more skilled and the megabeast (Or other beast) gets weaker, but you can still do it with someone unexperienced, like in your case with that Novice Miner.

For me, I embarked on an area with an open chasm, and I didn't think much of it until I get a notice that my miner is interrupted by an antman. I zoom to my miner, and he is literally surrounded by over 10 Antmen and Ratmen, and already has a few hurt parts on him. I immediately draft him into the military in desperate hope that he doesn't die, and he amazes me. He enters a martial trance two or three seconds into the fight, and is practically swinging his pick around like a tornado. There were about 14 monsters attacking him, and only 2 survived. Morul the Miner just got promoted. 
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:21:56 am »

^ Was he actually called Morul?

Epic.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:56:41 am »

one of my marks dwarves whipped a dragon to death with the butt of her crossbow.

the only thing she lost was the lower part of her left arm.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 11:23:18 am »

My very first dragon in DF got a heart from the second bolt shot it's way.  It was so very anticlimactic. :-[

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:25:20 am »

You call that anticlimactic? Imagine having a titan come your way just to pass out near the border of the map because of a toa it lost 100 years ago.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:31:07 pm »

just as I came he finished it off.

I lol'd.

But combat as well as many other aspects of DF has a huge factor of randomness to it, so don't be too surprised if a stray bolt from your archery rage kills a titan.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 12:52:44 pm »

You call that anticlimactic? Imagine having a titan come your way just to pass out near the border of the map because of a toa it lost 100 years ago.
That happened to me with a dragon. She kept waking up, walking a few steps, and then falling unconscious again. I didn't have cage traps in front of my gates at the time, so I built some cage traps before she got there - but to no avail, because she was ambushed by goblins when she was halfway there, and they eventually managed to kill her (although it took them ages.) She did manage to rip one of their heads off and breathe some fire first, though.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

^ Was he actually called Morul?

Epic.
Morul Regcerol. "Morul Glovedsenses."
But what's so special about that name?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 01:53:08 pm »

Glovedsenses is surprisingly fitting. Morul is the most interesting dwarf in the world, dunno if there's anything more to the name though.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:00:23 pm »

His senses are gloved?
Also, I remember that Morul topic.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:03:47 pm by Repulsion »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:15 pm »

You'd have to be pretty oblivious to end up in the midst of 10 ratmen.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 02:37:56 pm »

Don't forget the Antmen. But you have to be pretty badass to kill all of them, also.
Pages: [1] 2