Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)  (Read 149771 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2010, 04:29:15 pm »

I will tell you why you haven't become a Mountainhome yet.  The King of the Dwarves is looking at his trade surplus from working with you, and doing the math:

(A) Emigrate to Undergrotto, surround myself with opulent wealth, and inform Ilem II that the King will take over the massive responsibility of managing this epic fortress from now on,

or

(B) Keep the whole thing a secret, and let the Dwarves back home chalk the kingdom's success (and the King's unprecedented wealth and popularity!) to the King's own laid-back management style and savvy foreign relations.

If the Duke doesn't show up soon, you guys ought to secede!  (Seriously: this is possibly the most epic fortress I have ever seen.  Creations like this are why sandbox games are so amazing.  Great work!)
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2010, 04:39:45 pm »

I have been inspired by this to attempt my own project of an underground cavernous lake, fed by waterfalls, on which my settlement is built. From the centre of the lake will rise an enormous stone goblet filled with magma.

However, I shall wait until the new version to start work.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2010, 06:47:37 pm »

I always tried to make waterfall projects but it never worked due to the horrible FPS hit that comes from it.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »

I diverted my river into a chasm once, then built my fort around the waterfall, the river was also the cut off point for seiges so occasionally the water would run red with blood, very dwarf-like.
Nom nom nom

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2010, 08:41:22 pm »

This looks pretty cool in Khazad.  I took a couple of screenshots if anyone is interested.

World Overview
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the other side

With the terrain removed, you can really see the size of the grotto

Overhead shot of the grotto

The entrance ramp

Overhead, good shot of the ship

One more shot of the grotto

The corkscrew thing

The hermit's hut

I definitely encourage people to check this out in their visualizer of choice, the screen caps don't do it justice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:50 pm »

This is truly a thing of beauty. Kudos.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:46 pm »

Wow, thanks for taking those screenshots jfsh! I especially like the third one, I hadn't realized its scope before with the mountain in the way! I might go stick a few of those in the tour :D

ed- In response to the below, there are some screenies up of the next version's caves - they won't be more than maybe 2-3z high, so don't get your hopes up :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:56:55 pm by Retro »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2010, 09:51:42 pm »

Fuck if only the game could generate mountain homes that looked like that. I want to make a fortress where i hollow out the entire area underground and have a giant hole so sunlight could shine down--who knows maybe the new underground features will make fortresses like this for us.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:00 pm »

Wow, thanks for taking those screenshots jfsh! I especially like the third one, I hadn't realized its scope before with the mountain in the way! I might go stick a few of those in the tour :D

Cool, glad you liked them.  Feel free. :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2010, 02:15:54 pm »

ed- In response to the below, there are some screenies up of the next version's caves - they won't be more than maybe 2-3z high, so don't get your hopes up :P
I thought it was going to be a part of the worldgen or init options? Or does that refer to how far below the surface the caves start, with the shallow caves repeating for as many layers as the map allows?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:18 pm »

I do think it would be wonderful if we could upload our own fully functional forts into a repository for this sort of thing, and then download forts into a folder for potential pre-generated mountainhomes that could be randomly selected at worldgen.

Of course, I somehow think that maybe this fort would cause most CPUs to spontaniously combust upon having to integrate it into a world.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Holy shit...

Just... holy shit.

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:16 pm »

How in Armoks name is this on the third page. Retro this is the single coolest thing I've seen done in this game. You did a great job of adding a bunch of elements together to create something greater then it's parts. The more I read your post the more impressed I was. You've given me a lot of ideas and demonstrated quite well that multi-Z level rooms have a great purpose, looking f'ing awesome! I think the prison is one of my favorite parts, I liked how you set the cells up so the prisoners could live well. I think it's more lavish then the rooms I make for early nobles.

Your fort is so awesome I feel like an idiot because it was made in the same game as my 1Z left-to-right symmetrical crap forts. I can't imagine what you could do next after this wonder. I think the Wiki needs a "Seven Wonders of Armok" page and this should be at the top.

Also thanks for introducing me to Stonesense, I didn't know there was a visualizer like that available.

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2010, 12:22:26 pm »

Utterly amazing.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2010, 01:30:54 pm »

You are a god.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11