Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toady's Grand Fortunes  (Read 3598 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady's Grand Fortunes
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:41 am »

Before reading note that all information I have listed here is already public information, I've only grouped it and put together here.

I've been seeing a lot of accusations lately thrown about toady's grand fortunes of donations, so I decided to get some rough figures together for people to think about.
Hopefully this will clear some things up for those people.

I tallied last years numbers from the announcements, you might note that febuary last year was roughly the same as this one as well,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll do that now actually, for a decent bacholer pad if I can find it, but if someone actually knows his actual rent disregard this.
Also does he have a car? I don't so I save bundles already there.

Looking at rents in his area here http://www.rentals.com/Washington/Bremerton-Silverdale/
I have come to a rough figure of 825$ a month for renting a fairly modest but comfortable place. (But what if he has a mortgage?)

$32516.44
-$9900.00
$22616.44
Anyone from the area have a rough grocery bill?
Insurance for the home?
Does he have any medications or health issues?
How much furniture does scamps tear up on him?
Car Insurance (if he has a car, and if not, bus pass or taxi fees?)
Does he travel anywhere out of town?
What does toady do for fun, and how much does it cost him?
Old loans to pay off?
How much can he put away for a rainy day?
How much can he put away for retirement?

If you factor that all in, money can disappear very fast.
I dont need to worry about the majority of those expenses, which is why I can afford living on $10800, and why other young people like me in college, can afford to do so.
Considering how talented he is, how much of a following he has, and all those other factors, he could be working for some big game company as a programmer making around $80000 more than the $32500 quite easily.

Anyone who thinks he is tossing our money around and not giving anything back to us is simply a fool.

I'm going to make a donation now myself, and it will be the best 20 dollars I have ever spent in my life.

Edit: Locking the topic as it seems to be giving nothing but grief even though my intentions were to help toady get donations in some of the lesser donation months, and show some of the possible donators who are not in the real world yet what it takes for a person to live.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:45:52 pm by NRN_R_Sumo1 »
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady's Grand Fortunes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:05:20 am »

Toady One has Scamps.

That makes all calculations fail.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:53:37 am »

Do you really want the bright optimizers of these fine forums to apply their ideas to Toady? Next thing you know we'll look him in his workshop and throw down *C++ books* there from above, or make him throw his trash into the nearest magma reservoir.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:01:56 am »

Not that I don't appreciate what you're trying to do with this thread, but this 'let's see how deeply we can delve into Toady's life and financial situation' thing is a bit uncomfortable, imo. Perhaps it should be stated that Toady appreciates however much you choose to donate and leave it at that?

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:05:04 am »

Considering how talented he is, how much of a following he has, and all those other factors, he could be working for some big game company as a programmer making around $80000 more than the $32500 quite easily.
Basically this. He could walk in to just about any well-off studio/publisher, say "lolhi", and get a contract at 200k/year with full benefits and profit sharing, along with a 10 person team

/just estimation/guesswork.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:05:42 am »

Are you the same NRN_R_SUMO from Warcraft 3's Clan SWWT?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 03:30:47 am »

Not that I don't appreciate what you're trying to do with this thread, but this 'let's see how deeply we can delve into Toady's life and financial situation' thing is a bit uncomfortable, imo. Perhaps it should be stated that Toady appreciates however much you choose to donate and leave it at that?
totally agree with that.
Actually, i would say it's not only "uncomfortable" but even downright rude.  :-\

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:39 am »

I think the OP did it with good intentions, he wanted to make people aware that we should be more thankful or something along those lines.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:01:12 pm »

A while ago,, Toady said something along the lines of, if the donations stop coming I am financially secure for at least a year. He mentioned that fact that he once was a lecture at a college and due to donations, he never need to use most of the money he made from the lecturing position. He quit it to focus on DF more I believe. This might be highly inaccurate but there was a thread once about it.

ArPharazon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:51:31 pm »

Basically this. He could walk in to just about any well-off studio/publisher, say "lolhi", and get a contract at 200k/year with full benefits and profit sharing, along with a 10 person team

/just estimation/guesswork.

So he can do that for a year, save money, then quit and live off that for 10 years, possibly more if he invests it properly? Huh.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:38 pm »

Jobs dont work like that. Contracts for high level jobs are quite common. Even if he just hires out as an independent developer for some company (more common then you may think) they usually have you sign several forms and contracts for YEARS.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:06:38 pm »

Are you the same NRN_R_SUMO from Warcraft 3's Clan SWWT?
Yes. Hi Grake. :B

Nomalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:24 pm »

I registered to just ask this one question? OP, how the hell do you live on only a hundred dollars a month for food. Basic college diet of Top Ramen and Kraft mac and cheese?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:05:06 pm »

I registered to just ask this one question? OP, how the hell do you live on only a hundred dollars a month for food. Basic college diet of Top Ramen and Kraft mac and cheese?
Not quite, I eat a little healthier than that.

packs of Hot dogs, Spaghetti with butter and parlsey or Tomato Sauce, Oats mixed with white sugar and a few spices, and I don't drink milk much, and don't use as much energy as a fitness instructor might use being a media student.

Mind you I also said I spend 100 on groceries but I do dip into my 250 misc money for some foods to treat myself as well, like if I was to eat out or something, since I am often at the school its my only realistic option for lunch on days where I am feeling too hungry to wait till I get home. Besides, 3.25 isnt that bad for a large slice of pizza ;)

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »

I fail to see how this is any of our business...I'm finding it very intruding.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?
Pages: [1] 2