Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: BYOR: Choices Day 4 (*insert obligitary question about my identity here*)  (Read 29372 times)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR: Choices (signups end thursday morning)
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2010, 11:55:46 pm »

Alright.  Last call for signups.  Declare your wish to join by Thursday or that's it.

Meanwhile, I'll make the final edits needed then get everything started.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:34 am »

I am in.

Role PM coming soon.

Later edit (in place of double post):

What timezone are you using as 'standard'?  I'm GMT+2, but would like to be able to calculate the deadlines and such.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:25:59 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 10:35:45 am »

"Meanwhile, in a nearby swordfish..." would make a great quirk, Dak.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2010, 11:24:28 am »

I am in.

Role PM coming soon.

Later edit (in place of double post):

What timezone are you using as 'standard'?  I'm GMT+2, but would like to be able to calculate the deadlines and such.

All dak's other games use EST, and I don't see any reason for this one to be different.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 01:43:55 pm »

Yes. Yes, it would.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 02:00:04 pm »

Yes. Yes, it would.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »

I do use EST.  However, if you do have a very different time zone that can cause issues with being here every day and/or just having a problem with the deadline in general then I'll try to compensate.

Notes:

With DreamThorn coming in, the signups are now closed as are the requests for quirks and role changes.  The setup and flavoring will be in asap: I'm happy to report that 95% of the work is already done.

Meanwhile, I can leave you with a very nice bit of evil to talk about:

Below are the rules that made it in, along with what they actually DO.  As you'll see, you guys have made this into one very ....interesting.. game. 

Note that this is NOT a bastard mod.  As such I will happily help to make sure everything here is made VERY *VERY* clear. 

Sidenote: 'lean' does not mean ALL roles.
Do You See What I See?:
- Roles will lean towards what you see (tracking, watching, 'seeing through other people's eyes, ext.).

IT'S A TRAP!   
- Flavor text has players as their opposite gender (compared to the player, not your role)

Leafsnail talks like this, desu    
- Roles may lean towards SLIGHT post requirements (nothing like "can only post 10 times a day" or other such mess)

Only the Good Die Young   
- Roles will lean towards performing negative but nonlethal things to other players

At least things couldn't get any worse   
- Roles are more likely to weaken in some form as time goes on (i.e. won't work as often, or have a set limit of use like how JOATs work)

Complete Bullshit   
- Something about your role is not true.

Damn you, logic.    
- Host is not required to fit your powers with your role

Dead Man Walking   

- When a lynch occurs, the the condemned is not instantly killed.  Instead, during the following night, the condemned may PM those that voted for them for a final plea, though the voters may NOT speak back.  The voters are then allowed that same night to PM the host if they wish to remove their vote.  In the morning, a new vote count is made and, if the condemned no longer has the majority then they are set free (no one is lynched).  Note that the roleflip will happen only after the actual lynch occurs AND the condemned cannot perform actions during the night, though they may be targeted.

I'm Feeling Lucky!   
- Roles will utilize RTD rules in some aspect of their role (though not the ENTIRE role).

- QUICKY explanation: Roll To Dodge means that the results of the action is determined by a die toss.  The nature in how this fits your role will be explained in your role PMs.

It's Super Effective!   
- Players will receive double votes from some players, and half a vote from others.  Determined by element. 

Now you're thinking with Portals   

- All players receive an Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device.  With this you can create up to two portals to other players: portals can be added and moved at any time and is a free action.  Portals remain open until closed, moved, or the target cannot be targetted (i.e. death).  You also cannot aim one at someone who's condemned.  You cannot open two portals to the same person. Actions are sent through a portal to the other player.  An action done against you can be redirected if you aim one portal at the sender and another portal at another player.  An action can redirect multiple times if the portals are set up properly.  If a 'loop' is created, the action trapped inside will spin at high velocity then jump out suddenly, hitting one of the people in the loop at random (the original person CANNOT be hit this way)

Pen is Mightier than the Sword   
- You are not allowed to choose a target naturally.  Instead, you are given a set of words.  Your available targets for the night will be either:

1. Anyone who has said one of those words, or
2. The person before and after any post you make containing one of those words.

Quotes of the word count.  Note that this doesn't determine who you WILL target.. just who you CAN target that night.

Trust Me, I'm a Doctor...   
- Doctors are not ordinary doctors.  Slightly higher percentage chance of a 'doctor' role.  CAN involve time travel

(last part struck out because of another rule that does the same thing)

Holy shit this is insane!   
- The need for crazigonutz overwhelms the need for balance.  Means that although I have not rigged the game, if it was a difference between perfect balance and something that sounded cool, I went for the Cool.  Be warned.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST   
- One person is the Mod.  The mod, each day, decides a posting voliation that must be followed (i.e. No saying the word 'ebonezer').  The violation cannot overly stifle communication (no 'no vowels' roles, for example) and the actual vote process cannot be affected (i.e. if they ban the name "Dakarian" you can still write that name in red for your vote, but ONLY then).  Breaking this violation results in a tempban, which means the person cannot perform actions and cannot vote.  The mod CAN be banned for his own violation.  If the mod dies, the rule ends.

We need a slogan!   
- Each day, a slogan must be decided upon by the town along with their lynch.  That slogan becomes the rule for the next day.  The host determines the interpretation of the slogan. 

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey... Stuff    
- Time travel!  All roles have time traveling aspects to them.

Xanatos Roulette    
- BIG one so listen up!

-- Each person will be given the first of three goals, inspired by a TV Trope they receive.  When completing that goal, they receive their second, then third.  If someone completes all three of their goals, they have achieved a successful Xanatos Roulette and have won.   Yes, only THAT person wins: all else looses. 

- Note that the normal win conditions are also in effect (town win, scum win, ext.) and if one of those win conditions occurs then the game ends with that team winning naturally.  However, if someone achieves their Xanatos Goals before then they trump all others.  If a team win and a Roulette win occur at the same time, the Roulette win will take priority.

- Note that the goals are not the simple "kill Buddy, Kill Buddy 2.." style.  Note that it's very easy for a goal to be made impossible (i.e. If you need to give someone a virus and that person died beforehand, you can't really give them anything).  Also note that the goal MUST be done in proper sequence (if Goal 2 = Litia dies, but Litia dies while you are still working on Goal 1.. you won't be able to succeed unless you somehow rekill them :P).  It's also perfectly fine to ignore the Xanatos Goals and just aim for the team goal as you wish. 

Welcome to fucking Boatmurdered   (Biggest one)

- Along with the regular mafia game, the players must also run a dwarf fort.  Details will come in another post (OMG this rule requires it's own post!?) but the KISS of it: The fort has a full set of buildings with magma power (magma forge, kitchen, Depot, ext.).  Each player has a beginning profession and can learn others as they practice in it.  Each Dwarf Season will be 24 hours, though only 2 seasons can occur in each game day.  During each season, you may decide what major action you will do (i.e. Mine, Make a Sword, Farm).  Things are made more simple here, but food/drink will still need to be worried about.  Also Elephants.. Elephants WILL be an issue.  Elephants can kill if you aren't prepared.  Your goal is to become prepared.. or at least last long enough to finish the game.  Of course, the Elephants can finish it for you, but you may not want to do that, since THIS is the way that Everyone Can Lose.

And that's what you have to 'look forward' to.  Questions, discussion, ext, can be offered.  Note that no one has their PM yet and the details to Boatmurdered will be coming shortly (note, if you're worried about item quality and what to do about winter, you're thinking too hard :P).  Otherwise, ask away.

(hides from the freakouts and complaints)
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR: Choices (Game setting up)
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »

Oh, one last thing:

This will be my final Mafia game for a while.  Starting mid April, I will be doing two jobs at once, making ANY game playing impossible.  It's not permanent, but it will be disruptive while it's here.

As such, I want to make this one a biggy.
I KNEW IT!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »

=D

Should be fun to watch. Portals will probably be frustrating to players, as will time travel. Does Pen is Mightier Than the Sword make targeting even more random or is it just that you get to pick someone who said a certain word? (That quirk should hopefully encourage people to read the game more carefully) Will "elements" for It's Super Effective! be arbitrarily assigned or related to roles? Are rules from USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST announced at the start of the day or are they secret?

Get Spoiled Spectating up whenever you can. Preferably before Day 3. ::)
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2010, 03:02:50 pm »

To ask about specifics: are we totally screwed if we're not super-familiar with DF?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »

Gender flip... eh.  My roles are always female anyway.  Portals seems to mean night actions will be near random... but time travelling should be fun ;D.  Xanatossing should be pretty cool too.

And if I feel I am about to lose, yes, I would go for screwing everyone else over with elephants.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »

This reminds me of TACTICUS...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2010, 03:20:52 pm »

=D

Should be fun to watch. Portals will probably be frustrating to players, as will time travel. Does Pen is Mightier Than the Sword make targeting even more random or is it just that you get to pick someone who said a certain word? (That quirk should hopefully encourage people to read the game more carefully) Will "elements" for It's Super Effective! be arbitrarily assigned or related to roles? Are rules from USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST announced at the start of the day or are they secret?

Get Spoiled Spectating up whenever you can. Preferably before Day 3. ::)

On Pen is Mightier:  It'll be player choice.  Just that you'll be limited based on those words.  You get some control over this since you can trigger the word as often as you wish and people that quote you with the word will be targetable as well.  That does mean that the more chatty folks can slip the word in more often while folks that don't talk at all get almost no targets. 

Elements:  Loosely touched by role, but HEAVILY based on balanced and greatly helped by the fact that I don't even HAVE to fit the element to the role thanks to one of the rules. 

lastly: the Banned rule will be stated at the start of the day.  There's already 5000 things to worry about that you can see without a nasty thing like that biting at you from behind.

@Vector

You may need some help from the others a little: I can fully see one or two DF vets coming in to lead.  The good thing is that Boatmurdered is one of those rules that really requires EVERYONE to work together, at least early on.  If you want to go screwing over everyone, I recommend using Xanatos.  Trying to rig up Boatmurdered will just get everyone killed.

The good thing is that I removed many of the more complicated aspects of the game.  Farming is really boiled down to this: Farmer uses a 'bag of seed' to make a 'barrel of plants', cook 'cooks 1 day of food'.. that's it.  The cuter strategies will probably be organized by the leaders.  To be honest, I see this game starting without a RVS and, instead, a "get the fort running" stage with the hunting going on a little afterwards (or in the middle)
I KNEW IT!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2010, 03:32:40 pm »

Holy shit, this is insane.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41:15 pm »

I see this game starting with discussing what slogan to have, myself.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30