Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burn the World  (Read 1061 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Burn the World
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

In my current fortress, a Fire Imp killed a cat, which led to everyone gathering the non-lit cat. During the incident, the Fire Imp appeared again and killed another cat, this time igniting it first and setting fire to the forest. My Captain killed the Imp and then the cat was left in the pyre. I anticipated what would happen next, so I told all my dwarves to stay indoors while the rest of the world burned, I even told them to not gather any refuse at all and forbid everything on fire. This did not happen, however.

About 10 dwarves in my fortress ran into the fire and sat there after grabbing the burning cat chunks. They caught fire and left back to the fortress to my meeting area where  I placed 4 wells (Built because of the extreme log jam that occurred when every dwarf wanted a drink at one time), and they dropped the cat chunks for all to see Now I'm watching as all the dwarves catch fire and die from smoke inhalation. And now there's an ambush, and all the surviving dwarves ran out to go give them a hug.

Why do they ignore water entirely, and why did they ignore all orders to stay indoors and not gather the refuse? This is the exact same thing that led to the deaths of one of my previous fortresses, except that one was to the hands of a Giant.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Burn the World
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:09:19 pm »

dwarves don't understand fire, Armok and the giant toad didn't program it into their minds
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »

Edit: WARNING! HUGELY OFFENSIVE ANALOGY! IF YOU THINK IT'S OFFENSIVE, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In hindsight I think that the analogy might be a tad offensive. It's going to be spoilered.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:36:31 pm »

It's not that bad Waffle.

Just remember that dwarves are drunken, suicidal lemmings and babysit them accordingly. Next time that happens just lock the doors at count anyone still outside as dead.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:50:06 pm »

The problem you probably had was that the animal may have been a pet.  Pets get buried in coffins and everything, not grabbed as resources. 

Worse, even if the individual chunks are forbidden, outside is forbidden, and they have their "refuse gathering", "cleaning" and "burial" labors turned off, if you do this AFTER they have gotten it into their minds to rush outside in the middle of a seige or forest fire, they will STILL be running in the same direction until you somehow force them to re-path.

There are several things you can do to avoid this...

One of the best ideas I've seen is someone paving his hallways in doors.  Lock those doors in a dwarf's face, and he will be forced to re-path, which may make them reconsider what they are doing.  If nothing else works, just lock the entire path outside.

You can also try to isolate magma pipes from the rest of the world, which prevents much fire imp mayhem.  Dig a trench, build a wall, or construct drawbridges and raise them.  Trees are impervious to fire, and non-grass tiles generally don't burn, either.  I haven't actually tried this, but I think you can even create a fireproof berm by making a dirt road in a ring around your fort if you are working on small scale, since simply not having any adjacent grass tiles is enough to stop a fire.  You don't even have to do it near the fire imps, you can just ring your fort in it.  Fire doesn't travel up or down ramps, either.

Preventing fun is FAR easier than cleaning up the mess as or after it happens in DF.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:41 pm »

Ok, I used my DeLorean to travel through time to just before the fireball is thrown and killed the imp with the Speardwarf. I'll have to eventually deal with the other fire imps and the Magma men, too, but the MM have been minding their own business in the magma, and this was the only fire imp that actually left the magma POOL *The only magma pipe I know of in this fortress is deep underground, in my mines, and that place is cordoned off and lined with traps so there is no fucking way an imp can have fun* to destroy the ecosystem. He's done this several times already.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »

Edit: WARNING! HUGELY OFFENSIVE ANALOGY! IF YOU THINK IT'S OFFENSIVE, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.

In hindsight I think that the analogy might be a tad offensive. It's going to be spoilered.
That's only offensive to Nazis. And no one's given a damn about Nazi's feelings for sixty years.

The_Rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »

"The worst thing you can be is a liar....Okay fine, yes, the worst thing you can be is a Nazi, but THEN, number two is liar. Nazi 1, Liar 2"

- http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:49:13 am »

That's only offensive to Nazis. And no one's given a damn about Nazi's feelings for sixty years.
It's just that for some forums even mentioning nazis creates a whole debate over that shit and it all ends in really offensive jokes.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:27:47 am »

GODWIN'S LAW!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:39:29 pm »

Ok, I used my DeLorean to travel through time to just before the fireball is thrown and killed the imp with the Speardwarf. I'll have to eventually deal with the other fire imps and the Magma men, too, but the MM have been minding their own business in the magma, and this was the only fire imp that actually left the magma POOL *The only magma pipe I know of in this fortress is deep underground, in my mines, and that place is cordoned off and lined with traps so there is no fucking way an imp can have fun* to destroy the ecosystem. He's done this several times already.

I'm guessing you've got an area with magma exposed to the outside world if you've got Fire Imps running around the place shooting fireballs. I embarked on an open volcano & had the same problem although the Fire Imps were shooting at the local wildlife & periodically setting the place on fire.

Couple of things. Firstly just wall off the open magma area. Fire Imps can move through z-levels of magma because they can swim but they can't fly so a simple wall fixes the issue of them getting out especially if you've killed the one(s) which escaped already.
Secondly fire appears not to move across z-levels probably due to ramps not being flammable so walling in the area will allow the fire imps to burn whatever they like but the fire will be contained in the walled off area.

If you want to be really OTT & have an infinite water supply somewhere on your map (brook, river, aquifer etc) then you could flood the open magma & the top level will become an Obsidian cap which fixes the issue permanently.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough.