Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fort Ideas  (Read 1247 times)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Fort Ideas
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »

I've been playing DF for some time doing some stuff here and there,
but i can't seem to think up a great fort idea or something that make my playing worth it.
So throw all your fort ideas at me! :P
That also includes challenges.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Fort Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:52:50 pm »

Dig out, and build your entire fort in, one giant, underground cavern.

Bonus points if it covers multiple z-levels and is shaped like a natural cave.

More bonus points if it looks exactly like a town, but underground.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

Even more bonus points if the town has a huge crystal ball above it with giants metal masks floating around it.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »

1. Make a self-sufficent fort entirely immersed in a magma pipe.
2. Make a sewage system througout the fort
3. (What I'm working on right now) Mod carp to be tameable, and make your entire fort accessible to dwarves and carp alike by filling it with 4/7 water.. Now, put some tamed carp in andcwatch them follow dwarves like pets.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »

build a drowning trap in a doorway by using floodgates to make water stay in the doorway.

-Bonus points if you make it and take out an entire siege with it

-More bonus points if you throw kittens in it
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:40:35 pm »

Even more bonus points if the town has a huge crystal ball above it with giants metal masks floating around it.

i think i got a winner
i imagined the picture right before me! a Huge map with a Gaint hole in it with a dwarven town in it and a floating metal ball. but what if i filled up the hole with water? it would be a lake, a small one tho. And i dont want magma because i cant instal windows then. Or if somebody can help me to mod in Magma proof windows with the reaction of 1 Sand + bauxite.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »

I think all glass constructions are magma-safe. So Windows included, that said you may want to do a small-scale test to confirm.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:33:42 pm »

i think i got a winner
i imagined the picture right before me! a Huge map with a Gaint hole in it with a dwarven town in it and a floating metal ball. but what if i filled up the hole with water? it would be a lake, a small one tho. And i dont want magma because i cant instal windows then. Or if somebody can help me to mod in Magma proof windows with the reaction of 1 Sand + bauxite.

Windows are safe - technically just about everything is so long as the magma isn't directly on its tile. You could block magma out with wooden doors if you like, so long as you never open them as they'd instantly incinerate.

And speaking as someone who's done a fort like this, I advise modding your main layer stones to have [MELTINGPOINT_10000] and [BOILINGPOINT_10010] (not sure if those are the exact tokens). The sheer amount of stone you end up with is both astounding and crippling.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:53 am »

any ideas what would be IN the fort aside from barracks,dining hall, sleep quarters and storages?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:41:23 pm »

edit: nevermind
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:29:15 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:46:10 pm »

3. (What I'm working on right now) Mod carp to be tameable, and make your entire fort accessible to dwarves and carp alike by filling it with 4/7 water.. Now, put some tamed carp in andcwatch them follow dwarves like pets.
War carp.

Also, build a huge underground spiral stairway like thing, with caverns 3 tiles wide. Make lots of space in the center, so you can fill it with catapults, ballistae and archers. Make your town in the bottom Z level, in a huge cavern.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »

could anybody possibly gen a flatland or Near flat map with a bottomless pit somewhere in the center? Magma pipe and sand would be awesome. i got a Dwarf heaven (not the original 1) thats a bit bigger but its really rocky

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »

Build four huge towers. Well, tall towers. Connect them all with a massive square plate. Build city on plate.

Bonus if entire city is on top z-level
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:06:20 pm »

the cavern idea seems like a winner, but here are a few (simple) ideas I've been working on or thinking about:

1) cube fort - basically the most efficient use of space possible, all while adequately defending and producing.
2) above-ground fort - I guess I'd be leaning towards "village," but there are a lot of possibilities here, and in other threads I've read on the topic.
3) Maximum defense fort - basically built a fort to be as impenetrable as possible, relying mostly on military dwarves and clever use of walls and such. Traps and drawbridges are usually minus points for this one.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:59:14 pm »

Duplicate the WoW instance Blackrock Depths?
(although it's a "dungeon" in the game, it's actually a dwarven city, on many z-levels. at point 15 there's actually a 2-room tavern)
Pages: [1] 2