Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Badass Patron Saints  (Read 12644 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Patron Saints
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 08:22:03 pm »

Look yourself :P here is the link with the patronages of the saints. Actually the german Wikipages on saints are a bit better because they are ordered by patronage.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

Look yourself :P here is the link with the patronages of the saints. Actually the german Wikipages on saints are a bit better because they are ordered by patronage.

Roman Catholics truely do have a saint for everything under the sun.... I love my religion!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »

So it's zero for LEGOs, 3 for builders of various sorts, and one for artists.  The patron saint of artists (and in particular painters) is Luke the evangelist, and also happens to be the patron saint of doctors (in particular, surgeons), butchers, and students (it lists more if you go to their own wiki page).  He is said to be the writer of the Gospel of Luke, but as with many of the books it's not 100% certain.

So how do you know who your patron saint is - or do you just pick one?  Do you have to be Catholic, or just Christian? 
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 09:58:55 pm »

At least, in the case of my family, our middle names are usually after the patron saints we're given upon being baptized. Amazingly enough, they seem rather accurate throughout the family in regards to the saint assigned, and the personalities of those with them.

Gotta say, I like having a badass archangel as my guardian angel/patron saint. For some odd reason, having patron saints (like the case mentioned earlier) feels like owning a zanpaktou from Bleach. If only I can invoke his spirit as a tangible weapon; but according to the Bible (in regards to his power and such), that could destroy the world.

Amazingly enough, at least from what I recall by experience, the patron saints are helpful to some degree. I mean, I can just list off how many incidents I probably wouldn'tve survived, resolved, or avoided; had it not been for asking for the assistance of St. Michael (using his very own prayer). So to put it, I owe my life hundreds times over had it not been for his assistance when I absolutely needed him most. Then again, having unwavering faith in these regards generally help alot.

Of course, sometimes, I actually have to question the logic behind some of the rescues or happenings; but after applying enough fridge logic, there's your miracle, and the disaster that smacks later once I realize (usually after I realize).

Sometimes, life tends to suck at times, but remember, it can always suck far worse. That's where these guys usually step in to help.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:04:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 02:43:45 am »

Slightly off-topic, I don't like how the media portrays religion at all. It's all mockery; I mean, we are actually pretty awesome if you actually take the time to understand us.

Slightly offtopic too but most media that mocks Christians comes from people that are pissed that parts of said christians try to convert people rather actively and in a very unpleasent way. Same goes by the way too for Muslims Jews and many other religions [edit: including atheists - i know soe dawkins fundies that are quiet annoying] Religion shouldnt be advertised and it should keep its nose out of politics where its possible.

Problems are really only caused because directly-or-not average organized religion tells people how to think and what to do (that is, is inherently political organization rather than faith).

People having faith and beliefs is not really issue. Issue begins when person abuses them to gain power.

Well, even beliefs and faith are problematic, mostly when it crosses line and starts to hurt people of faith and others. But again, it is mostly just fault of person that makes up "god told me to do it" shit and does whatever sick thing he wants to do.

Guardian Angels? *shrugs* why not as long we can have "Soul animals" "Familiars" etc. too for other "religion" types.

Guardian angels is not that far bad concept, if you want to criticize something, you should poke fun at comparing angels to gods of various pantheons.

Internet and informatiks: Isidor

note to self: name my next server after him.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 07:09:27 am »

Flamewar approaching at the speed of light probability == 100% unless the thread is abandoned.

>.< I'm an active atheist and do -not- like religion since there is many parts in history where religion kills for their beliefs.

Free Masons = Butchered by catholics...yet the Freemasons didn't touch the catholics...Kinda like Hitler how he did the same to free masons yes?
Soooo many examples but i'll end up wasting to much space if i begin to say it all.

On topic(Slightly) how can you stand being in a school which forces beliefs on you? I admire you for that as I'd go insane and start bitching everywhere. Only bit I can find fun is making some documentaries on science and handing it in.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:20 am »

On topic(Slightly) how can you stand being in a school which forces beliefs on you? I admire you for that as I'd go insane and start bitching everywhere. Only bit I can find fun is making some documentaries on science and handing it in.

It is quality education since real catholics are not opposed to science. As for "forcing", it is part of education too; if you are in western-civ country, knowledge of dominant belief system is pretty handy thing.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 08:49:36 am »

Flamewar approaching at the speed of light probability == 100% unless the thread is abandoned.

>.< I'm an active atheist and do -not- like religion since there is many parts in history where religion kills for their beliefs.

Free Masons = Butchered by catholics...yet the Freemasons didn't touch the catholics...Kinda like Hitler how he did the same to free masons yes?
Soooo many examples but i'll end up wasting to much space if i begin to say it all.

Starting a flamewar after predicting it is cheating  >:(
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 09:22:55 am »

Starting a flamewar after predicting it is cheating  >:(
I set turned on the gas, who will light it? ;D haven't actually started it.

To Zwei: I try to avoid most religious people if they preach it to me. If they keep it in their head and don't start saying all this Armageddon **** then i don't care. Thing is, a lot of them do and it is very irritating. And i wasn't first to bring this up  :P

...I swear I'm not trying to be a troll it just sounds like i am, but I'm making a valid argument - even if its sidetracked...If people do react in a negative way then I will just back off.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:31 am »

Jude the Apostle, patron saint of lost causes.

I'm most certainly not Catholic, but the next time things start going down the drain, I think I might try invoking the name of Jude. I have no idea what help you would expect from someone whose entire raison d'etre is hopelessness.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 09:54:43 am »

If they keep it in their head and don't start saying all this Armageddon **** then i don't care. Thing is, a lot of them do and it is very irritating. And i wasn't first to bring this up  :P

It is very usefull to know what people have in their heads. Especially, if they are going to be close to you (neightbours/coworkers/etc). It is worth it to know what offsends them (just make sure they know that coversion offsends you too).

Normal person will not go armageddon-preaching-ballistic anyway, consider it blessing if you meet someone that would say all that 'shit' as it can clearly allows you to identify and avoid nut.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 10:07:12 am »

It is very usefull to know what people have in their heads. Especially, if they are going to be close to you (neightbours/coworkers/etc). It is worth it to know what offsends them (just make sure they know that coversion offsends you too).

Normal person will not go armageddon-preaching-ballistic anyway, consider it blessing if you meet someone that would say all that 'shit' as it can clearly allows you to identify and avoid nut.

..Still not asleep - last message of the night.
Normal - I don't know..about that. Most of my family in New Zealand seem "normal" but they constantly preach I'm going to hell and will pay for not believing in 'THEIR" god..Yaayyyy.

To the "Fun" bits. I find that if it offends them, then they will tell me as I will want to avoid them. I don't bring up god in anything at-all first...if they find it non-important and don't bring it up - happy with me.
Kind of like -don't ask don't tell- in the army, except here it's actually justified...But there is a lot of people who would feel dis comfortable I guess if they found that people they shower with are into men...homophones like to take rights away - They are more important.

Hey cool! i just completely changed subject silly me...SLEEEPPPP

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 10:16:31 am »

I'm an atheist, but I'm always down for some hagiography.

What about St. Chad?  He's the patron saint of good losers.  He seems like a pretty laid back guy. 

Also, FWIW, I think that the religion of the dwarves of Dwarf Fortress would fit in well with something like Catholicism - awesome chanting and old ceremonies and massive vaulted stone caverns (like cathedrals) and candles and lots of old, traditional religious 'tools' (like ancient saint relics & old crosses &c.).

I dunno.  When I think of dwarf religion, I either think of the dwarves as being very practical and not generally having ceremonies (even if all the individual dwarves are actually quite pious), or as having elaborate ceremonies with lots of gold and with religious costumes & such (more like Catholicism).

Also, lets try to avoid turning this into a religious debate thread.  Some people are religious, some aren't, and that's all cool.  And it sucks when someone insults another's belief (or lack thereof).  And we all love Dwarf Fortress, so it shouldn't really matter anyway.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50:05 am »

Heh, I remember trying to explain the significance of saints to my Muslim father... that was a fun day.

Hmmm, this gives me an idea for a fort in the new version: different burrows for different jobs, each one with a temple dedicated to the patron saint of that job, set up around a central pillar to Mary. Catholic dwarfs? Why not! And then the artifact makers would live in an altogether separate burrow, dedicated to one of the saints of craftsmen. I'm thinking Joseph.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:05 am »

Don't Muslims have something similar to saints?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4