Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Badass Patron Saints  (Read 12643 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Badass Patron Saints
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:37:21 pm »

I go to a Catholic school. As such, it is mandatory to take religion class every year of your education.

I'm not a Catholic. I'm merely a Protestant who was sent to this school. Anyways, enough with the backstory.

We are currently doing a project on Saints. Their life-story, what they did, their lasting influence, etc. Obviously, being a fan of Dwarf Fortress, I had to come up with a Saint that is very Dwarven.

I eventually realized that the Catholic church is pretty dwarven. The catholic church apparently has patron saints for every topic, including the area of Oceania. I chose one of the patron saint of brewers, St. Augustine of Hippo. Now, let me repeat that. There are more than four patron saints of brewers, including St. Arnold from Belgium, St. Arnulf from Austria, St. Luke (the guy who wrote one of the gospels), St. Nicholas, and more. Insanity.

So yeah. There are other awesome patron saints too, like St. Michael the Archangel, the patron saint of battle. Who knew that the Catholic Church could be so damn dwarfy?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:42:22 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Patron Saints
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:41:57 pm »

From what I read on Conservapedia just now, St. Agatha had her breasts cut off, and her symbol is these breasts laid out on a tray.

Hardcore.

Also, one guy killed a dragon, but I forget his name.

The Bible is actually the grittiest, bloodiest, sexiest book I have ever read. I don't understand why some right wing groups support censoring books like 'The Stone Angel', when the Bible is just so hardcore. If Quentin Tarantino had been an Apostle, he would have been right at home.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:44:35 pm »

Reason I love being one (Catholic) myself.

Slightly off-topic, I don't like how the media portrays religion at all. It's all mockery; I mean, we are actually pretty awesome if you actually take the time to understand us. But there are those that even make me cringe; I'll agree. Let's not forget, those that go to church ONLY on Christmas and Easter, but no other Sundays. Really?

Now that's out of the way, back to topic. What's neat to consider is that we also use most of the patron saints as guardian angels. So to put it, we get a bit of a spiritual boost from them too. Mine happening to be St. Michael as my guardian angel.

Relationships of Itnetlolor:
Nom                            Deity
Michael Nomsedil, Archangel                            Guardian Angel
Armok                            Deity
Morul Cattenmat, Legendary (+∞ +1) Badass                            Guardian Angel

And let's not forget entitlement that Spiritual Confirmation provides in the stead of a patron saint. Used correctly, could also provide a badass boost.

In a sense, consider it like being drafted to a commanding officer of your choice when the fit hits the shan when the Apocalypse (Revelations-style) happens.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:34:13 pm by Itnetlolor »

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:40 am »

Tread carefully - this thread could easily turn into a religious flamewar.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:39 am »

From what I read on Conservapedia ...

People actually use that to get infromation rather than to get amused?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:16 am »

Tread carefully - this thread could easily turn into a religious flamewar.

Theres been no real religious discussion so far, but yea, all it takes is one troll. However, I believe most of us Bay12ers are mature/smart enough to steer clear of a potential flamewar.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:53:03 am »

Even the most cynnical posters can clearly see this is a topic on saints, so just be prepared to ignore the bastard who brings up a saint they want to bash to bring up an argument.

What do you have in the way of saints of mining and smithing?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:57:45 am »

Speaking of mining, isn't there that saint who has a shrine in a salt mine or something? Polish (the mine, not the saint) I think? I've heard of her, but don't remember the name.

Edit: Found it: Google search for patron saint of mines. The saint is Saint Barbara.

Edit: nm on the wikipedia thing, it was my internet connection which is bieng wierd for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:44:04 am by smjjames »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:36:31 am »

every thing has a patron saint or 3
Saint George is the one with the dragon and a ton of other stuff.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 11:47:23 am »

every thing has a patron saint or 3
Saint George is the one with the dragon and a ton of other stuff.

Really? I challenge anyone including myself to find a patron saint of bathrooms and private business.

Edit: Nix what I said because a google search made something about a pope making a girl the saint of bathroom breaks (I didn't actually click the link), so kind of treading into NSFW territory there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:04:23 pm by smjjames »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 01:16:58 pm »

You should try an old game called Darklands (available now as abandonware).

It was set in Germany in the year 1400 and the magic system was based on the invocation of saints. Saint Polycarp could be invoked to protect the party from flame, Saint Dunstan to improve hammer skill, St. George for riding skill, etc.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 02:04:36 pm »

From what I read on Conservapedia ...

People actually use that to get infromation rather than to get amused?

It IS amusing.
Amusing that they think getting one's breast chopped off and used as a symbol is a good way to become a saint (or a good reward for being a saint).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 06:47:36 pm »

Slightly off-topic, I don't like how the media portrays religion at all. It's all mockery; I mean, we are actually pretty awesome if you actually take the time to understand us.

Slightly offtopic too but most media that mocks Christians comes from people that are pissed that parts of said christians try to convert people rather actively and in a very unpleasent way. Same goes by the way too for Muslims Jews and many other religions [edit: including atheists - i know soe dawkins fundies that are quiet annoying] Religion shouldnt be advertised and it should keep its nose out of politics where its possible.

Btt:

Guardian Angels? *shrugs* why not as long we can have "Soul animals" "Familiars" etc. too for other "religion" types.

Saints as such? A thing for the suggestions and not for general discussion i say. That said i wonder who would choose a saint in a world with real gods.

OT:
edit: (Since it came up) Wikipedia on saints for mining and smithing says:

Mining: Barbera and Anna
Smithing: Petrus and eligius
Internet and informatiks: Isidor
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:55:27 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 07:13:26 pm »

I've always been a Saint Christopher man, myself.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 07:24:39 pm »

Is there a patron saint of LEGOs?  Or just building toys?  Or art?  (I'm guessing the latter is most likely).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2 3 4