Poll

Null

Null
- 0 (0%)
Null
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: CSS Roanoke - Round 1 - Play Begins  (Read 24368 times)

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CSS Roanoke - Round 1 - Play Begins
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2010, 03:04:30 am »

So the party as a whole gets 6 dice.  Does that mean each person gets the same numbers for each roll, and the same allocations, or do we have to actually divvy up the 6 dice between people on a turn by turn basis?

Also, is the round 2 you mention the next turn of battle or a nebulous future episode of the story/game?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:31 am »

So the party as a whole gets 6 dice.  Does that mean each person gets the same numbers for each roll, and the same allocations, or do we have to actually divvy up the 6 dice between people on a turn by turn basis?

Also, is the round 2 you mention the next turn of battle or a nebulous future episode of the story/game?
By the rules of the system, everyone in a combat with a villain shares the dice pool, and the villain rolls the same number of dice as the party.

This means that each round you guys discuss who gets the dice.

And round 2 means round 2 of combat. :P

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2010, 04:29:43 am »

higan retreats into the far reaches of the room behind a massive metal pillar crying for a medic, higan then builds a barricade around himself.
Higan then aims and shoots at the metal monstrosity.

---

Btw, how much hp does this thing have, as i imagine taking 8 dammage its pretty much screwed...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #333 on: March 21, 2010, 11:50:34 am »

Villains have differing amounts of health, depending on their skills and purpose.

You'll know how many wounds it can take when it died.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #334 on: March 21, 2010, 11:51:16 am »

Note: Those who take damage can prevent said damage by invoking fate for their defense rolls at any time.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2010, 03:11:22 am »

Marcus lifts and fires his assault rifle, aiming for the security turret, pausing to take cover. "Jackson, use an EMP charge on that security bot! We can't let it get repaired!" He finishes reloading his rifle and continues to spray lead at the turret.

half to attack half to defense.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2010, 01:49:58 am »

So I guess you've lost interest guys?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2010, 02:02:39 am »

NOOO!!
I love this!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:36 am »

I'll put up a deadline then to keep things moving. I understand that things come up in real life, but its been 3 days since anyone but Acanthus posted. Round 2 of combat will end tomorrow (Wednesday) at midnight unless everyone gets their turns in prior to that.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »

I can see a bit of a mechanical problem with Villains if everyone has to share 6 dice regardless of narration. That is, more than two people fighting the villain should back off and let the two fight, because they need to be able to allocate dice to defense while still doing something on attack. And every person involved in the fight this round needs to blow one Defense die just to avoid the mech's minion auto-hit.

You'd normally want just one person fighting at a time, but he might die from the enemy allocating all its attack dice against just him. Two people have more Wounds to chew through. Effectively a Wound is a free automatic Defense roll until you die.

But it means six people attacking the mech will fare worse than two people doing it. Your best bet is to have two attack, then swap them out with two fresh ones when they take damage. I guess that fits with the source material, as in movies you rarely see the good guys ALL gang up on the bad guy at once even though that's legitimately the better option.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2010, 02:13:30 pm »

I can see a bit of a mechanical problem with Villains if everyone has to share 6 dice regardless of narration. That is, more than two people fighting the villain should back off and let the two fight, because they need to be able to allocate dice to defense while still doing something on attack.
That is kind of the point. Numbers shouldn't invalidate a villain, and if everyone got their full dice any normal villain would go down instantly.
And every person involved in the fight this round needs to blow one Defense die just to avoid the mech's minion auto-hit.
The mech's auto-damage only happens if the attacker allocates more than 2 dice to attacking. It is a suppression effect which only kicks in if you go on the offensive. It is intended to describe a scenario where you can reach out of cover and take a few shots but if you stand up and start blasting away you must worry about being hit.
I guess that fits with the source material, as in movies you rarely see the good guys ALL gang up on the bad guy at once even though that's legitimately the better option.
Indeed, that is the feel this system is going for. Thank you for the feedback! It is always welcome, and this is something I will be refining over time.

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2010, 03:25:11 pm »

Jedidiah wakes from the self-induced haze that had fogged his mind.  He realizes that the galaxy had not folded in upon itself after all.  These feelings of doom are not at all common for Jed.  Some say that it is due to spending way to many a night in the dark void of deep space.  'Space crazy' is what it is called.  Interstellar pilots are worked in crews to avoid the condition.  There is no backup crew for a Space Cowboy.  There is no replacement for the time lost.

JJ strokes his XB-49 Space modulator as he finally steps off of the ship and onto the hard metal-ceramic alloy of the CSS Roanoke.

<my apologies to all in this thread, I literally forgot about this game, I will be very active from here forward.>

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2010, 04:24:52 pm »

"..Reinforcement request in queue. Escalation request in queue."
Joe was stunned. Yes, he was prone on the deck from the bot's hydraulic kick.. but he was really stunned from the idea that his attack did not disable it. And now it is hunkering down to call for backup.

Joe rolls in to a crouch, then ducks behind a nearby bulkhead for cover. With his PDA be begins to hack the local comm relay- if he can intercept and interrupt this signal, maybe everyone will live today.

((Would this be considered leaving combat?))

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »

Joshua realizes that he didn't have to enter the medicine room, and could follow Joe down the maintinence hatch to help save the competition. He climbs down and takes out his sword, preparing for battle.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »

Jedidiah wakes from the self-induced haze that had fogged his mind.  He realizes that the galaxy had not folded in upon itself after all.  These feelings of doom are not at all common for Jed.  Some say that it is due to spending way to many a night in the dark void of deep space.  'Space crazy' is what it is called.  Interstellar pilots are worked in crews to avoid the condition.  There is no backup crew for a Space Cowboy.  There is no replacement for the time lost.

JJ strokes his XB-49 Space modulator as he finally steps off of the ship and onto the hard metal-ceramic alloy of the CSS Roanoke.

<my apologies to all in this thread, I literally forgot about this game, I will be very active from here forward.>

(It's alright, I understand how that can happen and don't take offense.)

You pass through the airlock in time to see Joshua disappear down a maintenance hatch towards the sound of some large explosions.
Joshua realizes that he didn't have to enter the medicine room, and could follow Joe down the maintinence hatch to help save the competition. He climbs down and takes out his sword, preparing for battle.
You will enter combat on round 3 as you emerge into the engineering room.
"..Reinforcement request in queue. Escalation request in queue."
Joe was stunned. Yes, he was prone on the deck from the bot's hydraulic kick.. but he was really stunned from the idea that his attack did not disable it. And now it is hunkering down to call for backup.

Joe rolls in to a crouch, then ducks behind a nearby bulkhead for cover. With his PDA be begins to hack the local comm relay- if he can intercept and interrupt this signal, maybe everyone will live today.

((Would this be considered leaving combat?))
(Yes, if you wish to leave combat you may flee, so long as you are not the only one in combat. In this case, you may move back from the defensive position without incident.)

Marcus lifts and fires his assault rifle(1), aiming for the security turret(2), pausing to take cover(3). "Jackson, use an EMP charge on that security bot! We can't let it get repaired!"(4) He finishes reloading his rifle(5) and continues to spray lead at the turret(6).

half to attack half to defense.
I count 6 dice, 3 attack and 3 defense.
Combat will progress at the end of the day (12 midnight EST, since I am running it) or when I get the remaining combatant's narratives.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28