Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground Ocean: Fun!  (Read 5108 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground Ocean: Fun!
« on: February 28, 2010, 06:00:03 am »

So, via my new enthusiasm for heightmap modding/importing into DF, I've managed to get an underground ocean. Well, sortof. Actually its capped with ice, due to being next to a cliff/haunted glacier, which doesn't ordinarily happen in worldgen. Its so awesome. I have a sheer glacial cliff wall, leading down to more then enough ice to build a fort into...and a goodly number of z-levels down, an ocean!

And by a 'few' I mean 'Underneath 14 z-levels of ice'. And this is a normal temperature world, no -1000 degree insanity, so my dwarves can survive here. Best yet, I can see clay and calcerious ooze deep down, so I can farm!

Aside from a lack of magma and HFS, this is -clearly- the ideal fortress site. If I knew how to work those 'put an image of your map' things, I'd put one up.

Now, to figure out whether or not a waterwheel can get power from ocean water...and to design a 'drop goblins 14 stories down into the sea' trap.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:34:04 am by lastofthelight »

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
Re: Underground Ocean: Fun!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:23:14 am »

At the very least can we get the worldgen parameters?   ;D
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:40:48 am »

First of all.

AWERSOME!!

I watched Miyazaki's Laputa - a fortress in the sky on TV today as it was on. I thought it would be cool to build a dwarf fortress in the sky with a floating volcano inside it but underground oceans are just as cool and now you did it.

Yah! Can you share the worldgen parameters :D
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:17 am »

Ok, I'm working on exporting the parameters and a bitmap image showing where the site is, which I'll both post to the file depot; I can't just c&p it here because the parameters are literally a couple of hundred pages long because I made the world by hand using a height-map generator. On the other hand, it makes the world much more robust; aside from where the biomes and volcanoes are, even if you change the random seed the world will be very similar.

I may also upload a copy of my DF build/world/folder if anyone wants it, because one of the Dwarf Civs has an adamantine destroyer for a leader, and the destroyer worships an ancient vampire (another megabeast) as its god. I should note that in over 300 years of history, noone has ever dared attack this particular dwarven civ, not even the ancient vampire. Hopefully in gameplay I can change that!

I love modding.

Here are the worldgen parameters. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1895
 Just take the file, copy its contents, and paste them into the bottom of your map init file. Then gen the world, it shouldn't get any rejects but if it does just accept them, then follow the image instructions and enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:42:49 am by lastofthelight »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 07:55:51 am »

If your raws have been changed at all you might have to post them for people to be able to make it work.  I have heard stories of people genning the dwarf heaven map and getting different results becuase of Mayday graphics (or the catmouth that comes with it, probly). 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:59:16 am »

I already tested it on a different build of DF, running entirely different mods. Because of the way this was built, it shouldn't matter, or at least didn't in the test. Even if the site was completely different, all you'd need to do would be to change the random seed, regen with the parameters I listed a few times, and wait for a glacier to appear anywhere along the river in question, and you'd get about the same results. Probably. The reason for this is that this only a 'semirandom' world, only the biomes, history and names are randomn, the river placement, heightmap and so on are fixed.

In any case, tomorrow I'll zip and post my entire folder to the depot, so others can definitely enjoy the world.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:03:23 am by lastofthelight »

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:57:28 am »

Wait. What.... underground ocean? What is it? From what you posted I can assume it's a ocean near to a glacier, but how the heck did you get land over water?

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:19:01 am »

Could this perhaps be the first dwarf colony on Europa?
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:48 pm »

Wait. What.... underground ocean? What is it? From what you posted I can assume it's a ocean near to a glacier, but how the heck did you get land over water?

Actually, I think he said that its a glacier overhanging the water (more properly called an ice shelf), but yea I'm interested in pics and whatever of this.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 03:27:31 pm »

Could someone give me instructions for exporting map images? There's -nothing- on the wiki about how to do it. Of course, the df map archive is down for me anyways, but I still need to know...

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:56 pm »

I guess it's that option in the esc menu, though last time I used it I couldn't find where the images were exported to...

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 04:01:28 pm »

Thats my problem too. And even if i could find it, as I said, the DF map archive is down.

Edit: At least http://mkv25.net/dfma/ just gives me a dead link.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:45:50 pm by lastofthelight »

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:57 pm »

Thats my problem too. And even if i could find it, as I said, the DF map archive is down.

Wait... I'm browsing it right now... Not tried uploading a new map.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

Ah, your right. My firewall was blocking it, apparently. Wierd. Anyways, if someone can tell me where this stuff exports too, I can upload a map image.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 05:10:59 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:37:20 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: [1] 2