Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magical Lake  (Read 1800 times)

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
Magical Lake
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:13 am »

Recently I had some ideas for using an ocean or lake to create a huge dam so I was looking around for a map. I found one with a lake with mountain tiles right next to it as well as a river and a haunted field.
So I embarked but to my surprise somehow the water level of the lake was a z level higher than the river and immediately started flooding. To make it even cooler the river was filled with carp. Also the mountain has to spits of land from the main mountain to the edge of the map splitting the lake into three parts. So with some pumping I should be able to make a very cool dam if I want to!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Lake
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:29:57 am »

Yeah, worldgen will do bizarre things like that from time to time.  If you can get the flooding under control, it'll be a great place.  We always love megaprojects that have a meaningful effect.  Good luck and keep us posted! (preferably with screens/maps/visualizations)

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »

Actually how do you get photos from DF?
Is there an option on a menu or something?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »

Actually how do you get photos from DF?
Is there an option on a menu or something?
Alt+Pr.Screen (above Insert on most keyboards), then open Paint or a similar program, insert it with Crtl+V or Edit->Insert, save the image, upload it on an image uploading site and post the link with
Code: [Select]
[img]link[/img] tags.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »

Or he could use dwarf visualizer, or 3Dwarf. Or Stonesense.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »

The method MC Dirty described will work in ANY program running in windows. Alt + PrntScrn will take a screenshot of just the current window, if you just press PrntScrn it will capture the entire screen if you need that for anything.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:49:00 pm »

And save PNG or JPG please, not BMP.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:08:30 pm »

PNG is better than JPG because the latter blurs the image.

Be wary of MS paint, adding a .png to the end of the filename when you save it won't override the default JPG filetype, so you'll have to click that little box on the save window and change that to PNG too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:37:11 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
The only problem is:
   i. I'm using a mac, so any visualizer doesn't work or a lot of the other programs
   ii. It's also a laptop.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 04:07:58 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
The only problem is:
   i. I'm using a mac, so any visualizer doesn't work or a lot of the other programs
   ii. It's also a laptop.

Same here.
Just press Escape while using DF, and select "Import local image", select the desired z-levels, and it will save a massive .bmp for each z-level. Try using Preview to change their extension into .png, or even .gif, if it's a fairly simple tileset/colorset you're using.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:37:08 pm »

This map is very FUN.
With the lake a z-level above the river the water pressure makes the river over flow. So not only is the valley having a lake drain into it the river is overflowing. Did I mention the river is filled with carp?
Interestingly the overflow pushes the carp out of the river effectively air drowning them.

With constant rain, no housing and a haunted field my dwarves die at astonishing rates, as one kill will start a tantrum spiral. 5th reclaim and the only thing I've progressed on is the long platform to drain the middle lake.
Just as a reference to what the map actually looks like, here's a sketch:
|
~\
~|       __       _        ____
~~\   /~~\    /~\___/~~~
~~|  /~~~| /~~~~~~~~
~~|  |~~~| |~~~|-|~~~

\, |, / are natural rock walls
`~ is water
I'm sure you get the point.

Puriri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My LEGO MOCs
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »

Yay the four remaining dwarves from the original seventy reclaim expedition have all recovered from their miserable states. Work proceeds slowly but I will finish.
|
~\
~|       __       _        ____
~~\   /~~\    /~\___/~~~
~~|  /~~~| /~~~~~~~~
~~|  |~~~| |~~~|-|~~~
           ^
            |
   Just so you know:
I'm going to drain this. And I've almost finished the platform for all the pumps. Almost.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »

post the worldgen data, or region folder?

for the mac, you can run the windows stuff in a VM (virtualbox is free, its not hard to find an old computer to scavenge a legal XP key from). The visualizers are nifty enough to give it a go.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 11:20:31 pm »

for the mac, you can run the windows stuff in a VM (virtualbox is free, its not hard to find an old computer to scavenge a legal XP key from). The visualizers are nifty enough to give it a go.
For macs (I assume you are talking about printing the screen) you just need to press Command+shift+3.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.
Pages: [1] 2