Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90966 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #555 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

Hey everyone, I've been lurking since about page 3; really enjoy the story so far and finally got over myself and thought I'd volunteer for meatgrinder duty.

Name: Neil Stranek
Preferred Weapon: Latest Rifle-sized smallarm, extra grenades. At some point, wouldn't mind a stun launcher.

Character Bio: Neil's defining characteristic is his sense of duty to his teammates. As an ex-French Legionnaire, he often volunteered for dangerous assignments if it meant other members of his squad would be out of immediate danger. The same holds true for his X-Com assignments. UFO breaches, scouting duty, are all things he would prefer until/unless he achieves officer status. Would also volunteer for psi-training if his attributes turned out to be high enough.

welcome aboard. I'll add you to the queue for when i next hire soldiers. Thanks for reading the story so far ^.^
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »

In  case I forgot to mention it, awesome story, yes.
Also, did I miss something with this "jack" character? Or is he new to the plot?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:01 pm »

In  case I forgot to mention it, awesome story, yes.
Also, did I miss something with this "jack" character? Or is he new to the plot?

he was preluded two story posts ago and introduced in the last story post so no, you haven't missed anything, he's new. He is a way to answer the unasked question: how can anya be awake and doing stuff 24 hours plus?

short answer: she cant
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »

well, finished up playing and taking notes for the next story post. thank god I did that side plot with the second in command. we got scooby doo'ed again for about 3 solid days. don't worry, we got one of em at least.

Aliens: And we would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling X-Com guys!

edit - just checked, 4 solid days. I cant wait till we get those new interceptors, damned cowardly aliens!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:51:50 pm by cganya »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 13, 2010, 03:05:29 am »

TO: Commander Snow
RE: "wussy medkits" for "wussy tanks":
Attachment: Diagram for Super Tank

Commander, it has come to my attention that it may be possible in the future for us to make you tanks.  If you really want a constant supply of tanks, wouldn't it be better for us to make you advanced super tanks instead of relying on those mass-produced junk tanks currently used?  Attached are a few diagrams for Super Tanks, but we currently lack a field gun that would significantly upgrade these Super Tanks over the current versions.  If only we had a bigger version of our small arms to mount into the tank designs.

Respectfully,
Urist McGyver

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:36 pm »

Can I see argatson's current stats?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 14, 2010, 07:08:42 pm »

Can I see argatson's current stats?

Argatson has some really impressive stats, just a bit low on health, bravery and throwing accuracy.

I am working on the next post slowly, in a bit of a slump lately. I'll recover soon and will be up to my old pace.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 15, 2010, 12:07:27 am »

I chose Darkwind and Mr. Apple to lead the ground mission. Darkwind would take an over-watch team consisting of Mehmed, Tamunshin, Spartan and Hugh Mann. Mr. Apple would take a breach team consisting of Shigeo Okabe, Dash Gunmetal, Shu Bei and Steve.

I ordered the Interceptor pilot to patrol the area in-case the UFO suddenly went airborne, however fuel appeared to be quite low already and he wouldn't be able to stay long.

Before the Skyranger could even reach the Atlantic ocean, the Interceptor had to return to base, leaving the UFO un-attended.

Jack suggested that if he were to start covering my shift while I get a human amount of rest, he should go get some sleep while he could.

"Do you think you can figure out this console before I turn in?" I asked as he began to leave.

"Well, maybe not everything, but so far it appears pretty simple." He replied as he stretched his neck.

"Here, take this, it's the manual." I hand him a spiral bound book with the words "Command Console User's Manual" on it. "It will be a big help until you know how to fully use this thing. Have a good sleep Lieutenant Commander."

He left the room and I turned back to my post, watching as the Skyranger inched closer and closer to the remote UFO. I closed my eyes and tried to think of what the aliens were doing there. Hopefully nothing too public as we really needed to improve the mood of the funding nations.

Hours later at 8am I could feel my mind shutting down. Nothing had happened in the last four hours. Suddenly the UFO began to rise from the ground and speed off to the south. "Damn it!" I bellowed as I looked over the Interceptor that had recently returned. It was still in the hanger being refueled and maintained.

By 9am we had lost radar tracking of the UFO entirely.

I slammed my fist on the console tiredly and ordered the Skyranger back to base. I decided to head to bed before exhaustion got the better of me. Since there was no more UFO activity going on I saw no need to have Jack take my position. I went to bed and closed my eyes and hoped nothing would happen while I was asleep.

7 hours later we detected another UFO.

This time the UFO was in north Eastern China.

"hope your seats are comfortable guys. We detected another UFO and it's your new target." I instruct the pilot and it's crew over the radio. Groans could be heard in the background as the pilot acknowledged me. I had hoped that we could catch this UFO and not be a waste of our effort. Interceptor two was still refueling and could not assist, and I didn't want to endanger Mac's Interceptor despite his insistence that he could take it out.

The UFO moved west to the middle east before turning south out over the ocean. We soon lost tracking as it moved further and further from the coast.

Before I could redirect the Skyranger back to base another UFO was detected in Mexico.

Finally, a target we could reach! I thought to myself as I ordered for Mac to scramble his jet.

Sadly Mac never had a chance to catch up to the UFO as it flew straight towards the Atlantic.

While we lost tracking of the small UFO over the Atlantic but we detected the large UFO again over China.

Interceptor two was finished prepping so I had it scrambled and sent after the UFO.

As the UFO turned north east and began crossing the Pacific ocean, we lost radar coverage of it. I set way-points for the Skyranger and Interceptor.

However, only half an hour later we detected the small UFO we had found in Mexico, now in Europe.

Both the Skyranger and Mac's Interceptor were still refueling however and the second Interceptor was still out.

I decided to reroute the second Interceptor towards the small UFO, I hoped it's fuel would hold out.

Such would not be the case as the Interceptor ran low on fuel as it attempted to cross the Arctic. However Mac had, by then, refueled and was itching to go.

By the time Mac closed in on the UFO it had landed just north of London.

The funding nations were not going to like this. I ordered Mac not to land and engage as it was risky enough for him to take on a single alien at a time, much less 4-8 of them at once.

By 4:30am the Skyranger had finished refueling. Darkwind and Mr. Apple gathered their teams again and packed themselves into the Skyranger once again.

Jack surprised me from behind. He had come to relive me of duty for the night.

"Are you sure you're ready lieutenant commander? I asked, weary from the long hours spent in my chair.

"I have that manual with me and I have had a day to study it. You know I'm no slouch, trust me." He replied with a smile.

I tried to look him in the eyes but my vision was strained and starting to falter. "Very well, you're right. Good luck Jack, I'll be here to relive you in 9 hours."

I returned to my room and retired to my bed. I stared at the ceiling for an hour wondering if he was doing everything right. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply, of course he was doing everything right. Jack Bladestar doesn't make mistakes.

The following is what happened according to Jack's notes:

As the UFO took off Mac tried to engage but was already pushing his air-time limit and had to break off.

Jack re-routed the Skyranger north to the Arctic where the UFO was heading but the UFO moved far to quickly to cut off and radar coverage was quickly lost.

Jack had the Skyranger patrol the Arctic for a few hours.

I had returned to the command center to relieve him of duty but he was doing fine and there was not much action going on.

"Frustrating isn't it?" I mused over his shoulder.

"How can they move so god damned fast?" He asked frustratedly.

"Once we finish more pressing research projects, that is one of our priorities. within 2 weeks I hope to have Interceptors in Europe and China." I explained, practicing my little speech for the funding nations.

"Good, that would make a huge difference I think." He replied and stretched his neck.

Jack eventually gave up trying to find the UFO again and ordered the Skyranger back to base.

At noon the next day, the engineers I had sent for had arrived and were eager to get to work on the state of the art toys we had for them. Auraluna directed them to the Urist McGyver and they joined the current med-kit production.

I responded to Urist's message by explaining that I would love to have him build tanks for me but we needed more time for the scientists to finish their work on personal armor. Once that was finished we would need plenty of that.

The next day we detected another UFO. It was small and heading west at 2700kt/h over the south coast of the middle east.

I decided to send both Mac and the Skyranger in hopes that we would catch the UFO for once. As they flew towards their target, it moves erratically around Europe, passing directly over the European listening post!

Mac caught up to the UFO over the city of Trieste in Austria.

Mac quickly engaged and accelerated towards the UFO.

He wasted little time and quickly shot it to pieces.

The UFO sustained a great amount of damage while being unable to fend off Mac's superior dog fighting skills. The UFO was forced to make an un-graceful landing on the border of Austria and Italy.

The command center cheered in our first success in days! Jack came in to relieve me but I was too excited. After an hour however he convinced me to go rest. It would take the Skyranger around 6 more hours to arrive on site.

TO BE CONTINUED!
---------------

Sorry to cut it off before the good part but I wanted to get all this scooby doo nonsense out of the way first. God damned aliens avoid me like the damn plague. Considering my ground mission success rate though, I'd avoid me too :P

At the time this segment was played, I had not yet decided to send teams with Mac so that's why I would not have him land and take out that small UFO. don't worry, next time he'll have a small group in there with him. Also I will hire the next group of soldiers so that they will arrive early next month. so the wait shouldn't be too long.

Hope everyone is enjoying the story so far ^.^ the more side story/ journal, posts the better.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:12:04 pm by cganya »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:47 am »

I hate it when they show up everywhere at once after doing nothing for a month.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 15, 2010, 09:23:04 am »

I hate it when they show up everywhere at once after doing nothing for a month.

At least I got one. maybe I wont have such a large negative score this month.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:30 am »

Wouldn't be X-Com if things went smoothly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 15, 2010, 12:51:48 pm »

No offense, Anya, but I believe the big mistake here was putting your main base in North America. Europe seems to be getting a lot of the action. That seems to have been the case in most games I've played, with Europe getting a lot of action, followed by SE Asia, then it's usually a tossup between South America, Australia and North America. Occasionally Africa will get a base on it which will bump up its activity, but other than terror missions and European UFOs that just happen to overfly parts of North Africa, I don't see much activity there.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 15, 2010, 12:53:56 pm »

No offense, Anya, but I believe the big mistake here was putting your main base in North America. Europe seems to be getting a lot of the action. That seems to have been the case in most games I've played, with Europe getting a lot of action, followed by SE Asia, then it's usually a tossup between South America, Australia and North America. Occasionally Africa will get a base on it which will bump up its activity, but other than terror missions and European UFOs that just happen to overfly parts of North Africa, I don't see much activity there.

well I would have hated to leave USA cut off from support for so long (as it's the best funder in most games) but I think the real mistake I made was having the base on the west coast of north America. If it were on the east coast it would take almost half the time to get to Europe x.x lesson learned I guess.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »

Hard to say, really. I've had games where I based myself in the rockies and had constant attacks in America and Japan. Although I usually pick Europe anyways, since the combined funding from Europe is usually more then America by a good bit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 15, 2010, 01:44:38 pm »

yes, USA give lots of money, but countries in europe are many.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67