Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 91000 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #390 on: March 26, 2010, 11:24:02 am »

I suppose having Darkwind carry around a Mind Probe in her backpack would be ok. She doesn't need the space since she uses a Laser Rifle and having officers hanging back is generally better for morale. She can focus mostly on her sniping and when needed pull out the mind probe to see what we're up against. It will come in handy when we start attacking Alien bases to find a Commander. Also useful during missions against Sectoid Leaders so you can find the psionic bastard and take him down as soon as possible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2010, 04:19:34 pm »

I'll take some explosive round next time. Not as my entire load out, just as a source of more dakka if a time of peril arises.

a clip of high explosive rounds is already part of gogandantess' load-out. he carries 2 AP clips and 1 HE clip along with a flare on night missions

Two bits of advise:
1) Consider dumping at least one clip of AP, as the lasers do more damage.
2) Consider adding an imbincary clip.  Nothing like "lighting up" an enemy literally, especially when the stronger aliens appear.

Other than that, good game so far, hope you finish this LP.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »

I'll take some explosive round next time. Not as my entire load out, just as a source of more dakka if a time of peril arises.

a clip of high explosive rounds is already part of gogandantess' load-out. he carries 2 AP clips and 1 HE clip along with a flare on night missions

Two bits of advise:
1) Consider dumping at least one clip of AP, as the lasers do more damage.
2) Consider adding an imbincary clip.  Nothing like "lighting up" an enemy literally, especially when the stronger aliens appear.

Other than that, good game so far, hope you finish this LP.

incendiary ammo always confused me. I used it against the "fire weakness" alien and it seemed to do didly- squat. I was planning on introducing it once we had A) fire resistant armor and B) reason to believe the aliens had any weakness to fire at all.

so what research guys? plasma pistol is missing from the list because i had to choose something. plasma pistol is a self imposed research requirement for personal armor

besides it would be cool to have all three weapon types on the battlefield at once.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2010, 04:48:50 pm »

Plasma Pistol > Alien Alloys > Personal Armour

Because holy crap, we need that armor fast!
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

Armor is good, yes. If you're restricting yourself to not research the alloys until you've finished the pistol, then I'd say Heavy Laser.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2010, 06:03:37 pm »

Dude not even funny. Just research the damn armor already, there is seriously no reason to restrict yourself in such a manner. We can figure out the properties of alien alloys just fine without knowing anything about their weapons, same as how we can put those alloys in armor.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2010, 06:38:04 pm »

Fire works strangely in x-com. So strangely I don't even remember how it works myself. (And what I do know might not be right.) If you want more info here is a decent explanation of what is currently known about the incendiary damage.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Incendiary

Just as a summary, the main reason it seems to do diddly squat is because it doesn't do much initial damage. (Occasionally none at all, as even a direct hit has a chance to not catch the target on fire.) But if a unit is left standing in fire, or is on fire itself, it will take damage over time. There are a few more oddities about it, but I'll let you read about those for yourself if you'd like.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 26, 2010, 07:50:56 pm »

Setting reapers on fire WILL kill them, eventually. Once they are on fire, they run around like panicked sissies, while taking damage.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 26, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »

I would guess that plasma is required to make the armour, so lets do stun bombs...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 26, 2010, 10:30:15 pm »

my reason for researching plasma to get armor is simple. Our concept of armor plating isn't effective against plasma because it's not a shell based system. I don't want to spoil the story reason I have for making this connection because i'd much rather write it out in a story post.

besides were not desperate for armor yet. were still fighting sectoids and we have lasers. cyber discs are a bitch yes but that's about it.

besides, the research tree is too easy as is.

also in response to RAM > yeah stun bombs are pretty sweet but I'm voting for armor branch
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:42:39 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 26, 2010, 11:28:47 pm »

Since I didn't realize until now you were still taking players. And since you seem to be in need of a mind prober, how about someone new. Somewhat mysterious character, obvious Chinese origin. Quietly judgmental about the whole situation. Somewhat panicky under stress. Armed with a pistol, in order of preference, Plasma, Laser, and Standard. Also including a mind probe of course, and once they're available, a motion scanner.

No real preferences on stats. I'd ask for a strong Psi character, but at this point it's a crap shoot. But... let's say low to moderate bravery. 10 or 20 if you've got it.
Name: Shu Bei

Edit: Sorry Mephansteras, I hadn't read that you had already called a probe. Still, I'll leave the decision up to Anya.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:39:14 pm by sluissa »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 27, 2010, 12:57:53 am »

Since I didn't realize until now you were still taking players. And since you seem to be in need of a mind prober, how about someone new. Somewhat mysterious character, obvious Chinese origin. Quietly judgmental about the whole situation. Somewhat panicky under stress. Armed with a pistol, in order of preference, Plasma, Laser, and Standard. Also including a mind probe of course, and once they're available, a motion scanner.

No real preferences on stats. I'd ask for a strong Psi character, but at this point it's a crap shoot. But... let's say low to moderate bravery. 10 or 20 if you've got it.
Name: Shu Bei

Edit: Sorry Mephansteras, I hadn't read that you had already called a probe. Still, I'll leave the decision up to Anya.

I can add you in and once we get an extra mind probe i can assign it to you. welcome to the breach team ^.^

I will wait for tomorrow afternoon before i continue playing to give everyone a chance to vote on research. also the late section of bioshock 2 is quite impressive.

edit - you know what i just noticed? what gender is Shu Bei? pardon my ignorance. asian names vs gender is something i just havent learned
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:03:32 am by cganya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 27, 2010, 01:15:04 am »

Male, sorry. Although, and I could be severely wrong here, but I believe it doesn't matter as much with Asian names as it tends to with Western names.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 27, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »

ok well, that was crappy. I've worked up some notes and I'm ready to work on the next story post. gonna take a break though.

warning, next update, while having a decent ground mission, is crappy

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 27, 2010, 06:20:28 pm »

Interesting... I can't wait. :)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67