Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90972 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #375 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:26 pm »

I'm not sure if you want this info, so I'll put it in spoiler tags. It's basically game mechanics info about base defenses which contradicts what would probably be good roleplay and storytelling logic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really liking this LP so far. One of my favorite ones, I think. I'm really impressed you haven't had more losses either.

Someone mentioned having problems once you have multiple bases setup. It might be worthwhile to simply keep the base you have as your main base and never build anything else up beyond listening post status. This would, however, be putting all of your eggs in one basket. If you go with this plan, might not be a bad idea to add more storage and living quarters to your listening posts than you'd normally put there, in case evacuation of your main base is called for.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2010, 01:34:16 pm »

I'm not sure if you want this info, so I'll put it in spoiler tags. It's basically game mechanics info about base defenses which contradicts what would probably be good roleplay and storytelling logic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really liking this LP so far. One of my favorite ones, I think. I'm really impressed you haven't had more losses either.

Someone mentioned having problems once you have multiple bases setup. It might be worthwhile to simply keep the base you have as your main base and never build anything else up beyond listening post status. This would, however, be putting all of your eggs in one basket. If you go with this plan, might not be a bad idea to add more storage and living quarters to your listening posts than you'd normally put there, in case evacuation of your main base is called for.

I think i'm going to role play that base defence facilities are too over the top for the current alie threat. maybe after we actually get attacked we'll "wisen up" and invest in such a thing.

as for the multiple bases problem. I dont see a problem setting up secondary bases that have their own troops. What I will probably do is be the field commander on those missions as well (the miracle of instant communications). the extra bases would simply be an extentions of the first base. the secondary bases would probably have some basic all purpose stuff (living space, storage space, radar coverage) but then the rest would be based on specilization (workshops for a manufacturing base for instance)

and as for Mephansteras' post: 10 more engineers is high on my priority list. need to spit out more med-kits so i dont have to sell as much alien stuff for moola
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2010, 01:47:41 pm »

Someone mentioned having problems once you have multiple bases setup. It might be worthwhile to simply keep the base you have as your main base and never build anything else up beyond listening post status.

Not sure if you mean my post on this or not. But my point wasn't that she shouldn't make other bases, it was that she might want to ignore the other bases from a mission write-up standpoint. It reduces the writing workload later on when you're just doing the same type of mission over and over all around the world. So she'd still have teams all over the place, she'd just make brief reports on how those bases are doing instead of the detailed posts she's been doing and save the details for the main base.

It's just a thought I had while playing through the game recently. I was pondering LPs while playing and realized that I did a TON of missions, and that trying to do write-ups of most of them would just take too much time and effort.

Of course, she could just gloss over multiple missions later on and just give in-depth reports for the ones where someone dies or new aliens are discovered, but you'd still have to take screen shots and log what happened for each mission in case someone died. So I'm not sure it would save that much time.

Obviously, this is Anya's LP and she can do whatever she wants, it's just a concern I had. Especially since X-Com LPs tend to die pretty regularly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »

Someone mentioned having problems once you have multiple bases setup. It might be worthwhile to simply keep the base you have as your main base and never build anything else up beyond listening post status.

Not sure if you mean my post on this or not. But my point wasn't that she shouldn't make other bases, it was that she might want to ignore the other bases from a mission write-up standpoint. It reduces the writing workload later on when you're just doing the same type of mission over and over all around the world. So she'd still have teams all over the place, she'd just make brief reports on how those bases are doing instead of the detailed posts she's been doing and save the details for the main base.

It's just a thought I had while playing through the game recently. I was pondering LPs while playing and realized that I did a TON of missions, and that trying to do write-ups of most of them would just take too much time and effort.

Of course, she could just gloss over multiple missions later on and just give in-depth reports for the ones where someone dies or new aliens are discovered, but you'd still have to take screen shots and log what happened for each mission in case someone died. So I'm not sure it would save that much time.

Obviously, this is Anya's LP and she can do whatever she wants, it's just a concern I had. Especially since X-Com LPs tend to die pretty regularly.

i did notice the x-com lp graveyard going on in this subform. amazing really.

yes i understand that as the months go by, the amount of missions you do get quite high. I have a fairly quick system for taking notes and screenshots during combat (love you notepad, so so much) so gathering material isnt very difficult.

I suppose later when "nothing really happens" in missions i can gloss over them a bit but i intend to try and keep things interesting. besides i'm sure people will start dieing eventually, this is after all x-com

I may start to type up combat missions from the point of view of the ranking officer in the mission, i think this would be especially usefull for secondary base operations. the ranking officer would be a bit of a "branch manager" i guess.

and I meant that while getting some listening posts out there is my top priority, getting 10 more engineers on staff if my second one. so a bit of both worlds.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »

I see what you mean now. Sorry, I misunderstood. For sanity's sake, I think you're right, we don't need to hear about every scout ship that gets assaulted. Although then we run the risk of a favorite character getting hit by a lucky shot on one of those that's chosen not to be recorded.

Anya is the commander, but it's a concern I share as well. Especially if...

I think i'm going to role play that base defence facilities are too over the top for the current alie threat. maybe after we actually get attacked we'll "wisen up" and invest in such a thing.

as for the multiple bases problem. I dont see a problem setting up secondary bases that have their own troops. What I will probably do is be the field commander on those missions as well (the miracle of instant communications). the extra bases would simply be an extentions of the first base. the secondary bases would probably have some basic all purpose stuff (living space, storage space, radar coverage) but then the rest would be based on specilization (workshops for a manufacturing base for instance)

and as for Mephansteras' post: 10 more engineers is high on my priority list. need to spit out more med-kits so i dont have to sell as much alien stuff for moola

... you're going to have multiple fully staffed facilities. Just from personal experience, I had a huge organization set up in a recent game with well over 100 soldiers in various places for various activities and even with one research base and one production base, the micromanaging became too much. I eventually "retired" from the program without even defeating the aliens. (I never actually have, by the way.)

If this is the planned route, with the addition of all the writing, roleplay and in game organization you'll have to deal with, I worry about the health of the LP itself, or your own personal sanity Anya. Perhaps though, you're simply made of tougher stuff than I was.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

very soon were going to be generating "redshirt" soldiers. 17-18 soldiers is an excellent number for late game ranked officers. I dont think i will type out every little gritty detail (like every base transfer in detail and such) but i will still take notes of everything significant that happens. If nothing much happens in a combat then there will be a short "report" from the 1-2 ground team leaders.

if something interesting happens (somebody named dies, tank got owned, somebody pulled off a leyroy jenkins successfully, ect.) then i'll write it out.

I'm in no hurry to "finish" the game and once i do i'll probably move onto TFTD. I see this as a challenge to my writing ability. I have always wanted to write but never could get it down on paper. This way the content is there and makes chronilogical sense. I just have to type it.

dont worry, i'm not close to a burn out.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2010, 02:31:54 pm »

May I recommend NOT buying cannon tanks? You need to spend the money on more important things.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2010, 06:59:02 pm »

well I'm going to go with the two bases locations i suggested. lets see if i have enough money to afford it.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »

I vote for the second base to be in Romania!
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2010, 11:56:13 pm »

The start of a fresh new month. I open my computer and take a look at our finances. A healthy looking 5.2 million dollars. I see a new e-mail from Auraluna titled: Listening Post Estimate. I open the e-mail and read over the contents.

1,000,000 to construct a base in Europe.

750,000 to construct a base in China.

2,600,000 to provide both bases with complete radar coverage.

The little tiny accountant in my head that had just been dancing to the tune of five million dollars now lay heartbroken in the bottom of my soul. I pondered over the cash flow statements and the construction estimates but the funding report I had received the previous day continued to resurface in my mind. With one quick e-mail I made it official. It was nice to think about all the nice things we could have had around here but the mission came first. The mission demanded that our eyes extend to other places of the world first so that we may protect our charges.

947,000 remained in the cash account. I suppose it could have been worse. At least now we could show our worth and truly protect the rest of the planet.

The next day I received a report from my engineers that the med-kits I had ordered were complete.

I had them start up a new batch. We would need many more med-kits to replenish our funds. I hope they enjoy making med-kits. I forwarded their e-mail to Auraluna and instructed her to have the med-kits sold. There was a waiting list for the med-kits thankfully. Auraluna's task would not be hard and within an hour I received a reply from her detailing our expected revenue.

A week went by with no activity from the aliens. I had come to realize that there were occasional dry spells of alien activity and apparently March would be no different. On Tuesday, March 9th I received a message from Zilvara. She and her team had finished their research on the alien device!

The scientists had made a breakthrough when they discovered that the object would respond to mental commands rather than touch or verbal commands. The reaction to touch was simply static. After that they made a lucky call when they commanded the device to open. Inside the device was a compact computer like system that was powered by a small sample of elerium. The real juicy part though is that the device's purpose is to extract information from a target creature. The device is very efficient but sadly can not do more than just "read" a mind. The scientists tested the device on our alien prisoners and identified all but one as soldiers. The remaining alien was actually a leader of sorts. The report also included plans to create more of the devices. It would be very expensive and require a small amount of elerium but the option was there.

I replied and congratulated them on their success. I asked them to turn their focus now onto the alien leader. I wanted to know what kind of information we could get out of it.

I tended to the base while the scientists and engineers were hard at work. The soldiers were becoming restless with every hour that went by without any enemy activity. I tried to keep them occupied, holding contests and parties.

Within two days the scientists contacted me with a discovery both reassuring and terrible.

The "sectoid", as they call themselves, leaders have "psionic abilities" granted to them by something or someone they called "The Great Mind". This meant that Tamunshin and Cerapa had indeed been the target of an all new kind of weapon, one with terrible consequences. The scientists continued to explain that the sectiods were amazingly similar to humans on the genetic level. They would come to a planet, abduct and mutilate the locals to extract genetic material. They would use the material to refine their genetic structure and form advanced hybrids. This has apparently been going on for several years. The scientists were able to gain a great deal of insight into the culture of the sectoids. Their forces mainly composed of soldiers, engineers, scouts and medics with several "leaders". The sectoids however had a hive mentality and care little about their personal well being. When the scientists delved deeper about the entity known as "The Great Mind" the alien's mind went suddenly blank. It died a few moments later when it's body forgot how to breath. A troubling development.

The scientists excitedly messaged me with two new projects.

They could begin analyzing the information they had about the alien's psionic abilities as well as they started to try to piece together information about where the aliens were coming from and why. They needed more information about the aliens before they could start connecting any dots. I decided that we needed to be able to contend with the aliens psionic weapons before they found a way to increase their effectiveness. I ordered them to begin working on human psionic applications.

I approached Tamunshin with the discovery of the alien psionic weapons and had a talk with her. Eventually I looked her in the eyes and asked: "Tamunshin, are you ready to get back out there and get back at those little creeps?"
"Yes commander. I feel more certain with every day that I'm ready to take things up a notch. Dr. Gableman and Archangel have helped me so far but I need the taste of blood to get back my confidence. Please give me my chance." She was sincere and I knew she was ready to wield her heavy cannon once again.

Two more long event-less days passed and I received word that the small radar stations in the new listening posts were complete.

"Finally" I remarked to myself. The soldiers continued to grow restless while the scientists and engineers continued to have their work to keep them occupied but the soldiers needed a fight.

Another long week passed by. No contacts. What were they waiting for?! Did they leave our world for easier prey? were they amassing a real army to wipe us out? Had they developed a way to completely avoid our radar? The questions were burning a hole in my mind as the hours ticked by. Any minute I suspected the messages to come over the PA system or that I would receive news of an alien attack on a city.

The engineers had finished the next batch of med-kits and they were promptly sold off to the waiting hospitals of the world. The engineers complained a bit about having to make the same thing over and over again like lowly factory workers but I assured them that we needed the money and the world needed advanced med-kits.

The scientists, however, had positive news for me. They had finished their research.

We would need to construct a facility dedicated to the psionic training of soldiers. Psionics was something most humans already had the potential to use. Using psionics it was possible to do many little "tricks" such as seeing around corners, projecting senses a short way through time. Spreading fire or water a very short distance and moving very small objects like pencils and spoons. The most useful of all tricks though was the ability to interpret another person's senses and communicate without speaking over a moderate distance. If every soldier in the team could learn these abilities we would not need short range radio and a sniper could see through a scout's eyes. The possibilities were interesting. The scientists warned that in order to contend on the same level with the aliens we would need some sort of "amplifier". I replied that I would think about it and that they should begin looking at the alien weapons while the psi lab was under construction.

I ordered for a psi lab to be constructed as soon as possible. It would take almost a month to create the delicate equipment needed to tap into and test the psionic abilities of a human.

TO BE CONTINUED!
----------------

wow, ok where did the aliens go? I sure hope they haven't been wrecking havoc in Europe and Asia while the radar was being built. cheeky bastards.

the psi lab takes 24 days to be constructed and soldiers take a month to train. we wont have psionics for at least 52 days. I think we should begin to pursue personal armor in the meantime and switch to psi amp when we are 15 days away from the end of the soldier's training.

The vote is up to you though. What shall we research next?

and where are all the freaking aliens?!

also: mind probe is now a usable item. I will allow anyone who is not already using a special item the option to request a mind probe. you may also request to switch to a mind probe if you wish. though to be honest, they are not all that awesome. they will be useful for trying to get a navigator but those are usually always near the controls of the ship. They are usually good for getting a sectoid leader XD.

a list of soldiers with special equipment:
Sarah Newman: spare rockets
Anya Snow: med-kit
Hugh Mann: med-kit
Roll Fizzlebeef: med-kit
Steve's clone: med-kit

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 26, 2010, 01:37:21 am »

Ashely would like a medkit. Those things are damn useful.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2010, 02:28:07 am »

I'll take a mind probe because it would not fit my character's character to do otherwise.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 26, 2010, 05:04:28 am »

If I am a sergeant now I should probably carry a med-kit or something to look after a team with. But to be honest, carrying the baggage sounds like the sort of thing that delegation was made for...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2010, 08:21:32 am »

I'll take some explosive round next time. Not as my entire load out, just as a source of more dakka if a time of peril arises.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:57 am »

I'll take some explosive round next time. Not as my entire load out, just as a source of more dakka if a time of peril arises.

a clip of high explosive rounds is already part of gogandantess' load-out. he carries 2 AP clips and 1 HE clip along with a flare on night missions
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67