Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Common "Mistakes" People Make About Things in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 28547 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Common "Mistakes" People Make About Things in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 11:54:38 pm »

you can't just do things half-assed and expect the fort to build itself, dwarves are too stupid for that and will chase a !!Pig tail sock!! being dragged away by a burning rhesus macaque rather than get food they need.

I'm tempted to make that my sig.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 07:05:10 am »

you can't just do things half-assed and expect the fort to build itself

Strangely enough I often do just that. A bit of managing at the beginning, a bit of hussle with labor preferences of migrants, and then I only give production and construction orders without even thinking of things like burning monkeys. Or burning dwarves.

Resolution: MY dwarves are smarter than yours!  ;D
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 08:45:17 am »

Thinking that hunting and fishing are about feeding your fortress when in practical terms they're really about getting rid of dwarves you don't want.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:37 am »

My first mistake was to belive that I could subsist solely on hunting and didn't need farms. It actually went pretty well for a player's first fortress, and the vast mineral wealth of my location meant I could buy two years of food off of the caravans when they went by.

Thinking that more than one trade depot would increase the amount of stuff merchants bring to me.

Thinking wood floats.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 09:25:12 am »

At first I had carps in river and thought "Oh I will have nice fishies for dinner!"

I was very wrong.

Also, I thought that Elves will be... relatively peaceful and good.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 11:22:24 am »

My interpretation on the creatures of DF are similar to the other posts, but slightly different.

I think dwarves were the first creatures, made in tandum to the Earth (Or planet that they are on) megabeasts and demons.  That is why they are always underground.  It is their place of origin.  Neutral mortal creatures that work with the earth.

Then came elves.  The elves came from the trees and consider them their ancestors (Would you kill your grandma?) and protect them fiercely.  If they die naturally then they will use them to avoid waste and so they can treat the dead wood with respect and dignity instead of someone else who would use it as firewood.  They dislike dwarves and humans because they don't have the proper show of respect when crafting the wood and it shows.  The fact that they allow humans and dwarves to chop down a couple dozen trees before declaring war is an amazing compromise in their eyes and see humans and dwarves as stubborn and disrespectful.

The cannibalism is not evil or good, purely efficiency.  Why waste fresh meat and bones?  It's not about honoring some god.  They just don't like waste.  (I frankly have the same real life view (Not that I actually do it, the illegality of it is pretty steep...)

Goblins were elves that were corrupted by demons or megabeasts.  They respect strength and are general jerks to everyone.  They feel they have to throw themselves at others and the survivor is the one most deserving to live.  They also tend to be cowards and run when they get scared.  They tend to have low self-esteem due to their convincing themselves they shouldn't be alive after battle.  The demons manipulate this to stay in power and further reinforce this belief.  The goblins willingly accept their leadership not because they like them, respect them or even want them to be in charge but because they feel they have no choice.  Rather pitiful really.

Humans were dwarves that left the earth near the beginning and learned to work the land and forgot how to work the earth.  They are almost always on friendly terms with dwarves because they are kindred spirits, but not kindred enough to never have war with them.  They just generally agree on stuff and have no need to fight.  They also like to drink with the dwarves a lot...

Kobolds are bastard children of interbreeding.  Rejected by everyone and to dis-formed to have a consistent means of income they tend to resort to stealing.  It isn't out of malicious that they steal, merely necessity.  If a concentrated effort to teach them how to provide for themselves was made by one of the races then they may stop stealing and become a more respectable race, but until then they have to steal to survive.

Demons are manipulative demi-gods.  They were cast out of the heavens for being too weak or getting on the rwrong side of one of the higher gods and were banished to earth.  Since they can't get back they want to at least be in control on earth.

Ya, I tend to feel more sympathetic to most of the creatures and try not to think of them in black and white or good and evil...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 11:36:40 am »

People thinking that Kobolds are like Kobolds in D&D. People thinking that elves are like Elves in D&D.
People thinking and D&D in the same sentence in general.

You guys don't really -RESPECT- the Kobold. Like the elves, he has a carefree attitude. Unlike the elves, he is not filled with self-loathing enough that he has to justify his actions by eating people.
He learns of an item he wants (Hey, fortress B has IRON daggers!) and he takes it!
More importantly, they can create copper daggers without any mining or forging industry at all!
You all think Elves are neat? Corpse-eating elves? Or the finicky humans, who can't seem to make up their mind on what they want to do? Or the mentally instable dwarves with their insane projects?
No. It's the Kobolds, who can spawn copper daggers out of the air, who can...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I add "Think too little of Kobold" to that list too.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 07:02:48 pm »

I thought that elves would keep bringing me booze.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 08:18:09 pm »

Thinking that plumbing was a good idea.
Thinking that plumbing was a good idea, again.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 09:58:02 pm »

Plumbing is a good idea.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:35 pm »

Plumbing is a good idea.

Not when it causes FPS issues.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:56 pm »

Plumbing is a good idea.

Or flooding, or drowning, or somehow carp invade my fortress.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »

Plumbing is a good idea.

Or flooding, or drowning, or somehow carp invade my fortress.

Then it's a great idea!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 01:13:14 am »

- Thinking people would understand the genius of making Beak Dogs into squigs.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Pathos

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 07:40:40 am »

- Thinking people would understand the genius of making Beak Dogs into squigs.

Dude, you so need to make squigs for the next version.

BOUNCING GREEN BALLS OF FUN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5