Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Using DF in school, part two.  (Read 5203 times)

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using DF in school, part two.
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:30:49 am »

Some of you may have seen this thread I posted last year:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25569.60

It was a success, and they got a lot from it. The most excellent part was when their hunter drowned, and it left them with no sensible source of food as all the other dwarves were useless at it and were just getting eaten by the wolves.

Well, I'm doing it again!

However, last time I just used the base game as I couldn't suss out how to edit the files. I was wondering if someone could help me with a few things. I am absolutely awful with modding and editing things - so if you can help I would really appreciate you writing it in a simple style that doesn't assume I know anything at all:

1. I want to make the dwarves into humans.
2. I want to remove the fantasy creatures like unicorns, skeletal elephants etc. but keep in wolves, deer.

Can anyone help?

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
Re: Using DF in school, part two.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:49:39 am »

Do you still want something goblinesque that would send snatchers, ambushes and sieges?

As for the second question, open df_28_181_40d_s\raw\objects and check every creature_*.txt files removing the ones you don't want to.

ED: And if you don't want any intelligent races beside humans change your entity_default.txt file into this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:53:19 am by Shintaro Fago »

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:53:02 am »

For the first one all you've got to do is find is [CREATURE:DWARF] tag and replace DWARF with HUMAN, do the same for the elves and goblins if you aren't planning on keeping them around.

The second will require you to delete their entries in the raws manually, you will also have to add [CANNOT_UNDEAD] to every creature you plan to keep, you will probably also want to use a custom set of map parameters to disallow good/evil areas.

I hope this helps.
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:15:00 am »

I suggest simply renaming the entities to names of human civilizations, and changing their creature entries to Human. You'll get all of the varied behavior without the fantasy elements.

Moods will still occur, but the products are not magical so that isn't a problem.

You should probably just choose an embark site that is in a very mundane biome. That will allow you to avoid all fantasy creatures with zero editing. To be extra-certain that your students don't invoke an elf imaginary human civilization siege riding unicorns, or a goblin other imaginary civilization siege riding beak dogs, you can edit those out.

You may want to remove underground plants and avoid areas with magma, in order to avoid the more absurd features such as high-speed mushroom farming and impossible magma smelting.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:47 am »

Hmm, a mundane mod? May be worth a try...

By the way, if you want various civilizations of humans, check my DF Genesis mod, it has: theutons (europe), nippon (far east), norse (scandinavia), ahrabim (middle east), nubians (africa); they have some differences in stats and very different equipment, and every race has different graphic sets, fully complete:

(some graphics of those races, as you see I tried to make them to look distinct)
The main goal of that mod was my intention to make subraces more interesting. Because the devil is in the details ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:13 am »

This sounds like an awesome idea to me. Dwarf Fortress has good potential to be used as an educational tool.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:51:17 am »

And don't forget to use Dig Deeper mod to educate them how hard and diverse the real fantasy world is :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:07:18 am »

Hmm, a mundane mod? May be worth a try...

By the way, if you want various civilizations of humans, check my DF Genesis mod, it has: theutons (europe), nippon (far east), norse (scandinavia), ahrabim (middle east), nubians (africa); they have some differences in stats and very different equipment, and every race has different graphic sets, fully complete:

(some graphics of those races, as you see I tried to make them to look distinct)
The main goal of that mod was my intention to make subraces more interesting. Because the devil is in the details ;).

Absolutely wonderful. He/she should have all of the tools and advice he/she needs to succeed now!
The sigs topic:

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 09:31:46 am »

This is brilliant, chaps. We'll be doing journal entries from the points of view of the settlers, so I'll make sure to upload any amusing or interesting ones.

Now to begin the editing and hope I don't screw up!

Thanks!

edit: Sorry, forgot to respond to the guy up there. No, I don't want snatcher, seiges or anything. For now!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:33:42 am by Rathen »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:53:00 am »

And don't forget to use Dig Deeper mod to educate them how hard and diverse the real fantasy world is :P.

Oh shush you :P *grin*.

You can't let the kids use Dig Deeper... They'll be scarred for life the first time they encounter a Giant Cave Spider Queen and proceed to watch her use Urist McUrist as a toothpick.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:16:56 am »

Well, that wasn't so hard.

Have found them a nice embark place, given them a huge amount of wood and named the humans accordingly.

Our topic is settlements so this is why we're using the software - it's the best thing out there that can show the hardships of starting a new place from scratch. They will not be allowed to dig, so it's going to be very interesting indeed!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:39:48 am »

You can disable the mining labor if you don't want them to dig at all (even for stone or ore). Just remove any unwanted jobs in the dwarves' entity entry. Editing entities requires a new worldgen of course.
The sigs topic:

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 10:44:19 am »

Well, that wasn't so hard.

Have found them a nice embark place, given them a huge amount of wood and named the humans accordingly.

Our topic is settlements so this is why we're using the software - it's the best thing out there that can show the hardships of starting a new place from scratch. They will not be allowed to dig, so it's going to be very interesting indeed!
You can disable the mining labor if you don't want them to dig at all (even for stone or ore). Just remove any unwanted jobs in the dwarves' entity entry. Editing entities requires a new worldgen of course.

If you leave in picks, I think you may still end up with miners arriving and bringing picks with them, even if it is disabled. I know that the kobold mod folk ran into something like this with odd removed jobs.

I kind of like the idea of a Mundane Mod. I thought removing certain tags removed the ability to have moods.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 10:48:40 am »

No, but it's in the /data/init/init.txt

Set [ARTIFACTS:NO] and there won't be moods.

Also you can set [INVADERS:NO] to get rid of goblin sieges.

And you can set [ECONOMY:NO] to get rid of a very weird dwarven economy (which I love :P).

And you can avoid "dwarven justice" if you don't appoint a "sheriff" noble.

I hope it helps ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:52:10 am »

Also answering the:
Hey guys,

I hope this is in the right place! Basically, I'm a huge DF fan and have played it since 2D. I've just begun teaching a class of 8/9 year olds and we've actually been playing DF for a few hours to show how people settle in a new area. We've found that if you ignore the fantasy aspect and find a decent biome with wolves rather than goblins etc. it's an excellent simulator of the strife people go through when they start in a new place - needing water, shelter, food etc.

That said, I'm having to supervise it carefully to avoid seeing dwarves being torn from limb to limb. As much as I don't think it would ruin the kids, I'm not sure those in charge of me would be too thrilled to hear about how Settler 1 lost both his legs. Sure, it's realistic, but I'd prefer not to have it on the screen in graphics.

What I'm asking is twofold:

1. Is there a way to turn blood/chunks off? We're in a peaceful area which means the biggest threat is basically wolves, but they can still cause major issues!
2. Can you play "Human Fortress" by swapping sprites/graphics/raws to have humans instead of dwarves under your control? I'm trying to get them to focus on "Ok this is tough to do" rather than "HAHAH DWARVES COME ON LEGOLAS".

Any suggestions?

You can make it less "graphic" by:

1) add [BLOODTYPE:0] (zero) to dwarves to make their blood "black", and it's not called blood anymore (I think it's "goo").
2) Replace the chunk/bodypart tile in the /data/art/whatever.bmp (the tileset you're using) with something like an empty tile or a single dot to remove it's appearance as a piece/bone.
3) You could "simplify" dwarves by changing their bodies to "[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE]". You should add [NOBREATHE] and [NOTHOUGHT] though to avoid their death because they have no lungs or brain.
4) You can add [NOBLEED] to each creature. It will make them much tougher (actually insanely tougher) but it would remove the blood from them alltogether.

P.S. If you could send the whole "what do you want" I could make a mod for you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:55:12 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2 3