Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Unfortunate Accidents"  (Read 3191 times)

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
Re: "Unfortunate Accidents"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 10:27:03 pm »

Just tried the OPs technique...it...didn't quite go as planned. Upon yanking the lever the room dropped 1 z-level and flash vaporized on contact with the magma while creating a gigantic dust cloud that also knocked a passing fisherdwarf into the magma...Total damage?

The Duchess
The Fisherdwarf
7 of the Duchess' 9 children (would've been all nine if she had been a little slower on the pull)

;D ;D ;D
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 11:25:16 pm »

Noble is taken to his tomb, which consists of a magma-proof room with a zinc coffin and all of the former leader's pets chained up. The successor who came a few months later pulled the lever to flood the room with magma, the corpse boiling alive along with the burning pets, then the room was drained to repurpose the room for another noble who got on my shit list.

Weird, that's what I for my legendary dwarfs, I can think of no better reward than being buried in magma for all of time.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 11:38:11 pm »

I've never killed a noble on purpose.

Mostly because my fort's don't last long enough to get nobles.

I did once, however, accidentally kill the Dungeon Master by dropping a ceiling on his head.

He wasn't the only one...it was an accident, I swear. I was bored and decided to collapse hills for fun. I didn't know crashing a hill on top of your fort would cause it to smash down more than one level INTO the fort...

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:04 pm »

I didn't know crashing a hill on top of your fort would cause it to smash down more than one level INTO the fort...

You sir, have learned one of your first true lessons about Dwarf Fortress...it's something we've ALL been through, usually ending up with the mayor sitting down to work in his study deep under the earth only to have an elephant land in his lap several seconds later.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »

I didn't know crashing a hill on top of your fort would cause it to smash down more than one level INTO the fort...

You sir, have learned one of your first true lessons about Dwarf Fortress...it's something we've ALL been through, usually ending up with the mayor sitting down to work in his study deep under the earth only to have an elephant land in his lap several seconds later.
It was a while ago. I've learned since then. (Learned it's a good way to kill a fort, at least...)

All I remember is that it landed on the food stockpile, and the refuse stockpile, some dwarves, and the Dungeon Master, whose tomb had just been finished at the time so at least there was place to drag his flattened corpse to.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »

Just tried the OPs technique...it...didn't quite go as planned. Upon yanking the lever the room dropped 1 z-level and flash vaporized on contact with the magma while creating a gigantic dust cloud that also knocked a passing fisherdwarf into the magma...Total damage?

The Duchess
The Fisherdwarf
7 of the Duchess' 9 children (would've been all nine if she had been a little slower on the pull)

;D ;D ;D
it may have instantly vaporized because one piece of the room hit a natural wall below by the magma pipe instantly reverting the construction back into raw materials (which arent magma proof) and creating the dust cloud you mentioned, you might want to be careful of that for future reference.  i learned this lesson when i caved an entire human civilization into an aquifer.... ;D

also
I was bored and decided to collapse hills for fun.
i collapse everything for fun. cave-ins are kindof my specialty.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:20:24 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 03:03:29 pm »

I'm seriously considering giving my baron a legendary bedroom.
Over the carp-infested river.
His room will have the floor made of clear glass, allowing him to gloat over the deadly fish.
Too bad I haven't got enough glass right now, guess I'll just leave the floor plartly unfinished.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 03:05:26 pm »

I'm seriously considering giving my baron a legendary bedroom.
Over the carp-infested river.
His room will have the floor made of clear glass, allowing him to gloat over the deadly fish.
Too bad I haven't got enough glass right now, guess I'll just leave the floor plartly unfinished.
It's not like he'll get close enough for the fish to drag him in...

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 03:06:18 pm »

What if the holes are all around his masterwork bed?

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 03:11:04 pm »

What if the holes are all around his masterwork bed?
Weeeeeeell, maybe.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »

My totally useless fine noble also had an unfortunate accident..

Said noble was a baroness, who, not content with constantly changing prices of goods, decided that she wanted to ban the export of clothes (which where the main thing i bought caravans crap useful goods with.

This was bad enough, but then she decided she wanted some petty crafts made with a metal i don't have, nor will get. I was consigned to my fate when said noble had a fortunate horrible accident.

It was like any other day, and the baroness, was walking past the catapult/ ballista range, when she saw something that entranced her.. There, in the middle of a range stood a fine rock lever, that she just felt compelled to pull and pull!

Then, imagine my glee shock when half the fortress suddenly felt compelled to run to the range and fire every single siege weapon, while the baroness was still pulling that lever!

Fate was cruel to the baroness that day, and tragically she died after sustaining a ballista wound to her whole body! even better] worse, one of the baronesses many children had wandered onto the range in search of it's recently bisected mother, and was killed as well!

It is of no relevance that the operators who fired the fatal shot(s) somehow inherited the baronesses lush living quarters..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:19:39 pm by mattyb3 »
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 05:54:00 pm »

If my tax collecter spams me one more time by changing the prices of goods, which he does fifty times a day, i am seriously going to change his name to King Mitis and wall him inside an all gold dining room and let him discover the irony of his new name.....
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »

If my tax collecter spams me one more time by changing the prices of goods, which he does fifty times a day, i am seriously going to change his name to King Mitis and wall him inside an all gold dining room and let him discover the irony of his new name.....
Better yet, name him Fortunato and wall him in amidst your booze stockpile. I can just imagine him yelling "For the love of God, Montresor!"

Pigtail Cloth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »

Better yet, name him Fortunato and wall him in amidst your booze stockpile. I can just imagine him yelling "For the love of God, Montresor!"

Nono, Water stockpile.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 07:07:07 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:39:02 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 [2] 3