Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44

Author Topic: Ex Cathedra [BMIX]: Sunrise  (Read 96565 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia IX, Day 1: Two knights walk into a bar...
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2010, 07:56:05 pm »

I'm doubting myself now. I'm positively fuming at Org's claim, but I still think he's town. The only way to be sure is to lynch him, but with more suspicious characters around I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.  :-\

Meh, Org is right about not wanting to lynch town. Unvote (Org).

I take back my request for day shortening.
Halmie probably needs a prod.

Org:
-Why on earth did you claim scum?Die faster.
-Why did you say Bayer is your partner?WIFOM to die faster
-Why did you say Rolan is town in that post? Same as 2
-If you don't want to be lynched (you still seem to be defending yourself), why are you still voting for yourself? I unvoted, voted ROlan

Siquo:
Are you voting Rolan only based on gut feeling? Any other reasons?

HFS, Spitfire and quinnr:
-Could you state your reasons for voting Org? Any particular behaviour that strikes you as scummy?
-What are your thoughts on the other players?

SirBayer:
I ask yet again, is Org generally inclined to post more as scum than as town, or is this new?
it used to be, but now I post more so I dont get a lower attendance rank
Rolan:
-You previously said you were 100% sure that Org is scum, based on overreaction. Are you still convinced of this?

I hope I'll see enough of a response to make a more informed choice before the day ends or I pass out. Still, that headache ought to keep me awake for a while.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2010, 08:04:32 pm »

Rolan:
-You previously said you were 100% sure that Org is scum, based on overreaction. Are you still convinced of this?

I never said that at all.  I initially tried to pardon Org's obscene, childish reactions as being his playing style.  Eventually I decided that he was so counterproductive that, scum or not, he needed to die.  And I do think he is probably scum, since he's an experienced player and I can't imagine such a useless townie being a mafia regular.

I mean, don't you see how crazy he's being?  Claiming scum was stupid, yeah, but I mean the way he ignores everything everyone says and just constantly orders us to stop voting him!  THAT IS NOT HOW A TOWNIE WORKS.

Oh look, Org just posted nothing but a quote of JaaSwb's post.  Adding nothing.  What a valuable team member!  What a contributor!  What a non-buddyer!  What a nice person who doesn't constantly call us morons and try to bluster his way out of the hole he threw himself into!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:34 pm »

Rolan:

I never said that at all.  I initially tried to pardon Org's obscene, childish reactions as being his playing style.  Eventually I decided that he was so counterproductive that, scum or not, he needed to die.  And I do think he is probably scum, since he's an experienced player and I can't imagine such a useless townie being a mafia regular.

I mean, don't you see how crazy he's being?  Claiming scum was stupid, yeah, but I mean the way he ignores everything everyone says and just constantly orders us to stop voting him!  THAT IS NOT HOW A TOWNIE WORKS.

Oh look, Org just posted nothing but a quote of JaaSwb's post.  Adding nothing.  What a valuable team member!  What a contributor!  What a non-buddyer!  What a nice person who doesn't constantly call us morons and try to bluster his way out of the hole he threw himself into!
Why are you not hunting? Not produvtive? Hmmm...lets see. I think I have hunted, maybe jsut a litle, but more than you. You have tunneled. Tunneling is not good.
I actually answered his questions in the quote, but forgot to bold it. Sorry JaaSwb.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »

I'm doubting myself now. I'm positively fuming at Org's claim, but I still think he's town. The only way to be sure is to lynch him, but with more suspicious characters around I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.  :-\

Meh, Org is right about not wanting to lynch town. Unvote (Org).

I take back my request for day shortening.
Halmie probably needs a prod.

Org:
-Why on earth did you claim scum?Die faster.
-Why did you say Bayer is your partner?WIFOM to die faster
-Why did you say Rolan is town in that post? Same as 2
-If you don't want to be lynched (you still seem to be defending yourself), why are you still voting for yourself? I unvoted, voted ROlan

Siquo:
Are you voting Rolan only based on gut feeling? Any other reasons?

HFS, Spitfire and quinnr:
-Could you state your reasons for voting Org? Any particular behaviour that strikes you as scummy?
-What are your thoughts on the other players?

SirBayer:
I ask yet again, is Org generally inclined to post more as scum than as town, or is this new?
it used to be, but now I post more so I dont get a lower attendance rank
Rolan:

I hope I'll see enough of a response to make a more informed choice before the day ends or I pass out. Still, that headache ought to keep me awake for a while.
Also, Rolan is freaking out and is really defensive and deflecting.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »

True fact: Voting to lynch someone you don't believe to be scum is a BAD IDEA. It's scummy, it's counterproductive, and wasting a free lynch on removing someone you just don't like is stupid.

So help me, if any of you EVER is in a game I'm in while I'm town and you say, "Player X isn't scum but he's so counterproductive we should lynch him," my vote will be on you so fast your head will spin.

Just being helpful.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:31 pm »

I missed it too, at first.

Rolan:

Do you want me to quote it? It was based on Org overreacting to the pressure you were putting on him.

Yes, Org has been around for quite a while. I'd be blind to deny that he's acting completely bonkers. Problem is, as far as I can tell he always acts completely bonkers, and pretty much ignores what other people do and say. I only see an unusually high level of activity / length of posts. But that's something I think Org doesn't do even as scum.

If it's obvious Org's scum, I'm just not seeing it :/ You, however seem to be jumping all over the place. Last time I played with you (Aztec), you were so obviously town it hurt.
The fish are watching.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »

Org is hunting, and most others are not. Including me.

Unvote, for all the good it will do. Org, however suspicious, has just lowered a lot on my Suspicion list. He rates a 10.1 on a scale of 1-5 on my annoying-list however, with the use of caps. That's no reason to vote for someone though. I have noticed quite a few people voting without any reasoning behind it. Heck, I usually do that, and just go by my gut feelings. Which have been correct 100% of the time, so far. (Two out of two ;) )

My gut feeling still sais Rolan, but I've nothing concrete on him. At all. YET. So there's my final vote, I'm off to sleep. My gut is telling me it's hungry that Org probably is town.

Way to buddy.

BUt its not a bandwagon if we have good reasons!

See?  This?  This is why I want you dead Org.  Wtf are you trying to say?  Are you joking about how much of a bandwagon Siquo's post is, since his ONLY reason at this point is a gut feeling?  Or are you seriously claiming that this isn't bandwagoning?  WHO KNOWS?
I'm sick of trying to figure out what you're attempting, and failing, to communicate.

Why are you not hunting? Not produvtive? Hmmm...lets see. I think I have hunted, maybe jsut a litle, but more than you. You have tunneled. Tunneling is not good.
I actually answered his questions in the quote, but forgot to bold it. Sorry JaaSwb.

Oh?  Where's your list of the players, with your opinion of each one beside it?  What are you second and third choices, with detailed explanations given?  After your first vote, yourself, I mean.  Self-voting is the ultimate unproductive move, and yes I know you've changed it now that people are wavering.

Also, Rolan is freaking out and is really defensive and deflecting.

Quote from: Org
EVERYONE DAY SHORTEN. KILL ME SOONER.

JaaSwb: Do you agree Org would obviously be scum if you didn't "know he was always acts this way"?  I don't have that meta.  I shouldn't need that meta, this is a beginner mafia.  It's ridiculous to pardon all Org's scum tells just because he's very bad at looking town.

I was obviously town in Aztec Mafia because it was a breakable game, and I broadcast the way to break it for town.

Pandar: I do think Org is scum.  I also think that, if I'm wrong, we'll at least be down a counterproductive townie.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:52 pm »

It was a general statement. Not directed at a particular person. If I haven't something to say to one person I'll PM it.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »

How was Aztec Mafia breakable?
Webadict was able to fakeclaim, and still would have won even if he didnt have the artifact.

Siquo was somewhat buddying, and it was somewhat sarcasm. I have good reasons, most of his is just gut.

Well, Im going to die! I listed who i would vote though. Sir Bayer after you, and then Siquo.

I am not bad at looking town, town is bad at looking Org.

MOD PROD HALMIE

Please and thank you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2010, 12:00:50 am »

For those who were worried, Halmie has been prodded.  He has 48 hours before he receives another (since I'm not counting night).

Votecount

Org [6] - SirBayer, spitfire684, HFS, quinnr, Rolan7, Org
spitfire684 [1] - Halmie
Rolan7 [2] - Siquo, JaaSwb

Please note that the unvotes in red rule is extremely strict.  If you don't unvote, your vote will not change.

Good lord, you people talk a lot.  I'm hoping I'll be able to make future writeups shorter, but this one ended up being quite long thanks to the sudden explosion of activity (good lord, it's incredibly long).  Anyway, back to our story...

"Yes, indeed... a dead man's last words speak louder than thunder's tumultuous roar," Pandarsenic continues.  "For some reason mortals forget that they must still examine what he said, not only the volume at which he spoke it.  It is for this reason that humans are weak.  They believe stormy speeches beyond reason and shouted words beyond telling silences.  They cannot read the whispers."

"They cannot read the whispers, but they can read between the words," says Dakarian.  "They heard him loud and clear, as over and over again he shouted:

'I am Org the Leper, and I am innocent!  My hands may rot, my fingers bare polished bone.  My face may rot, my skin slimy shreds.  My youth may rot, but I tell you this--there is a balance, and my will is pure!'

He cried and gnashed his teeth in impotent rage, flinging himself against the ornate stonework.  His diseased body bruised and broke and bled, and still he fought those encroaching swarms.  He could hardly hold himself upright, and yet he fought.

'I am... Org... the Leper, and I am innocent!' he shouted again with gasping raspy breath.  'The winters are cold, and I have never been loved--but I tell you that I am not weak like the rest of you!  Though I am pained from my bones to the depths of my soul, I would never fall for myths and dreams.  I live apart from you, but I am no villain.'"

"And then," said Pandarsenic, "A very old man stepped forward, and for a moment silence returned.  They held Org's stumps of arms and covered his gaping slit of a mouth with their sweaty hands, waiting for this one to talk.  You see, they had a very odd notion of respect.  They did not listen to the young man, aged by disease.  They listened to the old man, preserved by years of happiness."

"They listened to the sage wizened by his years.  They ignored the young man embittered by his experiences."

"They stood aside for that old wretch, who walked slowly with the use of an ironwood cane--and finally said:

'I am the Lord thy God.  Thou shalt have no other god before me.'

His wrinkled lips turned up in a smile, and his eyes shone bright--as every liar's do."

"And... was he such a--"

"Pay attention!"  Pandarsenic says.  "Do you think God in heaven would stoop to such games in his condemnation of mortal man?"

"Pay attention," Dakarian mutters.  "Surely there is no God in heaven who would condone what befell Org the Leper at the hands of mortal men."

"No," says Pandarsenic.  "We can tell you this with frankness and no repartee of wit--he was not God, but a mere man of somewhat tricksterish spirit.  He cut a sparse figure in tattered gray robes, who could hardly walk on his own two feet without the cane and Dakarian, here, supporting him.  He stroked his yellow beard with cracked and aged hands, saying this:

'I am Rolan the Sage, young man, wise beyond all measure.  Though my will is pure and my intentions true, I cannot say the same of you.'

And after these impenetrable and well-formed statements (for this man was indeed a shining jewel of human wisdom), he turned and faded into the turbulent crowd."

"They believed him," said Dakarian, "and then Org the Leper died."

There is a steady silence as they wait and watch one another's faces.  Pandarsenic downs a river of ale, his hands free of tremors.  His forehead is scarred along the hairline, but still he seems youthful, his eyes sharp and glimmering ice.  From time to time he smiles, as though to himself, and stares into the distance.  His presence is a domineering one.  He consumes the room with his gaze.

Dakarian speaks a river of tremulous words, his second tankard mostly untouched.  As he gestures to paint expanses between his empty arms, his widespread fingers reveal palms scarred red from years of steady study of the sword.  From time to time he frowns, as though to himself, and peers hard into Aureliusz Vektor's worn face.  His presence is a gentle one.  He fades into the background with his infrequent and unsteady smile.

As for Vektor, he is quiet and thinks over what he has heard--still remembering, always remembering, as though memory might defend him from any horrors he hears here.  He is pleased well enough to listen to these two knights and their sugarspun tale of death, morality, and madness, though he can hardly believe it is real.

"Well," says Pandarsenic at last, "aren't you going to ask what happened next?"

"Well," says Dakarian at last, "aren't you going to ask if he was guilty or innocent?"

"No," says Aureliusz Vektor after a pause.  "I ask and you refuse.  I am sure and you confuse.  I think clean and you--pfaugh!  Język przeklęty!  Mówię sens i można rzygać szaleństwo!  A ponadto, pijesz moje piwo!"

"Dear friend," says Dakarian, "you are mad."

"Funny," says Pandarsenic.  "That returns us to our story.  I'm sure you're glad to hear it."

"So happy," says Vektor, shaking his head.  "So happy I could die."

"Org the Leper made a final stand," says Dakarian, ignoring him.  "He continued to shout, but his pleas fell on deaf ears.  He told them he was innocent.  He told them he was a villain.  He told them whatever he could to escape his death and further pain--until finally, Rolan the Sage said this:

'Dear friend, you are mad.'

'Mad?' cried Org, reddened foam flecking his lips.  'Mad?  You have to be mad to stand by and watch the death of the pure of heart.  That is true madness!  That is true villainy!  As for me, I will tell you only this:

'For the last time, I am Org the Leper!  I am innocence!  Kill me, O you men of evil heart, and despair of my curses!'"

"Five of those good and honorable men fell upon his body and held him down," says Pandarsenic.  His smile is cold and his eyes shine in the telling.  "They unwrapped his bandages, ripped away giblets of rotten flesh, and he screamed and wept and choked on his spit.

'Oh dear God in heaven,' he cried, his miserable groans echoing around the cathedral's heaven-spanning vault.  'Oh if there is a God, please let me die!'

He struggled and sobbed as they exhumed his rotten corpse, and in the end he helped them unravel the dirty linen to reveal the putrid fly-bitten flesh.  He was Org the Leper indeed--no question of it--and as he lay there naked for all to see, they beat him to death with swift kicks and wooden legs broken from the cathedral's benches.

'Merciful heaven,' he said in his dying breath, and lay there in a pile of ruined humanity and soiled cloth.

'He was innocent,' I told them all, 'and you--you were the ones to kill him.'

Those venerable, noble men dragged his battered corpse to the catacomb stairs, throwing him down to be forever forgotten."

Spoiler: Org the Leper (click to show/hide)

Org the Leper, Innocent, has been lynched.  You have 24 hours to send in your night actions.  Day 2 will begin on Thursday at 6:00 AM Board Time.

Symbolism.  Like a goddamned sledgehammer.  Symbolism.

Also, I am sorry, but God will not be featuring in this game.  I am the Lord thy Mod, and I have so spoken.

Also also, I am sorry, but you will need to go to a translator if you want to understand Vektor's occasional frustrated Polish (or perhaps if you want to read multiple statements something along the lines of "ERROR--NO TRANSLATION AVAILABLE."  I don't speak Polish).

Also also also, I am sorry for the incredibly disgusting lynch scene.  They will not generally be this bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:06:47 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia IX, Day Two: Bloody Water and Seven Lights
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2010, 05:46:55 am »

With a new day, a new beginning... and slightly less flavortext, because I am incredibly exhausted.  This will be altered when I am less tired, because I am not entirely pleased with it.

EDIT: Yeah, that was terrible.  It's been fixed for wording, poor referencing, and the general crapola that comes of being high on math.  You probably really want to reread this one, because it's completely different.

"I must go to feed Mischka," says Aureliusz Vektor, and walks away from the counter.  He feels tired and ill and old, though he spent but a handful of hours listening to what seems a very long story.  Wanting something to do with his hands, he tightens the ropes on his bed and smooths down the bright patchwork quilt Anna sewed.  He fears he will do something stupid with those shaking snow-worn hands if he does not keep them busy.

He sits there for a moment, looking at the closed oaken door that leads back to the waiting knights.  They cannot be blamed for this.  He accepted their payment, and now he must receive it--perhaps only in a fit of stubbornness, but he will take something from them for all the ale they quaff.  He wants nothing more but to bar the door and sleep, to forget what they have said of men and what they have not, to never hear what they have yet to say.  In considering this proposition, however, he finds he knows himself too well.  He will lie down, rest his hot face on the pillow, and say farewell to the ever-absent Anna.  He will lie there, turning and waiting and staring at the ceiling, wishing for sleep for hour after unsteady hour.  He will pace over the halls of distant memory to commemorate other great stone buildings and other suffering men, and his hands will shake and shake as he remembers the snow.

Then he will stand up, as he is doing now, and open the door, as he is doing now, and say:

"Mischka is very hungry kyet."  He is certain his smile seems forced, but so it goes.  "She eats all my profit.  Now, tell the rest of your story."

"It's only fair, since you plan to eat her," says Pandarsenic.  "But I digress.  Those men who still lived after their pleasant slaughter smiled and laughed, for they had suffered no great pain.  They laughed tears into their eyes and grimaces onto their paled faces."

"Those men grimaced and groaned, for had suffered great pain," says Dakarian.  "They wept for the passing of an innocent man."

"They wept for the passing of their own purported innocence, and in thinking of themselves forgot their victim.  He fell from memory moments after death--for if all ignored his ravings while he still shouted them from foaming bitten lips, why would they care for them after he perished?  His mournful howls were full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

"Life's a walking shadow," says Dakarian.  "They recognized that truth, in that frozen, guilty moment before sleeping, and each lit a candle at the altar.  The burning glow flickered over the sheer walls and fine stonework, illuminating each other's faces.  They were comforted by that soft and glowing light, which sharpened their teartracks and lined cheeks; they were all the same in that moment, innocents and villains alike.  They still lived, even if they had done a great evil--so they rejoiced, to be alive and well enough to live another day."

"They rejoiced, to be alive and well enough to live another day or two," says Pandarsenic.  "They rejoiced prematurely--fools all, who thought they would live forever."

"They rejoiced at the ordained time, for there is no better time for joy than when one is about to face death's skeletal visage--dreamers, all, who thought Pandarsenic holds to promises.  So those dreamers slept and walked in vales of happiness or fear, each praying he would live to see a day when no man died."

"Each prayed he would live until tomorrow, that he might slaughter another 'innocent' man."

Aureliusz Vektor knows his part in the telling of this tale, and so he says: "And did they live to do that thing?"

"All but one," says Dakarian.

"All but two," says Pandarsenic.  "They awoke in the dawn's bright glow to find Rolan the Sage dead by the great cathedral doors, his stomach slashed, his entrails open.  His old and yellow face, wrinkled as parchment, looked to the stone ceiling as though waiting for angels that never came."

"His old and yellow face, wrinkled as parchment, looked to the limestone arches.  On his worn and ancient mouth remained the faintest traces of a smile, as though greeted by a heavenly host.  He left behind the scent of flowers--roses and lilies--as in the passing of a great saint."

"They were pleased to still live, selfish cowards all, and threw him down the stairs to join the leper in his lonely death."

"The holy water was stained scarlet, but seven candles danced light on the high carved ceiling."

Spoiler: Rolan7 the Sage (click to show/hide)

Rolan7 the Sage, Innocent, has been killed in the night.

You have until Midnight on Monday to decide what happened next.  Begin.

Apologies all around to Kurt Vonnegut, William Shakespeare, the creators of Last Exile, the creators of Tales of Symphonia, George Papashvily (should've apologized to you earlier, dude... sorry), Victor Hugo (yeah, yeah, I'm sorry), T.H. White/the propagators of the Arthurian Legend, and William Faulkner.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:59:11 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2010, 07:12:20 am »

OK. I'm back. Sorry for the long absence. About the accusation of active lurking: No. I wasn't. I logged on for about 1 minute before I was kicked off the computer and the power cord hidden. I was doing homework.

I have to say that was one of the least productive day 1's I have seen. Org's massive rampage made it impossible to do any other reasonable scumhunting and my lurking didn't help.

About the "massive buddying":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Out of the living players quinnr and siquo just jumped on the obvious wagon (a null tell becuase of how crazy Org was acting) and scumhunted the least.
Meh.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2010, 09:11:28 am »

Just so you know I'm in a different timezone. This means it's bedtime now. It also means I won't be on for a bit so don't use "waiting for halmie to answer my questions" as an excuse.
Meh.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2010, 11:02:26 am »

Protip: Reread Org's stuff.

You don't know if he was right, but you do know he was sincere, which is more than you can say for any other player in this game.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2010, 11:17:43 am »

Yeah, I plan to go reread it today, when I have time.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44