Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Dig Dwarfier - a fully graphical (modified) Dig Deeper pack for 40d16  (Read 25899 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dig Dwarfier - a fully graphical (modified) Dig Deeper pack for 40d16
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

I had a steel great axe that was bugged. It keeps getting dropped and the dwarf then spent an eternity trying to pick it back up. This wasn't an issue at first, in fact my Woodcutter actually managed to cut down about a hundred trees with it. However, at some point he developed butterfingers and it simply would not stay in his inventory. I tried with multiple dwarves and the result was the same. I even drafted the woodcutter and still the same. In the end I went into the raws and gave it the same stats as a regular axe. It got picked up then.

Seems dwarves have problems with the size of the great axe.

This is a known issue for all large weapons, and I believe it has been posted in the bug report section at least once and such as it affects all versions of DF, modded or not. The general work around seems to be to tell the dwarf to use 2 hands (or 2 weapons) to hold the large weapon.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2010, 06:45:30 am »

So why the removal of the leather bed reactions in 0.8?

Nevermind, I saw why. but wouldn't the granite Anvil require the same thing anyways? (pretty sure it's still a smelter reaction)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:49:42 am by Kaelem Gaen »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:24 am »

Nevermind, I saw why. but wouldn't the granite Anvil require the same thing anyways? (pretty sure it's still a smelter reaction)

I don't know why the beds were removed, enlighten me. Yes the Granite Anvil is a Smelter reaction (seems like it is the same one I came up with ages ago).

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2010, 01:01:48 pm »

I stopped packaging the leather beds just to declutter the smelter menu.  It just wasn't something I used alot, even while kobold camping.  It's pretty trivial to add it back yourself if you'd like to (ditto with Deon's stone beds), so I figured anyone who wanted nonstandard beds would do so anyways.  Couple that with the ability to farm wood via tower husks (buggier than I'd like due to containers), and non-wooden beds seem more optional than necessary.

I kept the granite anvil portion to solve the first anvil paradox.  Also, I wasn't sure if it was even possible to obtain an anvil as kobolds, and on the off chance you wanted to make some no quality weapons with an nonstandard kobold immigrant, there you go.

That it gives people a way to take a big discount on embark is a nice side effect.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2010, 08:28:04 pm »

Ok that makes a lot of sense to me (generally I tend to make my reactions as generic as possible, so I have a generic leather bed variation any leather > cow leather bed, stone bed any stone > obsidian bed, you only get a few reactions that way). I have had 1 map where this would have been useful (desert with no trees) and even then I managed.

The next version with custom workshops will be good for this (I see myself having a pottery/glass shop, orchard/arborist/forester shop, druid grove, blast furnace, refinery, some kind of primitive tech shop (stone/bone/wood tools and equipment not possible any other way), maybe one or two other shops), more shops less clutter in each shop.

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2010, 02:32:22 am »

Had some time for halfhearted spriting tonight.  Did a new mockup for dragons/wyverns, taking color cues from RantingRodents sprites (which are quite good).

Top to bottom: Green, Red, Blue, White, Black, Wyverns. 

Right side: Zombie, Skeleton.  Ignore the eggs, I got bored.

Will probably dink around with it later, but feedback is welcome.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

I didn't like your main tileset, so I created this using Aesomatica_16x16.png. My topic is right here http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50574.0
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2010, 11:56:13 pm »

I didn't like your main tileset, so I created this using Aesomatica_16x16.png. My topic is right here http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50574.0

Looks good, but you have to replace the magenta that got alpha colored around the fonts.  Otherwise it'll show up pinkish.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2010, 12:09:41 am »

I have DFDD with my tileset open right now, there is no difference. No pinkish anything. I didn't touch the fonts at all when I made the tileset, they were like that already. I noticed that they were darker, but I didn't really care. After all, it made no difference in DigDeeperNEW_16x16.png

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:22 am »

I have DFDD with my tileset open right now, there is no difference. No pinkish anything. I didn't touch the fonts at all when I made the tileset, they were like that already. I noticed that they were darker, but I didn't really care. After all, it made no difference in DigDeeperNEW_16x16.png

If it doesn't show up, it doesn't matter I guess.  But the alpha channel around the fonts is different when you're on a transparent background, it gives you a slight translucent effect.  Hence why the packaged tileset was using them.  When you overlay that on magenta, it just makes dark magenta, which the game doesn't treat the same (although apparently it doesn't do anything ugly with it).  Or at least that's what I came to believe, someone else probably knows better.

Anyways, good work.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2010, 01:02:54 am »

I plan to keep it up to date with any new versions.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2010, 08:50:18 am »

Having a lot of fun with this mod which I further modified to give a progression to the enemies instead of throwing Orcs at you when your fort reaches progression:2. It's now Goblins:2, Dark Elves:3, Orcs:4. I also made it so Orcs come in the Summer and Winter and the Dark Elves come in the Spring and Fall. Goblins are year 'round. This is highlighted by the season I played yesterday in which I got a Dark Elf siege and then in the midst of gathering all their donations I got two Goblin ambushes. So still lots of Fun to be had, but also more manageable as opposed to the Orcs coming when the population doesn't even warrant a Sheriff (which has happened).

Anyhoo, I came in with a question so here it is: Weaponsmith gets a secretive mood and make a Maul. However, I cannot figure out how to get one of my Champion Dwarfs to wield it. Any suggestions?
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »

Having a lot of fun with this mod which I further modified to give a progression to the enemies instead of throwing Orcs at you when your fort reaches progression:2. It's now Goblins:2, Dark Elves:3, Orcs:4. I also made it so Orcs come in the Summer and Winter and the Dark Elves come in the Spring and Fall. Goblins are year 'round. This is highlighted by the season I played yesterday in which I got a Dark Elf siege and then in the midst of gathering all their donations I got two Goblin ambushes. So still lots of Fun to be had, but also more manageable as opposed to the Orcs coming when the population doesn't even warrant a Sheriff (which has happened).

Anyhoo, I came in with a question so here it is: Weaponsmith gets a secretive mood and make a Maul. However, I cannot figure out how to get one of my Champion Dwarfs to wield it. Any suggestions?

Enable 2 weapons on him, it's the only way to make them wield 2 handed weapons.

Oddly enough I hadn't put much thought into the entity progression.  I'm implementing your suggestions next patch, they seem balanced enough.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 02:42:36 pm »

I just recently got this to work on my computer, but there's something weird going on. Resizing the window doesn't give any more tiles to view, it just scales the tiles up and down in size. I checked init.txt, and there was no [GRID:] setting, but adding it in as I would to 40d did nothing at all to the problem. Is there any way to change this? I'm using Macintosh OS 10.6.2, and I installed this by taking 40d16 and adding in the Dig Dwarfier files in the manner described in the Dig Deeper download page, as there were no instructions on the Dig Deeper page, and the complete Dig Dwarfier download was Windows-only.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2010, 04:00:03 pm »

I just recently got this to work on my computer, but there's something weird going on. Resizing the window doesn't give any more tiles to view, it just scales the tiles up and down in size. I checked init.txt, and there was no [GRID:] setting, but adding it in as I would to 40d did nothing at all to the problem. Is there any way to change this? I'm using Macintosh OS 10.6.2, and I installed this by taking 40d16 and adding in the Dig Dwarfier files in the manner described in the Dig Deeper download page, as there were no instructions on the Dig Deeper page, and the complete Dig Dwarfier download was Windows-only.

In init.txt, find the line that says [GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:NO] and change it to [GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES].
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9