Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .  (Read 14158 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2010, 07:21:26 pm »

I'm fine with waterboarding, which is technically not torture but a coercive interrogation technique.  The reason I support it is simply that it works.
It's like picking a lock: there's something we need behind a locked door and we have a tool that gets us past it.  If terrorists didn't want to be waterboarded they wouldn't allow themselves to be captured with heads full of actionable intelligence.

I suddenly want to walk into the united states and blow up your house for hearing you say this.  Torture does not give reliable intelligence, McCain and the CIA itself testified to this and so do numerous studies.

Omar Khadr was not deprived of a fair trial
He was a youth at the time of the incident and is a Canadian citizen and thus has the right to a trial in a Canadian Civilian court of law.  A trial by military in which comments spoken during torture can be used against him in court is not a fair trial.  He has also been denied due process, (which is a part of the US Constitution.) by being detained for 6 years without a verdict.

I just did a word search for "Charter" on article 7 of the constitution.  Where exactly does it say it supersedes the U.N. Charter?

Well I'll assume you're right, in that case.  What legal or humane rights does he have?
http://www.amnestyusa.org/document.php?lang=e&id=ENGAMR511842005
Seriously?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:40:24 pm by Qloos »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2010, 07:23:37 pm »

I'm not sure why people think torture would work.  I mean, you could probably get George Bush to "admit" being the mastermind of 9/11 if you waterboarded him enough.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2010, 11:21:03 pm »

Yeah, hearing that bullshit "waterboarding isn't torture" makes my blood boil. There was a news story recently about an army dad who waterboarded his 5 year old daughter because she failed to recite her ABCs... but hey, it isn't torture, it's an enhanced learning technique!

If you're doing something terribly unpleasant to someone like, I don't know, depriving them of breathing and forcing their head underwater, it's fucking torture you idiots.

Not only that, it gives more cannon fodder for our enemies to use against us. We're better than that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:23:17 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2010, 12:22:24 am »

If you're doing something terribly unpleasant to someone like, I don't know, depriving them of breathing and forcing their head underwater, it's fucking torture you idiots.

That is not waterboarding.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IMO it's worse [than what you described].

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2010, 12:29:00 am »

Think of taking a shower upside downs.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:14 am »

IMO it's worse [than what you described].
Hence my metaphor usage of "like". :P My point of their "it's not 'technically' torture! we're just going to make your day really fucking suck in order to get you to talk" is bullshit still stands.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2010, 01:32:20 am »

We're going to make you feel like you are drowning to get you to talk.

Drowning in a cramped space is my absolute worst nightmare by the way.

Drowning is number two. I'm pretty sure that counts as torture, yeah.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2010, 01:55:50 am »

I've nearly drowned 4 times now.

Not afraid of water yet.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2010, 07:54:48 am »

I've never nearly drowned. I've come close, but thankfully I'm an extremely strong swimmer.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »

I'm a pretty good swimmer.
I've never had problems with nearly drowning, but for some reason, I don't float.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2010, 08:05:08 am »

I suddenly want to walk into the united states and blow up your house for hearing you say this
Resolving our political differences with empty threats of violence?  How pathetic.

"it's not 'technically' torture! we're just going to make your day really fucking suck in order to get you to talk" is bullshit still stands
Waterboarding does no permanent physical harm and causes neither "pain" in the classic sense nor lingering ill effects.  Most damaging to your case though is that terrorists can end their coercion at any time by simply telling what they know.  That doesn't rise to the legal definition of "torture", at least not in this neck of the woods.
Perhaps the terrorists should have chosen to attack some other country, one that forbids waterboarding.  Since they know the U.S. is not such a country attacking us anyway is practically begging for a 'boarding.

Omar Khadr ... rights
Most of your misconceptions about Khadr's "rights" can be cleared up by understanding how our Supreme Court has dealt with conflicts between treaties and the Constitution.  The Supreme Court cases Seery v. United States, Diggs v. Schultz, and Reid v. Covert establish the subordination of treaties, granted authority by the Constitution under Article VI, to the remainder of the Constitution.
Take this recent example: America is a signatory to the U.N. Charter.  The U.N., under pressure from the Organization of the Islamic Conference, adopted a resolution censoring religious speech.  In America that resolution is nullified by the First Amendment to our Constitution, which grants freedom of speech and religion.  (We've also made explicit reservations to the Charter, but never mind that.)  The President's powers of Commander in Chief are likewise granted by the Constitution; therefore U.N. resolutions presuming to constrain that authority are equally meaningless.

Right to a Canadian Trial:
Rendition may be privilege or punishment, but it is not a right.  Unlawful combatants captured in war are under military authority, thus Article VI is preempted.

Right to a Civilian Trial, Right to a Speedy Trial:
Enemy belligerents have no such rights.
Recent decisions by the Supreme Court have raised issues of justice for enemy belligerents and due process for determining belligerent and lawful vs. unlawful combatant status, so there are many difficult issues which haven't been definitively sorted out just yet.
The last time "unlawful belligerent" status came up we were summarily executing inept Nazi saboteurs whose combatant status was unquestionably obvious.  With terrorists it's a little more tricky, if for no other reason than it's not always obvious whether a particular person of interest is a terrorist.  Not every crazy with a bomb is an unlawful combatant.  But is every Islamic fundamentalist with a bomb?  Who knows?

Geneva Convention:
Doesn't apply to unlawful combatants; re: summary execution of Nazi saboteurs during WWII.  The expectation of Geneva Convention rights for unlawful combatants is a very recent concept.

What legal or humane rights does he have?
At minimum a military tribunal with representation.
The Supreme Court has taken more of an interest in the rights of belligerents and unlawful combatants than at any time in history, so everything is very subject to change.

I'm not sure why people think torture would work
Don't know about torture, but waterboarding works.  It's just a question of perseverence.  If we'd quit waterboarding Khalid Sheik Muhammad after 182 passes we'd have been quite frustrated indeed.  Instead he gave us the names and home addresses of, among others, the [would-be] LA tower bombers -- after 5 sessions and 183 total 'boardings.  Thus in waterboarding we find a lesson for life: if at first you don't succeed, try try again.

it gives more cannon fodder for our enemies to use against us
That's completely ridiculous given the ruthlessness of the Russians.  Were we as ruthless as they or they as restrained as we would fewer children have died in Beslan or more have died on 9/11?

Our enemies are aiming for mass murder with maximum casualties.  They were before we waterboarded them and they would be had we never waterboarded them.  On the other hand, every terrorist network we roll is one less chance at another massacre.
Given our opponents' invariant desire to inflict maximum casualties the only way we can make things worse for ourselves is not if we waterboard but if we fail to.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:08:16 am by Forumsdwarf »
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2010, 09:19:54 am »

Our enemies are aiming for mass murder with maximum casualties.
And yet you never seem to wonder why. Why would they? Why would they risk life and limb to do that? Simple pure satanic hatred? You know something like that doesn't exist, doesn't fall out of a clear sky.

You don't wonder and you don't care. People like you and them make the rest of the world a sad place.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:31 am »

I suddenly want to walk into the united states and blow up your house for hearing you say this
Resolving our political differences with empty threats of violence?  How pathetic.

"it's not 'technically' torture! we're just going to make your day really fucking suck in order to get you to talk" is bullshit still stands
Waterboarding does no permanent physical harm and causes neither "pain" in the classic sense nor lingering ill effects.  Most damaging to your case though is that terrorists can end their coercion at any time by simply telling what they know.  That doesn't rise to the legal definition of "torture", at least not in this neck of the woods.
Perhaps the terrorists should have chosen to attack some other country, one that forbids waterboarding.  Since they know the U.S. is not such a country attacking us anyway is practically begging for a 'boarding.
If it's not torture you wouldn't mind someone boarding you then? After all it's not going to cause you physical harm or "pain" nor lingering ill effects and it would add so much weight to your point.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:42:11 am by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:34 am »

Waterboarding does no permanent physical harm and causes neither "pain" in the classic sense nor lingering ill effects.

But it is traumatic and therefore has the potential to have lingering ill psychological effects.  Hell, starvation, old-fashioned Chinese water torture (or whatever it's called these days), and god knows what else don't necessarily cause any permanent physical harm or "pain" in the classic sense either, so they're not torture either.

Most damaging to your case though is that terrorists can end their coercion at any time by simply telling what they know.  That doesn't rise to the legal definition of "torture", at least not in this neck of the woods.

Isn't that true with all torture that isn't done purely for sick pleasure?  You torture them until they confess something of value.

I want to respond, but all I can say is wow...

the subordination of treaties, granted authority by the Constitution under Article VI, to the remainder of the Constitution.

Pretty much.  We do, first and foremost, operate (in theory, anyway) in accordance with our Constitution.  To do otherwise would undermine its legitimacy (or render it void entirely).  Our leaders may have a long, proud history of ignoring it when it's politically convenient, but we as a people still find it relevant.

Our enemies are aiming for mass murder with maximum casualties.  They were before we waterboarded them and they would be had we never waterboarded them.  On the other hand, every terrorist network we roll is one less chance at another massacre.
Given our opponents' invariant desire to inflict maximum casualties the only way we can make things worse for ourselves is not if we waterboard but if we fail to.

Alternately, you could determine their motive and fix the root problem.  Terrorism has causes, you know.  If you don't cure the underlying problem, you'll have to keep fighting terrorists.  Fighting existing terrorists may be necessary, but fighting new ones is not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:19:08 am by Earthquake Damage »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:01 am »

Don't know about torture, but waterboarding works.  It's just a question of perseverence.  If we'd quit waterboarding Khalid Sheik Muhammad after 182 passes we'd have been quite frustrated indeed.  Instead he gave us the names and home addresses of, among others, the [would-be] LA tower bombers -- after 5 sessions and 183 total 'boardings.  Thus in waterboarding we find a lesson for life: if at first you don't succeed, try try again.
Have you ever felt as if you were drowning 183 times in a row? I'm sure you'd be just fine afterwards.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17