Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .  (Read 14180 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54:19 pm »

I'll admit that it's a matter I should have a lot more to say about.  I'm not exactly sure why I don't, except that I'm ultimately a non-confrontational person, and Iraq is the ultimate in confrontational.  So what should I say?

That Halliburton should be absorbed by the FEC and dismantled at Dick Cheney's personal expense?
That Donald Rumsfeld and Erik Prince should be in prison in the Hague for war crimes?
That everyone who bought an SUV after 2003 should have been drafted to go to Iraq themselves?
That any officer who didn't resign his commission at the first mention of "Stop Loss" should be court-martialed?
That Iraq is going to collapse into anarchy regardless of how long America occupies it, so to argue against withdrawl is blatant idiocy?
That yes, I would in fact prefer to see Saddam Hussein still alive and in power than the alternative?

"It never should have happened for any of the reasons given, the entire American presence should leave yesterday, and everyone in this and the past administration who ever argued that it was good idea should have to answer in federal court for why they thought so," sums up my opinions on the Iraq War.  It was just too fucked in too many different ways for me to form a coherent assessment of, and it winds up touching on every other subject from the past decade.  Litany upon litany of what could have been instead.  It absolutely astounds me, more with each passing year, that there's anyone in the country who thinks any differently.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:58:56 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »

As long as it's being discussed here, since Strife is a fan of it, what is this Salvation War and what's so great about it?  Because being hosted on a "stardestroyer.net" it sounds like a paragon of amateur writing.

Am I being too lazy to Google it myself?  No.  I'm giving you fans an opportunity to gush about this story to sell me on it.

To quote the trope page for it.

"When all Hell breaks loose on Earth, all Earth breaks loose on Hell."

The Salvation War is a Web Original Documentary trilogy that premièred online in the beginning of 2008, asking a simple question- what if God announced that everyone's time was up, and that Lucifer was coming to claim the bodies and souls of everyone on earth?

The answer author Stuart Slade gives- the governments of the world declare war on Heaven and Hell.

Here is the cleaned version of the first book:
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=118771

I don't particularly care for all the anti-religion types on star destroyer itself, but just the story itself is awesome.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2010, 11:19:10 pm »

I don't get it.  We're already in a two-front war in the Middle East, during a recession, with whatever crazy stuff must be going on in Haiti right now, and we declare war on God?

There could have been more diplomacy, I think.  Maybe some kind of economic sanctions.

How do we even invade something like that?
Shoes...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2010, 11:20:24 pm »

I don't get it.  We're already in a two-front war in the Middle East, during a recession, with whatever crazy stuff must be going on in Haiti right now, and we declare war on God?

There could have been more diplomacy, I think.  Maybe some kind of economic sanctions.

How do we even invade something like that?

Well, one would guess that the rest of the world would declare war on God with us, radical islamists kind of lose something when God is confirmed as being evil.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2010, 12:27:17 am »

And Forumsdwarf, if 9/11/2001 is "back to the wall" to you... Really. Turn up the heat a bit, order in a pizza, grab yourself a sugary drink, turn on the tv, sit in your comfy chair and feel afraid and with your back to the wall.
We we closer to the wall than you may have thought. If the reaction time of the Federal Reserve had been 5 minutes slower, our economy would have plummeted faster than in the Great Depression (and imagine where we'd be now!). It was called the world trade center for a reason.

Jude, the Southern States where hands down some of the largest money makers in the union at the time. The only reason the north even won that war was  the fact that the Norths Naval Superiority allowed them to blockade southern ports, and that the European powers where too busy to jump at the chance to defend their cotton supplys and fracture the US.
Well...
At first glance it seemed that the 23 states of the Union were more than a match for the 11 seceding Southern states. There were approximately 21 million people in the North compared with some 9 million in the South (of whom about 3.5 million were slaves). In addition, the Federals possessed over 100,000 manufacturing plants as against 18,000 south of the Potomac River, and more than 70 percent of the railroads were in the North. Furthermore, the Union had at its command a 30-to-1 superiority in arms production

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2010, 12:38:11 am »

And Forumsdwarf, if 9/11/2001 is "back to the wall" to you... Really. Turn up the heat a bit, order in a pizza, grab yourself a sugary drink, turn on the tv, sit in your comfy chair and feel afraid and with your back to the wall.
We we closer to the wall than you may have thought. If the reaction time of the Federal Reserve had been 5 minutes slower, our economy would have plummeted faster than in the Great Depression (and imagine where we'd be now!). It was called the world trade center for a reason.

I believe he was referring to the people who blew up the world trade center, not us.  As in, they believed America was The Great Satan or whatever and were afraid we were going to exploit their land and rape their daughters, so they lashed out and then we went all out.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2010, 01:58:19 am »

As long as it's being discussed here, since Strife is a fan of it, what is this Salvation War and what's so great about it?  Because being hosted on a "stardestroyer.net" it sounds like a paragon of amateur writing.

Am I being too lazy to Google it myself?  No.  I'm giving you fans an opportunity to gush about this story to sell me on it.

To quote the trope page for it.

"When all Hell breaks loose on Earth, all Earth breaks loose on Hell."

The Salvation War is a Web Original Documentary trilogy that premièred online in the beginning of 2008, asking a simple question- what if God announced that everyone's time was up, and that Lucifer was coming to claim the bodies and souls of everyone on earth?

The answer author Stuart Slade gives- the governments of the world declare war on Heaven and Hell.

Here is the cleaned version of the first book:
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=118771

I don't particularly care for all the anti-religion types on star destroyer itself, but just the story itself is awesome.

Good God Almighty, and with every bit of irony.  This... this is... brain poison.  May Apollo have mercy on the man who conjured up this travesty of plot development.  No character construction, wall to wall gun wank, mangling of societal motives to put Isaac Asimov to shame, and some of the most out-of-character fanfic writing I've ever seen, of Secretary Bob Gates no less.

And I'm not even through the second chapter.  At least it's properly typed, I'll give it that.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2010, 02:02:48 am »

Well, at least I like it.....
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2010, 02:06:11 am »

Good God Almighty, and with every bit of irony.  This... this is... brain poison.  May Apollo have mercy on the man who conjured up this travesty of plot development.  No character construction, wall to wall gun wank, mangling of societal motives to put Isaac Asimov to shame, and some of the most out-of-character fanfic writing I've ever seen, of Secretary Bob Gates no less.

And I'm not even through the second chapter.  At least it's properly typed, I'll give it that.

It's a literary masterpiece and you should be ashamed.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2010, 02:07:09 am »

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2010, 02:16:09 am »

What did you expect?  It's a story where guys in tanks and planes fight God.  You know, that Guy that flooded  the Earth and blew up those towns and stuff.

You have to be wanking military hardware so hard its gears bleed to write something like that with any attempt at seriousness.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2010, 02:18:46 am »

I don't care what you say, its like the transformers 2 of internet fiction.

The higher standards you have, the less you like it, and there are way to many explosions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:21:19 am by Realmfighter »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2010, 02:23:41 am »

Well, I've finished the second chapter, and yeah there are way too many explosions.  Gratuitously described explosions, killing demons who are absolutely astounded that nobody's stopping to talk to them.  And George Bush and Gordon Brown chest-bumping over how awesome they are for saying "screw those strawman liberals who want to negotiate with Hell itself, we're in charge and we make the rules when we think it's dangerous outside."

Honestly, the demons' internal conversations are by far the most interesting part of the story.  There's no such thing as a bad concept, and Heaven waging war on Earth is a pretty good one in my book.  But this such an absolute waste of words and inspiration.  If anything might somehow convince me to start writing myself, showing this crap up just might do it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:11 am »

Cool edit, bro.

I saw what it said before.  Are either of those statements supposed to make me more supportive of it?

Oh, the plagues too.  God sent one of his doodz and killed every firstborn child in the entire country.  I'm assuming humanity wins the war somehow, so how do they manage something like that?

I'm not reading the Transformers 2 of internet fiction, so tell me what happens, Strife.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:26:23 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2010, 02:26:39 am »

Not at all.

Just explaining why i like it.

Its mindless fun that makes me fell smarter.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:28:55 am by Realmfighter »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17