Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .  (Read 14199 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

Actually, it's a reference to the Salvation War, a fun little story on Star Destroyer.net.

For the record, I'd go for the normal "my God is a loving God, therefore, whomever said that is no God of mine" line of reasoning, then go do my best to blow Satan and this false god up.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »

I'm really sad that its in permanent hiatus.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2010, 08:18:14 pm »

Actually, it's a reference to the Salvation War, a fun little story on Star Destroyer.net.

For the record, I'd go for the normal "my God is a loving God, therefore, whomever said that is no God of mine" line of reasoning, then go do my best to blow Satan and this false god up.
The implication of this being that it's suddenly all up to us to choose what our god is.

But whatever.  Good luck in the army.  By the way, I'm not sure how it works - do you know if you'll be deployed into a warzone before you sign up, or do they only tell you later?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2010, 08:30:40 pm »

@ Civil war comment: Yeah we could have just let the south go (and hell, probably should have, for all the good it's doing us having them in the country now) but once it was decided not to, they went on the offensive and penetrated into Union territory. So any battles fought there would qualify as defending the US. So would the revolutionary war, I'd say.

Oh?  So we weren't defending our country by fighting the axis powers, who had already bombed us and threatened to take us over anyway if they weren't stopped overseas?
It's really a stretch to call it "defending your country" when no attempt is being made to invade your country

Fighting off the bombers at Pearl Harbor would have been defending the country

We weren't defending our country when we entered (and helped to break the stalemate) of WWI when the Zimmermen note was intercepted?
See above

We weren't defending our country when trying to track down terrorist groups in the middle east?

No

that's part pre-emptive offense and part revenge; defending the country would be thwarting their attacks, which is presumably going on, but by other agencies than the military

So please, stop raining on Strife's parade.

Looks like someone didn't read the OP....
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2010, 08:38:20 pm »

The last time America defended basic freedom wasn't that long ago. You could argue about our current wars, but the Gulf War is unarguably defense of territorial sovereignty.
Oh, that's totally true. Although you absolutely can't make the case that we did it because our motives are pure, or something. Otherwise there are countless other situations in the world where we would/should/could have intervened and did not. If your country does something good, but for selfish/manipulative reasons, and your reason for serving your country is because of morality, then where does that leave your moral case?

In case you don't know, I'm referring to things like us not doing jack shit about Darfur, supporting oppressive governments like Saudi Arabia and Israel and many others, sponsoring overthrows of legitimate governments...based on this, you can't make a case that defending America is defending morality. Any attempts to equate any country's cause or interests with morality (but especially so for a superpower/empire like America) lead to an impossible moral quagmire and only serve the purpose of jingoism.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2010, 08:41:02 pm »

C'mon, Satan never gets any love.  No fans of Paradise Lost here I see.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2010, 08:43:33 pm »

C'mon, Satan never gets any love.  No fans of Paradise Lost here I see.

I chose to read Inferno over Paradise for my current English project.

And Salvation War isn't dead, the last update on book two was six days ago!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2010, 08:47:40 pm »

I chose to read Inferno over Paradise for my current English project.

Damn, that's a tough choice if you can only do one.  You do know the title is The Divine Comedy right?  Inferno is just the famous part.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »

And Salvation War isn't dead, the last update on book two was six days ago!

HOLY SHIT.

ITS GOOGLE TIME!
*EDIT*

Fuck yes!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:53:24 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:44 pm »

As long as it's being discussed here, since Strife is a fan of it, what is this Salvation War and what's so great about it?  Because being hosted on a "stardestroyer.net" it sounds like a paragon of amateur writing.

Am I being too lazy to Google it myself?  No.  I'm giving you fans an opportunity to gush about this story to sell me on it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2010, 09:03:58 pm »

Heaven decree that the world is over, and hell is coming to repossess our souls, and they tell everyone to lay down and die.

We kill Satan in the course of a month.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2010, 09:04:10 pm »

Jude, the Southern States where hands down some of the largest money makers in the union at the time. The only reason the north even won that war was  the fact that the Norths Naval Superiority allowed them to blockade southern ports, and that the European powers where too busy to jump at the chance to defend their cotton supplys and fracture the US.

The revolutionary war was absolutely started by America. I don't want to have to repeat American History class for everyone, but suffice to say, taxes and the "Boston Massacre" don't really count as an attack on our soil. That's of course discounting the fact it technicly was Britains soil at the time.

As for the South not doing anything for America today, that's just blatant ignorance.

It's really a stretch to call it "defending your country" when no attempt is being made to invade your country

Fighting off the bombers at Pearl Harbor would have been defending the country

When you have a Wasp nest outside your house, and you are stung by wasps. Do you decide to just hang back and slap the wasps as they come, or do you attack them at thier source?

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer a military that targets and attacks threats before we've got enemy forces on our shores.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2010, 09:12:17 pm »

Jude, the Southern States where hands down some of the largest money makers in the union at the time. The only reason the north even won that war was  the fact that the Norths Naval Superiority allowed them to blockade southern ports, and that the European powers where too busy to jump at the chance to defend their cotton supplys and fracture the US.

Well, they thought they were the largest money makers at the time.  The Europeans didn't come to the South's aid because cotton plantations in Egypt and India (British colonies of course) were supplanting it.  That's part of why the war started at all, was because the South's cotton wealth was diminishing and Southern legislators wanted punishing trade deals and tariffs to protect their market share.

The North won partly because it had the vastly larger fleet, but also because they had three times the people and virtually all heavy manufacturing and industry, including every cannon foundry in the country.  What the South had was determination (most Southern troops being ideologically committed, if ignorantly) and experience, since most of the American officer corps were second-sons of plantation families.  Northern troops were mostly draftees, immigrants, and state guardsmen.  You can see how this turned out in the course of the war, since the North utterly won despite frequently losing twice or more the number of soldiers in every battle.

The Revolutionary War is a whole other can of worms I don't want to go into unless necessary.  I'll just say that essentially nobody even considered America a separate nation or talked of secession from Britain until 1775, and even then it was mostly a threat to get Parliament to negotiate better terms of colony management.  It kinda went downhill from there.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2010, 09:22:20 pm »

Surprisingly, this thread took longer than I expected to turn into an uncivilized "I am more intelligent than thou, my opinions are objective facts" internet wankfest.

Bay12 still is better than most of the net. ::)

Good luck out there Strife, whatever your reasons.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2010, 09:28:42 pm »

Leave it to Aquzzar to set me strait.

I wish you'd post more about your views on all this though Aqizzar, I seriously want to know your stance on the Iraq war.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17