Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Best Political Ad Ever  (Read 3315 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Political Ad Ever
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:01 am »

I forgot which president, but one of them actually had ads against him that claimed that he was using government money to send a submarine to pick up his dog. He hit back at the other party for making fun of his dog. He got a popular boost for that.

BTW, from what I'm seeing, in the modern world, people who point out their opponent's flaws and brag about their strengths are the ones who are most likely to lose. Malaysia had the biggest ever (well, only major) opponent wins after the party that's been ruling for 50 years started bragging about how they're guaranteed to win and how voting for the opponent would cause national instability.

Yeah, when you attack someone, people vote for them just to see if you're right. I think that's also part of the reason why Bush and Clinton won a second term against all odds. Arnold Sch.. er, the Governator also had a lot of ads accusing him of being a womanizer and pro-Nazi.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:35:13 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:31 am »

Argh. Everybody acts like taxes are the worst thing in the history of mankind and should be exterminated, or, at least, kept as low as possible.
Why don't they see that the government needs their money. They're not raising them for no reason, you know. And the taxes you pay will probably reflect on you in one way or another.

Everyone has this opinion until they have to start paying taxes.

It's horribly off topic, but I just have to share this:
The fish are watching.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 10:50:04 am »

Argh. Everybody acts like taxes are the worst thing in the history of mankind and should be exterminated, or, at least, kept as low as possible.
Why don't they see that the government needs their money. They're not raising them for no reason, you know. And the taxes you pay will probably reflect on you in one way or another.

Ouch. Those Colorado Springers got horribly assraped, but thanks, I think this article brings my point across.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 10:59:49 am »

So wait, let me get this straight. Colorado Springs is suffering because of people refusing tax increases or because the government is horrible at money management?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:29 am »

So wait, let me get this straight. Colorado Springs is suffering because of people refusing tax increases or because the government is horrible at money management?

From what I gather from this article, it seems that they simply did not have enough money. Simply put, the people want something for nothing.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 11:11:00 am »

As I understand it, tax revenue there has gotten so low that local authorities simply can no longer afford to supply for basic needs. Ineffeciency could have made matters worse (lack of information makes that rather hard to judge), but the fact that the local populace is very strongly opposed to taxation in general certainly seems to have been the main cause. Attempts to increase tax revenue have been repeatedly shot down by the voters.

The "my tax dollars rawr" sentiment is very strong there.
The fish are watching.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 11:11:23 am »

Pfft, if government was anything but horrible they'd know how to squeeze blood out of stone ::)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 11:33:59 am »

Sweet sweet vindication.  God I'd love to go to Colorado Springs and start shouting, "How are you supposed to live?  By paying taxes you dumbasses!"  Eh, it's a crap town anyway.  I'm sure it's a hard town to keep funded, since there's not much industry there save for catering to and leeching from military bases, and like anywhere in Colorado they have to budget for snow removal and a very dispersed infrastructure.  Which is exactly why the locals should realize that money doesn't fall from the sky.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

At first I was all "Awww, adorable sheep."
Then I started drifting off a bit, and got woken up by the image of a sheep with red glowing eyes hiding behind a tree.

Well, at least now I'm not sleepy anymore.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 11:38:36 am »

Now, now, I never said don't pay taxes, I just said taxes suck.  They're like vaccinations and not robbing banks.  They suck, but you have to do them or things that suck more will happen.  That doesn't make them not suck, any more than crashing your car makes staying in your lane when there's a huge road all around you not suck.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 11:45:48 am »

Hey, don't accuse me of saying paying taxes doesn't suck.  I never said paying taxes doesn't suck.  Life fucking sucks, and those overgrown babies in Colorado need to learn that.  Local politics is suck toast anyway.  It attracts the most dedicated, most egotistical, least intelligent mistyeyed yahoos with nothing better to do, so you get cities like Colorado Springs with a whole town of people waiting for Mommy to come home and clean up their mess for them after they finish their tantrum.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 03:48:51 pm »

Welcome to the fun world of Fiction, population me and growing.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »

I am beginning to respect and envy ToonyMan more than usual. Why be sane when the rational world is entirely mad? Everything is all nice and orderly when you are insane.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »

That is' till you take a vacation to Toonyland and stray a few blocks outside of the tourist zone, seeing the fell nightmare that is the universe tied up on a couch yelling "IT'S LEAKING!"

But yeah, taxes. Some places need higher rates to sustain themselves. Some places don't have valuable resources that could sustain the place on a lower rate than another place with a bunch of not terribly good things to tax that would require a higher rate to keep the rapists at bay in the spooky woods, the streetlights flickering like the just-broken seal on an ancient evil horde. And after seeing the hard-working members of Industrialtown live with a lower rate the citizens of Backwater Boondocks don't see a reason to pay more because they lack large(Or even small) businesses to hold the homeless and rape barriers at bay.

What was I talking about again? This seems to be more of an observation of the thread than any personal opinion here.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:09 pm »

No, it's just if I was forced to live in the real world 24 hours day I wouldn't be sane very long.
Doesn't mean I can't function though.

Duke makes a good point with the leaking.  IT'S ALWAYS LEAKING.

I hate talking about this kinda stuff though.  More with the fun.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:25:51 pm by ToonyMan »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4