Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Best Political Ad Ever  (Read 3300 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Political Ad Ever
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 08:41:33 am »

Seems like just a populist thing, though.  They criticise him for allowing a large deficit to develop, they criticise him for doing something about it.

I don't think we can draw much from this about Republican policies in general from this ad - we can just tell that whoever made this advert was a massive idiot.  Nothing more.  So let's get back to laughing at demon sheep.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 08:51:43 am »

I was sort of bewildered by the fact that the ad kept cutting to a sheep chewing on grass or something, and then the evil sheep popped in...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

I just love how in USA all election campaigns consist of "The other guy is bad". So what, that doesn't prove you're good. How the hell can that inspire confidence in voters?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 09:22:15 am »

I just love how in USA all election campaigns consist of "The other guy is bad". So what, that doesn't prove you're good. How the hell can that inspire confidence in voters?

It doesn't, which is why there's so much ambivalence in American society.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:29 am »

A lot of them are like that, but it's because it's hard to say you're better without 'winning' a debate with your opponent or 'telling the public' why the other guy isn't good for them.

Then again, there are those that win because they don't do that, which people respect.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:16 am »

because people don't want to solve the problems, they just want to tell the other side they are more wrong than they are. I'd almost be willing to say most of American politics are like this. Few people honestly want to solve the problems, that would require more work than saying the other guy is worse
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 07:34:23 am »

Oh hey, I think I know what I'm going to dress up as next Halloween!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 10:06:09 am »

A lot of them are like that, but it's because it's hard to say you're better without 'winning' a debate with your opponent or 'telling the public' why the other guy isn't good for them.

Then again, there are those that win because they don't do that, which people respect.

Wasn't that how Obama won?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »

Indeed it was. Obama actually ran some ads where he talked positive of McCain, only to say that all that good stuff McCain was aiming for, Obama had plans laid out to do it two times better.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 01:06:51 pm »

Argh. Everybody acts like taxes are the worst thing in the history of mankind and should be exterminated, or, at least, kept as low as possible.
Why don't they see that the government needs their money. They're not raising them for no reason, you know. And the taxes you pay will probably reflect on you in one way or another.

Everyone has this opinion until they have to start paying taxes.
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 02:20:06 pm »

Argh. Everybody acts like taxes are the worst thing in the history of mankind and should be exterminated, or, at least, kept as low as possible.
Why don't they see that the government needs their money. They're not raising them for no reason, you know. And the taxes you pay will probably reflect on you in one way or another.

And of course the ~50% of people who pay taxes and agree with this don't exist.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »

And of course the ~50% of people who pay taxes and agree with this don't exist.

Being an immigrant is fun!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »

These attack-ads are tame compared to how it was back when the elections were first being run.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were calling each other pimps and hermaphrodites, calling each other's wives whores, racist stuff about their parents, it was intense, and they were like best friends before
that.

And anyway, they're just playing to their audience, the people don't want to hear good things, they want to hear bad things.  The trick is just to make sure they're hearing the right bad things.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

These attack-ads are tame compared to how it was back when the elections were first being run.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were calling each other pimps and hermaphrodites, calling each other's wives whores, racist stuff about their parents, it was intense, and they were like best friends before that.

Citation?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

And everyone has that opinion until the government services they use get cut
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4