Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655029 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4395 on: August 10, 2015, 03:10:13 am »

After watching Brave, I really want Bannerlord to allow for other types of mounts besides horses, like elephants. Purely so that a mod can add in mounted bear archers. If bear archers can become a thing, my life will be complete.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4396 on: August 10, 2015, 04:56:59 am »

After watching Brave, I really want Bannerlord to allow for other types of mounts besides horses, like elephants. Purely so that a mod can add in mounted bear archers. If bear archers can become a thing, my life will be complete.
It's possible in regular M&B with mods (as long as the mount is similar to a horse, so no elephants I think), I've seen moose and bear cavalry somewhere.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: August 10, 2015, 06:44:23 am »

The Brytenwalda mod has wild animals you can hunt which are really just invisible soldiers riding reskinned horses. I used to cheat and give myself a wolf to ride around on. If I remember correctly it had some ridiculous charge rating and you could trample over whole armies. I love how broken that mod is.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: August 10, 2015, 10:05:54 am »

I'd be happy just as long as the horses are programmed to be more than just shitting, noisy motorcycles with legs.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: August 10, 2015, 10:07:49 am »

I was about to ask if there was a motorcycle mod.
Apparently the Wastelander mod does: http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6287/bike1g.jpg
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: August 10, 2015, 10:35:31 am »

I was about to ask if there was a motorcycle mod.
Apparently the Wastelander mod does: http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6287/bike1g.jpg

Welp, time to make my own motorcycle gang in M&B.

"Zendar Snakes rule! We're the Zendar Snakes! That's us and we rule!"
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4401 on: August 10, 2015, 10:42:56 am »

I have a list of M&B mods I'd like to make one day. One of them involved a post-apocalyptic Calradia where all of the (entirely new) faction were riding around on motorbikes, duking it out with chains clubs and lances. 80's dust-fi style, tight leather jackets and mohawks galore.

Yeah, the closest system to this (the physical access to gear thang) I've seen so far is from the original Sword of Damocles. You'd 'level' up a soldier and in order to progress them down the troop tree you'd have to bring them to a player-owned castle or city and upgrade them there for a fee.
I think I've actually got this one some time ago. Never played it much and can't remember if it was vanilla or Warband. But sounds cool, might wanna check it out once I come around to playing M&B again, thanks.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4402 on: August 10, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Really, as long as you can keep it between your legs, you can have any mount you want.
Star Wars conquest for original M&B had them jetbikes (or whatever they were called, I was into SW long ago), speeders and even floating chairs for fat races (Hutts). I think I saw a car somewhere (Festung Breslau mod maybe?), but it was incredibly shitty in terms of how it worked, because really it was an oversized horse that looked like a car, so it did some funny things.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: August 10, 2015, 09:22:05 pm »

If you think the horses in M&B are bad you haven't tried War of the Roses.

E: I don't feel like double posting but there's finally a new blog. It seems the video either contains some things I didn't notice in the other video or was left out of the other video.

The siege engines are (probably) not going to be pre-placed on the map like they are in M&B, and instead you can choose where to put them on a 'deployment screen'.
Castles are now fully integrated with villages, which means that settlement produces goods and has economic impact. The four sides of a village can all be made into different types of production, with the unique option of turning one into a castle.
This is kinda strange. I watched the video and I don't remember seeing the village management screen before (or was it in the "b-reel"?). In any case, villages look like they will be much more interesting to own and manage.

They mention a few things about combat, but the most interesting thing I see is the bit about hitting multiple opponents with a single swing. Realistically, this is silly. For gameplay... maybe it could work.

In the item descriptions there's a new "culture" value, alongside weight and armor etc. I wonder if wearing a bunch of one culture's armor into a place hostile to said culture will have any interesting effect?

"Each of the game's six cultures has their own boardgame, originally designed but inspired by real historical games. These can also be played with ladies and lords, as well as other NPCs in the game for role-playing and diplomatic purposes." Yeah... sure... okay... but hey, maybe this functionality can lead to some interesting modding stuff?

On weapon crafting: "One feature not shown in the video is length adjustment; it's actually possible to tweak the exact length of certain parts such as blades to get exactly the kind of weapon you want." Dark Souls-style Zweihander, here I come. I still wish you could make and color your own armor though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:39:32 pm by OzyTheSage »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:32 pm »

Loaded an old game where I'm level 38 and have successfully helped Yaroglek force the other factions from Calradia, ensuring a lasting peace.

Obviously, I wanted to shake that up.  But sadly, all the claimants are gone.  Non-Vaegir claimants presumably went home, and Prince Valdym the Bastard Claimant left too.  Apparently claimants can only stay in other factions' holdings for... retroactively obvious reasons.

Anyway, I've started a rebellion anyway.  I'm outnumbered of course, but I hold Uxkhal Suno Veluca and Yalen.
yeah, I'm basically the rhodoks vs everybody

I fought a battle with Yaroglek after officially resigning, and... wow.  I kinda forgot how much the AI cheats in this.  As of right now, I feel no guilt whatsoever in taking 1/4 damage and 1/2 damage for friendlies.  Particularly if that applies to tournament fights, because my allies get slaughtered in that regardless.

But even in combat, it's ridiculous.  1/2 damage for allies seems to make things roughly even.  I have no grasp of the fancy tactics, I just park my guys on a tall hill (with an emphasis on ranged) but I still feel like the 1/2 damage thing only brings things up to "fair".  Eh, except in sieges...  We slaughter the enemies in those.

So maybe the AI doesn't cheat against my allies.  But it sure as hell does cheat against me!  The worst of course is the mass of infantry who swing through each other, blocking in multiple directions.  Whereas my swings bounce off my allies.  I'm trying to hit the rightmost one, but nooo, his friend off to the left blocks it.  And hit detection from a horse is just... flip, I should make a video about this, it's ridiculous.  EVEN after I learned to stare at the horizon while swinging.  Because looking at one's opponent obviously means "shave your horse".  Ugh.

This character has killed 9539 men to get to this point, and is a queen.  She has 2838 renown.  King Yaroglek has 1540 renown.
Yet he has 400 men while I have 164.  164.  That's cheating!!  It's also tedious as all get out.  I kill 90 men, my 90 men kill another 90 (despite taking half damage, mind) and we're back to "Yaroglek faces you with 220 men to your 50"
This is somehow as tedious as XCOM with Long War.  It's crazy.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4405 on: August 11, 2015, 07:49:56 pm »

The worst of course is the mass of infantry who swing through each other, blocking in multiple directions.  Whereas my swings bounce off my allies.  I'm trying to hit the rightmost one, but nooo, his friend off to the left blocks it.
This.
This so much.
It's so fucking retarded.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: August 11, 2015, 07:58:59 pm »

The AI doesn't really cheat much, so far as I'm aware. Well, aside from party size, but the player has the advantage in being smart enough to have a good composition. I've seen the bouncing-off-allies things happen to the AI as well, at least in some cases. Playing with damage reduction on for me always felt a bit boring, and now it feels incredibly cheap after playing with it off.

My basic strategy to not die or lose men in fights (which usually works even when hopeless outnumbered) is to find a hill (even an extremely gentle incline will do), order ranged units to stand at the top of it, and then order infantry to stand in front and below them with the "stand closer" command spammed about 5 times. If I have cavalry, I find another adjacent hill and hide them behind it until the time is right to order them to charge (or use the "follow me" command).

After that setup, I find it's best to rush at the enemy army, kill their commander so they no longer give orders (sometimes it'll just be a random basic troop standing behind the main line, if the noble's health is too low), and then aggro all their cavalry so they chase me around harmlessly. So long as your infantry can make a decent shieldwall, they'll mince anything that trickles toward them, protecting the ranged units while they shoot over the infantry's heads. Without the commander, all the enemy units will simply charge in, so as long as you stay alive long enough to distract the really dangerous enemies, it should be a slaughter.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:01:08 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: August 11, 2015, 08:03:49 pm »

Yeah well I'm not playing Medieval Total War, I'm trying to stab people from a horse.  But they're BLOCKING
After that setup, I find it's best to rush at the enemy army, kill their commander so they no longer give orders (sometimes it'll just be a random basic troop standing behind the main line, if the noble's health is too low), and then aggro all their cavalry so they chase me around harmlessly.

The hell!?
The AI seems to be "rush at you".  Unless they greatly outnumber you, or have a certain party size, in which case they blithely advance by stages.  *Maintaining formation as I shoot them from the flank with arrows*
After a certain threshold, they switch back to rushing

That's the entire AI, as far as I've ever seen
She/they

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4408 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »

I've seen the bouncing-off-allies things happen to the AI as well, at least in some cases.
That is horrendously rare, as opposed to all the time, even if it shouldn't, for you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: August 11, 2015, 08:32:00 pm »

The AI isn't very complicated, but the commander bit is something I thought most people are aware of. While bandits and the like won't have a leader, armies involving nobles will most often have a commander, who stands behind the other units and gives the orders to move them forward. It can sometimes be nice to leave them with the commander so they stay in that line while advancing (it's really easy to kill their cavalry's horses when they do this), but the main reason why I prefer having them charge in as soon as possible is to avoid them being grouped together when they reach your army. If they charge earlier, you'll get a steady trickle of enemies due speed/athletics differences, whereas if they're allowed to advance in the line they'll often end up with their ranged units in a good position and all the infantry attacking at once (while the cavalry flank, since they're usually on the edge of the line). Knocking out the commander also gives a morale hit to the enemy's army, making them more likely to retreat and panic.

Though if you're playing with disgusting Rhodoks, I dunno, just get a bunch of sharpshooters and enjoy a snack until it's over.

I've seen the bouncing-off-allies things happen to the AI as well, at least in some cases.
That is horrendously rare, as opposed to all the time, even if it shouldn't, for you.

It isn't even uncommon, if you pay attention to the behaviors of masses of infantry. If it isn't an overhead attack, it'll probably bounce, or they'll cancel it before swinging.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 310