Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656217 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4005 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:14 pm »

Yeah it's just that with MB engine prolonged duelling with rapid chambering and blocks just looks really odd in my opinion, but hilarious.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 23, 2015, 09:26:32 pm »

I guess. It's not very realistic, but it's fun. I don't like cRPG though because the difference in speed between any two players attacks can really damage your ability to fight. Thus leading to things like feint spamming, which really aren't effective in native or nw.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:05 pm »

I tend to use two handed swords and bows. I haven't managed to get the hang of spears and I always seem to either be standing too close or too far to deal damage with a spear stab. It's seems really slow and enemies easily block it with their shields.

I think the main point of the spear stab is to stop horses in their tracks. Otherwise use the spear as you would a staff on foot. Obviously like a lance on horses.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 24, 2015, 03:27:13 am »

I've had very little success with spearing horses in multiplayer.  Then again, I also usually have 150 ping.  Horsing in general is weird at 150 ping.

A spear is a pretty neat support weapon, I've found.  Grab a good shield and a spear and gang up with your team, poke dudes when they're distracted and keep your shield up otherwise.  The range makes the pokes easier.  Otherwise, I am told that if you're using a spear, you need to spam feints pretty hard.  I really wish the minimum range to damage wasn't a thing with spears, and the singular strike direction also kinda blows, but hey.  I REALLY hope they make bracing spears a vanilla thing in Bannerlord, though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 24, 2015, 03:39:21 am »

Does "bracing spears" mean readying a spear, and something is automatically hit if it runs into range?
Because that makes a lot of sense.  Medieval spearmen didn't have to perfectly time thrusts, just point spears at the enemy and the other end into the ground.  Mobile caltrops, practically.

Single-player mount&blade became tiresome for me because the fame mechanic asked me to face huge swarms of enemies, yet insanely allowed them to combine their blocks.  So I need to take on 5 guys, but if any of them are blocking left then my swing bounces off... and they all hit me.

Or I could ride a horse around for an hour taking out individual enemies with couched lances, but screw that to hell.  And doubly screw horse archery.  Besides, if the enemy has a shield they magically absorb the couched lance anyway (at the cost of their shield).

Though to be honest I'm probably just not good at the game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 24, 2015, 04:43:45 am »

The trick is to get gigantic armies.

The trick to do that is to get a fief.

The trick to do that is bet on yourself and win at tournaments.

The trick to do that is to avoid dying first, attack enemies second.

And that's how you play Mount & Blade.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 24, 2015, 04:55:56 am »

Avoiding dying first and attacking enemies second is pretty hard, even as relatively experienced multiplayer, uh, player.  You just wanna slay all the mans, so you put down your shield to swing at some mans, and then you are dead.  Alternatively, you have a twohander, and then you are dead.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:39 am »

Nono, singleplayer. I'm talking about singleplayer. Ha, multiplayer, you're just another part of the meat grinder. Good fun.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 24, 2015, 05:23:40 am »

I have killed a LOT of armies singlehandedly by running in circles until all their ammo is used up, then picking them off one by one with the longest weapon I can find. 300 elite units? Not a problem, circle and poke to death.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:09 pm »

Kinda want to see how it would work with 300 Rhodok Sharpshooters.  :P  But yeah, in the single player game you are supposed to be the biggest damage dealer in your army, but I agree that grinding renown is insanely tedious.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 24, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »

Silverstag seems to do something about that, from what I can tell; there's an ability that makes your renown go up more than usual, and if you join the Nords one of their basic troops has that ability (and the troops are some of the best basic troops in the mod, next to maybe player faction sharpshooters/sergeants).

Also, I can't get to be the biggest damage dealer because those damn huscarls do ludicrous damage, heheh.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »

I used to play Floris. It was pretty good, I think.

Now I open it once in a blue moon to make good use of my superheavy horse archer.

Biggest armor, jousting lance (ramming high tier units to go and capture them and then get money as the ransom broker/ include them in your army. Also couched lance is just awesome, but poking with lances is also fine), two handed sword (Or the biggest blunt 2H i can find), and a bow and arrows.

Horse depends of what is available. Generally I go with an armored warhorse because the classical horse-archer light, fast, manoeuvrable horse gets to get destroyed that easy and then the game becomes a chore once you're infantry with an useless lance.

At least I still can be a good archer/shock troop.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 24, 2015, 04:53:27 pm »

I did the horse archer thing, but as of late when I play Warband I go for Phantasy Calradia. And I favor necromancer/wizard combos. With enough necromancy you can summon shadow knights out of thin air. With enough magic you can sweep the walls with fireballs while barely whithin archer range. Combine the two and you can wipe out gigantic garrisons by cleansing the troops at the walls and then using your elite shadow knights as shock troopers against whatever pitiful remnants survived your hellfire.

Holding such castles is trickier. I normally try to build up a critical mass of cheap undead to discourage enemy siege parties.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 24, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »

Phantasy fireballs are great. I mean, they're not challenging, or balanced, or anything... but they're great. It's just so satisfying to throw one at a group of stuff and watch it all die.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 24, 2015, 05:29:44 pm »

They're probably the most massively overpowered thing I've seen in this game and all mods for it.

It only costs 65000 denars to get the full set of archmage wear (which is ludicrously easy to get, since you can bet 10000 denars on yourself in tournaments and the tournaments at Wizard Tower gives everyone the same equipment, staffs and rocks, which are basically what you're using anyway when you're a wizard), and when you're at magic level 7 or so (21 intelligence), you can solo cities on offense. The Archmage Staff also instakills pretty much everything when charged at that level, too.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 310