Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656146 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4020 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:45 pm »

Phantasy fireballs are great. I mean, they're not challenging, or balanced, or anything... but they're great. It's just so satisfying to throw one at a group of stuff and watch it all die.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:36 pm »

Also, elves. The elves in that game are OP as hell. You can get Eldritch Knights by going hunter->warrior->spellsword->eldritch knight or something like that, and they're basically if Nordic Veterans could also throw fireballs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: March 24, 2015, 11:27:12 pm »

I have killed a LOT of armies singlehandedly by running in circles until all their ammo is used up, then picking them off one by one with the longest weapon I can find. 300 elite units? Not a problem, circle and poke to death.

This was how I first learned to be successful in single-player as well.  But eventually, I got good enough to play an effective foot soldier, who could actually fight in and survive battles.  You can't carry them single-handedly, of course.  You have to play the early game very carefully, and depend much more on proper army building and leadership.  But the victories are so much more satisfying.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:00 am »

One thing I like about the Gekokujo mod is that it is quite effective towards the "one man army" strategy.

Early on you need to block attacks and dodge to prevent damage but once you get the proper samurai armour you can shrug off most attacks and arrows and wade right into combat. Increasing you melee skills means you can swing away with your sword faster than the enemy can block. I've held off enemy armies with little more than myself and a bodyguard of 4 companions standing at the top of castle stairs. Likewise, charging into the middle of a group of 40 rogue ashigaru, knowing they can barely hurt you, is quite fun.

My current character is equipped with a nakimaki, katana and a bow. The nagimaki is a sword with a handle as long as the blade and actually counts as a polearm in game.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 25, 2015, 01:33:39 am »

Silverstag's health regen from killing enemies is also OP. Just sieged Tihr, total kills by my army was 331. I personally got 80.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4025 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:37 am »

Kinda want to see how it would work with 300 Rhodok Sharpshooters.  :P  But yeah, in the single player game you are supposed to be the biggest damage dealer in your army, but I agree that grinding renown is insanely tedious.
I've had M&B for years but it was only in my last game few months ago that I figured out tournaments help a lot with upping the renown.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: March 25, 2015, 01:37:37 am »

Tournaments are basically my only way of doing it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: March 25, 2015, 01:38:46 am »

Tournaments are a staple of every M&B game I play ever. They're how I get my money, my renown, and just about everything else.
If I find a mod has removed tournaments (which is very rare), that mod gets deleted immediately.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:21 am »

On the subject of tourney's, do you guys prefer vanilla tourney's or the improved tourneys in things like Floris?

Personally I enjoy the improved ones, but tend to rage at them quite a bit more too :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:13:15 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:44 am »

On the subject of tourney's, do you guys prefer vanilla tourney's or the improved tourneys in things like Floris?

Personally I enjoy the improved ones, but tend to rage at them quite a bit more too :P

There can sometimes be less of the "Here's four throwing axes, a shield and dagger, have at that guy with a two handed hammer", but the A.I's... single minded nature leads to horses running into walls and staying there or chasing after you after their horse has been downed.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: March 25, 2015, 06:02:54 am »

To me the most enjoyable tournaments are the ones in which there is no horse, the mounted AI is so broken in those closed areas that it removes all the fun and all the possible challenge when you see after a minute or two nearly all the mounted warriors being stuck on the wall, easy picking for any of your charges.

Infantry-only tournaments are much more fun to me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: March 25, 2015, 10:56:11 am »

Yeah, I seldom do tournaments in Khergit lands for that reason.

You know, despite being frustratingly unable to master the late-game mechanics, the game can still be a lot of fun.  I think I still have that mod (Freelancer?) which lets you travel around in a lord's army for money and loot.  Being a simple Vaegir marksman was surprisingly satisfying.  Didn't have to worry about casualties, or training, or tiny army size caps...  Just being an exemplary and well-rewarded sniper.

I think I'll boot the game back up, and maybe play my way up the Nord footsoldier ranks this time, then use MBTweak to skip the fame-grind by granting myself several hundred max-army-size.  I'll still be limited by gold, so there'll still be satisfying progression, but at a drastically faster pace.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 25, 2015, 03:54:04 pm »

Floris, but that makes me rage more often for the opposite reason from normal, I.E that my team keeps winning and that sucks because if my team all dies but me I can solo the rest of the enemies because they have no idea what to do with a horseback person.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 25, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »

Personally I've found the best renown source to be soloing sea raiders. Despite being the most valuable bandits, in my experience they're the easiest to solo on full player damage due to the lack of ranged attacks. It's easy enough to ride around exhausting their throwing weapons, and then killing the archers (if you have a tanky horse that can survive a few hits) leaving just the melee guys to be carefully killed. They give tons of renown and valuable loot that's also good enough to use or keep for companions later, and have fewer archers than some of the other bandits.

If you want to be a super cheeseball, you can also just equip a bow and let them form a conga line right behind you, getting point blank headshots. At that point you might as well be cheating, though.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:24 pm »

Alright, that's it.  I have to play some M&B now.  Let's see how Silverstag is doing.  Looked really promising several months ago.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 310