Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655922 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3840 on: November 16, 2014, 11:50:12 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

Now, I'm in a bit of a rage inducing situation. See, I'm with Swadia, and I want a castle. Now, I HAVE gotten castles, but I can't hold it.

Swadia has been at war with the Khergits for ages. I have gotten various castles, but when I do, it is guaranteed that the Khergits will come (with 1000 horsemen in tow) and take it in about a day.

Now the biggest issue. I am essentially the only effective lord in the kingdom, as most lords are either busy patrolling their turf endlessly, while the others are scattered everywhere  making small attacks and getting captured.

What do B12? What do?
IIRC M&B has no ally weapon collision, so get yourself a long 2hander, block the siege stairs with heavy infantry and hack away from behind your troops.
As long as your archers can handle the archers on the ground and you got a few tanky fodders to spare most sieges are quite cheeseable.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:26 am »

Are there any mods that significantly change/outright remove sieges?

I would imagine that the oft mentioned western mod has no such things, for example.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: November 17, 2014, 01:38:41 am »

They do have sieges actually. No ladders or siege towers, but wonderful massive shootouts varying on the hotel or town you're taking. It is very changed, since the role you play is much greater. You often need to personally gun down 20+ people in the storm of bullets and smoke.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: November 17, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

Now, I'm in a bit of a rage inducing situation. See, I'm with Swadia, and I want a castle. Now, I HAVE gotten castles, but I can't hold it.

Swadia has been at war with the Khergits for ages. I have gotten various castles, but when I do, it is guaranteed that the Khergits will come (with 1000 horsemen in tow) and take it in about a day.

Now the biggest issue. I am essentially the only effective lord in the kingdom, as most lords are either busy patrolling their turf endlessly, while the others are scattered everywhere  making small attacks and getting captured.

What do B12? What do?

Depending on the castle, some of them can be cheesed by doing things like ordering ranged units off the walls and into the courtyard for a shooting gallery. Since you're fighting against Khergits, who are the weakest in sieges, that should work well. If you have like, 60 of those garbage tier swadian crossbowmen (the ones who wear pajamas and come with wooden clubs), you can probably hold out against 1000 Khergits, since massed crossbows should be better than their trickle of archers coming up to the walls.

Yep, IIRC Khergits are the worst sieging faction, defensively and offensively. Defend the siege personally with some crossbowman, shove your top tier at ladder or siege tower chokes, and it's open season.

I'd but the infantry at the top of the stairs, away from the battlements and the ladders (like in this screenshot I took), or even at the bottom of the stairs if you're not confident in them being able to hold the position. If the infantry are too close to the battlements, they'll get pinged at from the side by archers that haven't climbed the ladders yet.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: November 17, 2014, 03:39:07 pm »

It would be nice to have a bit of time to prepare siege defence, sometimes there are very good archer nests but only a few archers and it's awkward trying to get more archers there but not all of them and then for them to actually be firing at the enemy instead of moving into position.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: November 17, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »

IN the Red War mod, what exactly are grenades good for? They seem to do no damage.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:49 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

What do B12? What do?
IIRC M&B has no ally weapon collision, so get yourself a long 2hander, block the siege stairs with heavy infantry and hack away from behind your troops.
As long as your archers can handle the archers on the ground and you got a few tanky fodders to spare most sieges are quite cheeseable.

There is ally weapon collision in M&B unless it is modified in a server or mod. These are the exception and very far in between however. These attacks just do no damage to friendly troops which again can be modified except this one is more easily togglable. It is possible however to slash through your own troops under certain conditons although this method requires a lot of technique that probably isn't possible to explaon fully in text form.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: November 17, 2014, 10:30:59 pm »

Is it a Swadian or Khergit castle?  As someone who keeps conquering Swadian castles, they are THE WORST to defend.  Its only a tiny bit better than doing a pitched battle.  The irony is that actual Swadians would be better off in the open field where they can make use of their cavalry.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: November 18, 2014, 02:31:56 am »

So, git M&B from GoG.

What do B12? What do?

There is ally weapon collision in M&B unless it is modified in a server or mod. These are the exception and very far in between however. These attacks just do no damage to friendly troops which again can be modified except this one is more easily togglable. It is possible however to slash through your own troops under certain conditons although this method requires a lot of technique that probably isn't possible to explaon fully in text form.
You mean in the original M&B? It's been a big great while since I touched that, but the pleasant memories of hacking away dozens of dudes from behind my wall of Nord/Swadian tanks are just so vivid and sweet, please don't tell me it was a dream all along  :-\

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: November 18, 2014, 02:39:25 am »

If you are on a horse, it becomes much easier to attack "through" your troops, as, unless you go Khergit, most are gonna be on the ground. And, honestly, if you go Khergit horse archer, they slaughter everything.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:32 am »

IN the Red War mod, what exactly are grenades good for? They seem to do no damage.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, sometimes they decide to spawn the explosion on you instead of on the place they were dropped... yeah, they're buggy like that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:39 am »

Trying to move mods over to the GOG version. Tested 1866 and Star Wars Conquest so far. No mod-specific music so far. Had an issue where character models tried to stretch into the blue yonder, but that only happened once. I also still have the issue where the executable doesn't close right, and I need task manager to jkill it to gt back to the dcesktop.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: November 19, 2014, 10:01:35 am »

I think the problem of the music in 1866 is the mp3 format used instead of the ogg , maybe gog version has some trouble with it and only enhanced can read without a problem.

Anyways for those that want to play 1866 with the music, i converted all the mp3 into ogg and modified the music.txt accordingly.

Download the archive on that dropbox page

In oggmusic-1866.rar you'll find a folder named music and a file named music.txt
Replace the folder named music in the 1866 module by this one , and replace the file named music.txt from the same 1866 module by the new one.

This way i have all the musics playing in 1866 on my gog version of M&B1

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: November 19, 2014, 02:27:33 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

What do B12? What do?

i don't know if this will work for you, but in warband, i used attrition against great odds.  leave a tiny garrison, while you take a small army and harass and skirmish them along the edges (before they actually get to your castle).
if they are already there, let them take it.  they will leave a small garrison and move on to another target.  go immediately in and take it back.

since they are kerghits, i usually just tank them on the field.  an army of about 60 huscarls can take on a 1000 mounted screaming khergits.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: November 19, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »

I hope you don't think they are using their own troops to garrison, because they aren't. They just spawn troops when they capture a fortress or town.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 310