Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656062 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3270 on: February 05, 2014, 08:17:59 pm »

It definitely did not do anything like stopping a weapon if it didn't have enough power to go through. It did if there was a parry, but as you can see from this gameplay video the weapons just sailed right through the bodies.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »

listen, all I wanted was better collision detection!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »

If games can track dozens of bullets being fired by twin miniguns on an AH-6 independently with bullet penetration and ricochets on top of everything else that happens to be going on including the thickness/composition of objects being penetrated by said bullets and flight model required to keep the AH-6 in flight... I don't see why 'realistic sword physics' would be too hard to do.

Besides, it doesn't even have to be realistic sword physics, just some kind of feedback of some sort that your sword has struck something. Warband already has this, but it only applies to scenery objects (and the terrain in some mods) where if you swing a weapon and it hits an object it will bounce off.. It's a pretty rudimentary system but it shouldn't be too insanely difficult. For a more advanced system just imagine stabbing somebody with a spear (or any weapon really) and having your weapon actually punch through their flesh (and bodies in some cases) and your weapon actually 'sticks in' to them for a second before you yank it out. Or what if you hack at somebody's head with your battle axe? Surely your axe would be stuck in their (presumably unarmored) head just before they ragdoll to the ground. Procedural animation can already pull this kind of stuff off, it's just making sure that players aren't doing silly things like jumping around or spinning like a top while they happen that would make it difficult. They would need to redo the way movement works before fancy stuff like that would happen, and if they don't rework the whole system then the more rigid animations would work fine as long as the system knows just when to 'stop' the animation and play a recovery animation.

EDIT: What I would really like to see though is a damage system based more on the 'follow-through' of the attack more than the initial point where the weapon has struck.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:29:20 pm by OzyTheSage »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:01 pm »

If you're so confident it can be done, you're probably wasting your talent as you could probably be the first to do it. Or you could market yourself to the dev team saying you could do it for them as a freelancer.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: February 05, 2014, 09:22:11 pm »

If you're so confident it can be done, you're probably wasting your talent as you could probably be the first to do it. Or you could market yourself to the dev team saying you could do it for them as a freelancer.

that's unfair, there are a lot of reasons why such a game wouldn't be made. One, it's probably got a relatively small potential audience in comparison to more established genres. Two, most companies probably just aren't interested in making that game, for a myriad of reasons, one being the previous example. Three, it's time-consuming, it might be relatively simple, but you better bet that most of it will have to programmed from the ground up for anything more than a simple change in animations.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: February 05, 2014, 09:29:43 pm »

_Die By the Sword_ had awesome sword fight physics simulation, and was very popular in its very niche market.

Unfortuneatly, it was far to grogtastic (grognardoriffic?) for it to have been more widely successful. 

And no one ever bothered again.

I mean seriously: you could differentiate between pronating and supinating your hand.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: February 05, 2014, 09:31:11 pm »

I'm fairly sure it can be done, you know what inverse kinematics are right? It's the same principle. Like I said, the problems come from having to change the way the game plays/the player moves a bit to make it more believable, that's why it would probably be better to go with a more simple approach that doesn't look as good but functions the same without having to dramatically change the game.

EDIT: Most modern games you see just use canned animation to get that kind of effect, that's why they seem so stiff and usually takes control away from the player. Trying to get it to work the way i'm describing is possible, it would just look really wacky =p
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:41:23 pm by OzyTheSage »

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: February 06, 2014, 01:04:17 am »

If you guys are looking for gruesome medieval fights go for: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

I'd like to keep M&B less grotesque and bloody.
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

I'm not asking for gruesome fights I'm asking for weapons to make physical contact with enemies. I don't even think Chivalry does that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: February 11, 2014, 11:37:24 pm »

So I started playing the prophesy of pendor mod, and I was wondering if you could play as a heretic, or anything outside the kingdoms.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: February 12, 2014, 03:35:03 am »

So I started playing the prophesy of pendor mod, and I was wondering if you could play as a heretic, or anything outside the kingdoms.

Nope. Pendor says you're a hero, so thou must a hero be.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3281 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:59 am »

Although, you could make happy with the various evil factions by carefully joining their side in battles you come across. You can also speak to elf prisoners and 'send them back to their homeland' for bonus points- so if you come across a large battle, (preferably 2-3 v 1 against the elves), join in and !ALWAYS! send the troops to fight. You get both more prisoners and fewer dead henchmen that way. You can sometimes get more rep by doing that than what joining them would've netted. (I recommend save-fagging...)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: February 12, 2014, 09:22:23 am »

Although, you could make happy with the various evil factions by carefully joining their side in battles you come across. You can also speak to elf prisoners and 'send them back to their homeland' for bonus points- so if you come across a large battle, (preferably 2-3 v 1 against the elves), join in and !ALWAYS! send the troops to fight. You get both more prisoners and fewer dead henchmen that way. You can sometimes get more rep by doing that than what joining them would've netted. (I recommend save-fagging...)

Nope. Your relations with the evil factions reset every now and then back to the initial value.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: February 12, 2014, 10:19:28 am »

I don't know about the 'evil' factions.  But the elves, well I think end game, you are supposed to make friends with them.  The freeing elf prisoner thing seems to be the way to do it.
The bastards are pretty overpowered.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: February 12, 2014, 11:45:37 am »

I'm not asking for gruesome fights I'm asking for weapons to make physical contact with enemies. I don't even think Chivalry does that.

Isn't "Overgrowth" the ninja rabbit combat simulator billing itself as doing just that? I've never tried it because even Mount and Blade kicks my ass in multiplayer, but it looks right up your alley: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54318.0
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 310